Is love an unnecessary evil?

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
Above us only sky

Is love an unnecessary evil?

Post by Above us only sky »

In our human society, getting married is much more sophisticated, but I found human courtship resembles animal courtship in some ways:
for example, in lots of countries, when a man wants to marry a women, the man usually needs to give a sum to the woman's family as dowry, occasions, the woman's family will reject a man who provides less dowry and prefer a man who can provides more dowry, behind this is a competition between each bridegroom's placement on the social hierarchy symbolized as the concept of "dowry", we can often see the bridegroom who occupied higher placement on the social hierarchy has a better chance to win the bride. If it is the bridegroom's placement on the social hierarchy that matters, then what's the point of romantic love since it can go against this social placement calculation? If this is so, is romantic love an unnecessary evil?
Lucylu

Re: Is love an unnecessary evil?

Post by Lucylu »

Above us only sky wrote:In our human society, getting married is much more sophisticated, but I found human courtship resembles animal courtship in some ways:
for example, in lots of countries, when a man wants to marry a women, the man usually needs to give a sum to the woman's family as dowry, occasions, the woman's family will reject a man who provides less dowry and prefer a man who can provides more dowry, behind this is a competition between each bridegroom's placement on the social hierarchy symbolized as the concept of "dowry", we can often see the bridegroom who occupied higher placement on the social hierarchy has a better chance to win the bride. If it is the bridegroom's placement on the social hierarchy that matters, then what's the point of romantic love since it can go against this social placement calculation? If this is so, is romantic love an unnecessary evil?
Romantic love, to me, is nature's way of telling us who has the best genes. The person's pheromones and appearance are literally intoxicating. It is pretty rare in my experience and in modern times (I think) that someone would choose to marry another person, purely based on money. Its tempting but the bottom line is you will have to sleep in the same bed with that person for (potentially) the rest of your life and have sex with them in order to keep them happy. That would be little more than high class prostitution.

However the confidence of an individual (perhaps especially men) can be intertwined with their income and power/ influence, and confidence is attractive, so I can see how a man might assume that he lost a potential mate because of the wealth of a 'competitor' when actually it was much deeper issues. It really depends on the person. Some may be more practical and think more in two dimensions, whereas others will require a deeper emotional connection.

You may lament the fact that a woman chose someone else because the other guy had more money, but if that's true, is that really the kind of woman you want to be with? Do you want a trophy wife or a real partner?
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts". -Bertrand Russell
Ormond

Post by Ormond »

Above us only sky wrote:....then what's the point of romantic love?
Try it, and find out.
If the things we want to hear could take us where we want to go, we'd already be there.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

The OP talks specifically about the function of marriage and makes the point that there is an age old tension between marriage because of love and marriage as an institution for cementing alliances and strengthening families (ultimately in order to create an affluent stable base in which to raise children securely.)

O Romeo, Romeo! Wherefore art thou Romeo?
Deny thy father and refuse thy name.
Or, if thou wilt not, be but sworn my love,
And I’ll no longer be a Capulet.

etc.

As Lucylu points out, our genes demand that love rebels against the established order to mix things up and keep us genetically healthy. If Juliet had married a Capulet it may have been good for family stability but not so good for the genetic health of the Montague clan.

Also, of course, romantic love is the most exciting experience available to humanity (at least when you're young).
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

The Op has been well covered by others here, but I would distinguish Eros, or sexual passion from other types of love, as described by the Greeks:

Philia / deep friendship

Ludus / or playful love (eg. involving young people or those young at heart)

Agape / love for all or universal love

Pragma / longstanding love (the understanding between old couples)

Philautia / love of the self - can be healthy or unhealthy.

All love is ultimately positive, at least preferable to the alternative.
The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated—Gandhi.
Ormond

Post by Ormond »

One of the purposes of romantic love is that, when we are lying on our death bed a remarkably short time from now, we can look back and take comfort from the fact that when we had the chance we actually lived.

All these relentlessly dreary posts about love are actually nothing more than the most ordinary kind of fear hiding behind a pseudo intellectual screen. When it finally dawns on us that we're going to die for sure and there's nothing anybody can do about it, we'll realize that there was never anything to be afraid of. The trick is to figure that out before we get to our death bed.
If the things we want to hear could take us where we want to go, we'd already be there.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Ormond, do you really think you are the only one here who is red-blooded enough to have loved romantically? Do you really think the rest of us are speaking from a coolly academic view without real life experience?

I have loved romantically and I think it's overrated. Once I was lead to believe that if you didn't end up living happily ever after with someone then your life amounted to nothing.

However, in lieu of romance in later middle age, I've found much happiness in the quiet life. I personally find nature, including humans, easy to love, but that doesn't mean I want to spend the rest of my life with them (aside from the dog). I will be glad on my deathbed that I allowed myself to relax rather than continuing feverish attempts to meet that "special someone" to validate my existence.
The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated—Gandhi.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

There's definitely nothing whatsoever in my life who's purpose is to place me in a particular state of mind when I'm lying on my deathbed. With the possible exception of the springs in the mattress of my deathbed.

But I do sometimes wonder what my last words will be. Henry VIII's last words were "Monks! Monks! Monks!" Mine will probably be something banal like "I keep thinking it's Tuesday."
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Speaking of the origin of romantic love and trying to shoehorn it into equaling the role it plays in Modern times is an error. The two are completely separate, not dissimilar to trying to equate the primal need for caloric consumption and haute cuisine.
"As usual... it depends."
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Greta: I don't think you should have removed the opening sentence of that last post. It was funny and I intend to use it in real life at the first opportunity.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Steve3007 wrote:Greta: I don't think you should have removed the opening sentence of that last post. It was funny and I intend to use it in real life at the first opportunity.
Heh! It is a fun one to use in real life too, but I try to behave myself here these days with all those onerous moderation responsibilities and whatnot. Sometimes. Maybe.
Ormond

Post by Ormond »

Greta wrote:Ormond, do you really think you are the only one here who is red-blooded enough to have loved romantically? Do you really think the rest of us are speaking from a coolly academic view without real life experience?
I never said any such thing, you are continuing an ongoing pattern of exaggerating my remarks so it will be easier for Your Royal Laziness to debunk them. I'm not offended, but you should expect this reply each time you do that.

Mr. Sky gets what I said and why.
I have loved romantically and I think it's overrated. Once I was lead to believe that if you didn't end up living happily ever after with someone then your life amounted to nothing.
Well, then maybe I am the only red blooded love fool here after all, who knows.
However, in lieu of romance in later middle age, I've found much happiness in the quiet life. I personally find nature, including humans, easy to love, but that doesn't mean I want to spend the rest of my life with them (aside from the dog). I will be glad on my deathbed that I allowed myself to relax rather than continuing feverish attempts to meet that "special someone" to validate my existence.
Ok, your call of course. But you have tried romance, so you have some basis upon which to chart your own personal course.

Mr. Sky has not tried romance yet. He's trying to "figure it out" from a safe abstract distance, using guidance from dreary dead numbskulls like Schopenhauer. I'm attempting, however inexpertly, to guide him in the processes of reason. By which I mean, gather real world data before developing theories and conclusions.

Greta, if I understand it you are 50+ like me. You've done a lot of things, and based on that real world experience come to some decisions about what works for you. I have no argument with that.

I'm arguing with twenty somethings who at the ripe old age of 22 think they have figured it all out, based on no experience at all, and excessive consumption of dead German philosophers.

I agree this is foolishness on my part, given that those who think they already know are not in a position to learn anything. But after examining all the options in my 60+ years of real world experience I have concluded that I am an expert at foolishness, a genius at it really, and so I'm doing what I was born to do. :lol:

-- Updated July 14th, 2016, 6:32 am to add the following --
Steve3007 wrote:There's definitely nothing whatsoever in my life who's purpose is to place me in a particular state of mind when I'm lying on my deathbed.
Then you are not making very good use of one of life's greatest gifts.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Then you are not making very good use of one of life's greatest gifts.
I can live with that.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Ormond wrote:I'm arguing with twenty somethings who at the ripe old age of 22 think they have figured it all out, based on no experience at all, and excessive consumption of dead German philosophers.
Okay. I'm not giving life advice, just saying that romantic love is not the be-all and end-all. I knew people who simply did not bother with romance until they finished their studies. Did they waste their teens and early 20s or did they focus on getting their lives together at a time when one's emotions can be problematic and then enter the romantic fray when they felt a bit more confident and mature?

I thought the sexual liberation of the 60s was necessary and ultimately positive, but a downside of it is peer pressure on young people to get romantically and/or sexually entangled when we all develop at different rates. I did a number of things before I was ready because I thought I was "supposed to" when I might have been happier sticking with my uncool nerdy hobbies a while longer.
Ormond

Post by Ormond »

Okay. I'm not giving life advice, just saying that romantic love is not the be-all and end-all.
To be a bit more precise, romantic love is not the be-all and end-all FOR YOU.
I knew people who simply did not bother with romance until they finished their studies. Did they waste their teens and early 20s or did they focus on getting their lives together at a time when one's emotions can be problematic and then enter the romantic fray when they felt a bit more confident and mature?
Ok, that's one way to go. Keep in mind that there is a deadline of sorts though. Once one's peer group hits about 30 the great majority of them will become consumed by marriage, family, career, and no longer be interested in dating, substantially reducing the available options. And...

A person in their teens who doesn't have experience is completely normal. A person in their twenties who doesn't have experience is a little odd, but not that unusual. But if we get to age 39 and don't have experience, it's pretty much game over because then we will be labeled a weirdo, and any hope of developing social confidence through experience may be gone.

Thus, there is some logic to urging inexperienced twenty somethings to get off their butts and go do some real world living.
I thought the sexual liberation of the 60s was necessary and ultimately positive, but a downside of it is peer pressure on young people to get romantically and/or sexually entangled when we all develop at different rates.
Sure, not everybody needs to be romantically involved at 15, agreed. Or maybe 23 either. But if one waits too long, the odds of it ever happening go way down.

I would suggest the main consideration should be safe sex, not having children one doesn't intend to have. That's really important.

But after that, and let's assume the legal age of 18, it's wise to go ahead, man up, make your move, dive in, make the usual mistakes and learn from them. Trying to "figure it out" ahead of time is mostly a waste of time. Typically that's just a hiding place posing as an intellectual inquiry etc.

Return to “Ethics and Morality”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream