Niceness vs being taken advantage of?

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
Feudd
New Trial Member

Niceness vs being taken advantage of?

Post by Feudd »

Hi, this is my first post here so forgive me if this is a trivial question.

One big dilemma I've always had is related the meaning of niceness or selflessness in a way, which is something I try to be.

I try to treat everyone I meet as nicely as possible, helping them when they need help, including them when they feel left out, etc. I say try here, because I am not always successful and/or consistent in this.

But in doing this, I sometimes find people who try to take advantage of my willingness to help. Most of the time I am aware of this, but I help anyway, for reasons I will explain.

So my personal belief is that if you follow true selflessness (which is impossible but sometthing I and others might strive for) then that even means helping those that seek to take advantage of you. That's why I try to help anyone I can, even if they are bad people.

However naturally the question arises of whether its worth it.

Just wanted to see where you guys sit on this issue, and hear some views different from mine.

Leon
Favorite Philosopher: Epictetus

Re: Niceness vs being taken advantage of?

Post by Leon »

Hi, please do a search on tit-for-tat strategy. Only being nice is not a good strategy. However you can also decide to take the consequences if you are able not to suffer from being taken advantage of.
AceOfBlades
New Trial Member

Post by AceOfBlades »

Do as you can live most easily with yourself doing. Let not society nor common sense dictate your actions or beliefs, unless you are content to allow them to do so.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Feudd wrote:Hi, this is my first post here so forgive me if this is a trivial question.

One big dilemma I've always had is related the meaning of niceness or selflessness in a way, which is something I try to be.

I try to treat everyone I meet as nicely as possible, helping them when they need help, including them when they feel left out, etc. I say try here, because I am not always successful and/or consistent in this.

But in doing this, I sometimes find people who try to take advantage of my willingness to help. Most of the time I am aware of this, but I help anyway, for reasons I will explain.

So my personal belief is that if you follow true selflessness (which is impossible but sometthing I and others might strive for) then that even means helping those that seek to take advantage of you. That's why I try to help anyone I can, even if they are bad people.

Just wanted to see where you guys sit on this issue, and hear some views different from mine.

In order to advise you correctly I need to know how you feel when you help someone who is taking advantage of you.
"As usual... it depends."
Misty
Premium Member

Post by Misty »

Feudd wrote:Hi, this is my first post here so forgive me if this is a trivial question.

T hanks :)
It is not being 'nice' to help someone you know is using you as this will help them perfect their abuse of you and other people.

Letting yourself be used by another person is not being 'nice' to yourself.

You say you help people even if 'they are bad people' - It depends on what kind of help you are giving them that makes your help a nice gesture.
Things are not always as they appear; it's a matter of perception.

The eyes can only see what the mind has, is, or will be prepared to comprehend.

I am Lion, hear me ROAR! Meow.
Felix

Post by Felix »

So then you have an ulterior motive for your niceness? Are you for striving for sainthood or what?
"We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are." - Anaïs Nin
Skydude
Favorite Philosopher: Immanuel kant

Post by Skydude »

Being nice to somebody is not the same as doing someone good. When you choose to help someone that you know is just using your kindness for their own gain not only are you being foolish but you are also harming them by enabling them to perfect the use of their abusive behavior. In doing all of this you have not only done harm to yourself and the one that is abusing you but also you have done harm to all those that are taken advantage of after you have been used for whatever it is you offer. The choice comes down to the individual when deciding to help someone but the actual effects of your kindness needs to be considered before being blindly generous as it can have negative effects as well as positive.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

There is a danger of becoming an enabler, encouraging destructive behaviours.
Skydude

Post by Skydude »

Thank you greta for explaining that much better than I.
Gary S
Favorite Philosopher: Greta

Post by Gary S »

It is ironic that if this same question of niceness was posed concerning the vast welfare system, the answers above would be entirely different. Enablers are enablers, regardless of the scale of the endeavor.
Skydude

Post by Skydude »

I am on disability and I really wish I could help out in the economy of the country but I cannot survive without the help of ssdi. It would be nice if there was some kind of program where you can work the days your able and that money is put back as taxes to the state as for welfare people should be required to go through programs that rehabilitate them and put them back into working society. Another thing is that in some areas the cost of living is so high that if you dont have A nine to five job you have trouble making ends meet and for many being single parents or those that do have minor disabilities(like A broken back or something) the welfare system is needed. I do agree though there are many people who backpack off of the tax payers money when they should be helping themselves So yes I suppose the argument can go both ways.
Wilson
Favorite Philosopher: Eric Hoffer

Post by Wilson »

Feudd, I think that it's great that you want to be good to everyone. Now, everyone has his own idea as to who is worthy of compassion. My own view is that not everyone is. I try to be nice to everyone unless I find out that someone isn't a decent person, at which point I have no further interest in helping him. I think that it's in your own interest to also develop a worthiness antenna, and while you don't have to try to hurt those who have shown themselves to be unworthy, I encourage you to ignore their needs. This is for your own benefit, so that you won't feel like a patsy. My guess is that you hate confrontations, and indeed they can be unpleasant. But you can usually avoid confrontations by simply being polite but unhelpful to the bad guys. Jesus said to turn the other cheek - but he didn't always; remember his anger at the money lenders. He found them unworthy of his compassion, and you should draw your own line. You can continue to have the self-satisfaction of being good to others even if you don't help those who don't deserve it.
Andy7671
New Trial Member

Post by Andy7671 »

How do you define worthy.

A meth addicted ex soldier decorated for valour whose lost all social skills or a polite but lazy college dropout.
It makes me feel good to give or help. If that person is sullen upon receipt of my deeds, truthfully I would probably think "Ungrateful %^&*" when the reality is they are passed caring about food or warmth and deserve more compassion. Maybe my actions are just to make me feel better about myself.
WhereIwant2b
New Trial Member

Post by WhereIwant2b »

"Nice" is a more a matter of feeling than principle. A person wants think of themselves as helpful and self sacrificing but that gives the defining of nice to others. Can you imagine the awful consequences of nice being defined as always holding back to allow someone else to go first? If it was a desire commonly held, no one could ever get through a door because they would constantly be deferring to those deferring to them. In the opposite extreme, the nice person would never get through because no one would stop to make room as long as the nice person would tolerate. The end result of letting others define your values is inevitable resentment.

Maybe principles on issues rather than personal nicety needs cultivation. Then giving becomes something you do because you believe it is right and you wish to approve of your own behavior. If the consequences of living up to your own standards is that sometimes it is abused, it will not distress you because your goal is strictly your own behavior and you can take satisfaction from your success. The abuser is not your responsibility and you will feel free to end contact if needed without much worrying about it.

Return to “Ethics and Morality”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream