Purpose

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Re: Purpose

Post by Sy Borg »

Nick_A wrote:A person who blindly believes has their mind made up emotionally. A person who blindly denies has their mind made up emotionally. How many are capable of discussing the God question and its extension into universal and human purpose without a reliance on either blind belief or blind denial?
How many of us are capable of discussing the nature of reality without the thought processes being hijacked by "the God question"?

I would find it refreshing for us simply to discuss reality without always measuring it against the claims of middle eastern mythology of the Iron Age.
Jklint

Post by Jklint »

The god question has no affiliation to human purpose and should be subtracted from any discussion regarding how "Purpose" may be defined as functional among humans. Any God insertion only distorts it into a Medieval concept. You'd think by now we can ride a bicycle without the training wheels.
TSBU

Post by TSBU »

I don't understand why so many humans want a purpose. There is obviously no "purpose", but why would anyone want one? I guess they don't know what to do and they would like to know what to do... so basically they "don't know what they want", or maybe they know it to well, wnd they know to well that they can't get it. The only thing sure for me is that I've never wanted a "purpose" (I can give a lot for some "causes", but it was my choice).
Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Post by Eduk »

I really don't like to say someone isn't human because they don't agree with me. This is dangerous thinking.
To be clear I'm not against pondering unknown (maybe unknowable) problems. Such as what is consciousness. I can certainly see that pondering can lead to a richer life. I also broadly agree the arts seem to have suffered in recent times. I'm not sure I would blame the scientific method for this though, but you could argue it's part of the problem. I would be surprised if there weren't quite a number of issues of some complexity contributing to art suffering.
I still don't think it's fair to categorise people who don't agree with you as blind. I mean I don't agree with your conclusions on the God concept but I don't think you are blind.
Also the key thing about the scientific method is that it is a tool (not the truth). If you want to fly to the moon you will need tools to get their. If you want to live a richer life you need ways of measuring richness and theories of how to increase richness. Theories must be testable otherwise you won't know if you life is richer or not. Of course most of the time we don't have access to perfect information so we just do the best we can and hope :) But still to convince me of your theory it will need to be provable. Otherwise it's just not reasonable.
Unknown means unknown.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Eduk, you wrote:
I still don't think it's fair to categorise people who don't agree with you as blind.

But that is not what is being said. A person is either open to the question of the blindness of the human condition or they are not. Jesus referred to the darkness of the world. Plato described the human condition as living in a cave. Buddhism describes it as if living in a burning house. In all cases the blindness being referred to is what makes humanity in general unaware of the big picture within which human purpose resides and what is lost through this ignorance.

It appears insulting; but what if it is true? I believe in the necessity of a conscious source for creation. Obviously there must be a purpose for creation otherwise the perfect Source would not have enabled it. If there is an objective purpose for creation it stands to reason that life within it must serve this purpose. It also stands to reason that if the human condition is as described by Christianity, Buddhism, and Plato, we lack the conscious human perspective necessary to feel and respond to objective purpose and are limited to subjective and conditioned purpose.

So I'm coming from a different direction. I begin with the necessity of a Source beyond the limitations of time and space within which creation functions. Human purpose is a part of universal purpose. The blindness of the human condition well known in the essence of religion and philosophy makes it impossible for us to experience it.

I know this is politically incorrect and belongs in the iron age or something similar. Now we have progressive education and anything questioning the divinity of self esteem and the Great Beast is backwards thinking in dire need of re-education. But regardless, it makes sense to me.

It just seems inhuman to me that certain students enduring education intuitively feel reality but at the same time are subjected to all this negativity from emotionally inspired denial. No wonder they turn to drugs. Without an alternative, what other choice do they have in their quest to experience reality greater than what they experience in the psycho/spiritual darkness of the world, Plato's Cave, or the Buddhist Burning House?
Man would like to be an egoist and cannot. This is the most striking characteristic of his wretchedness and the source of his greatness." Simone Weil....Gravity and Grace
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

I don't see how necessity for a source logically follows from being impossible to experience that source. To me if you can't experience something then you can't draw conclusions.
Having said that I'm not against looking for answers or new experiences. I mean is it possible to see our own blindness and attempt to look beyond it without a conscious source? Just to give one example existence as laid out by cause and effect is logically impossible because you can never have a first cause. But what conclusion should I draw?
I think the point I'm trying to make is that you can still think spiritually without the need for a conscious source or external purpose. You can make your own purpose. Of course your purpose could be to try to find if there is an external purpose, that's valid. The only issue I have is the axiom that that purpose must exist.
Unknown means unknown.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Eduk, you wrote:
I don't see how necessity for a source logically follows from being impossible to experience that source. To me if you can't experience something then you can't draw conclusions.
I’ve learned that the universe functions through the interactions of laws. I don’t know what is responsible for the laws or how they were created. I only know that science has proven these laws exist and are discovering new interactions as with quantum mechanics. I have two choices. Either these laws appeared by themselves by accident or they had a conscious source. The idea that they appeared by themselves seems absurd so the only logical alternative is a conscious source beyond our sensory perception.

Plato discussed this question in Meno’s Paradox. How will you know what you are looking for if you first don't already know it and thus have no reason to go looking for it? But why look for something you already have? This is the paradox raised in Plato's dialogue called the Meno. In answer to "Meno's Paradox," Plato suggests that before we were born we existed in another realm of being (the realm of the Forms). The shock of being born makes us forget what we knew in that realm. But when we are asked the right questions or have certain experiences, we remember or "recollect" innate (inborn) truths. So if we existed before our births, there is every reason to think that we will continue to exist after our deaths.

It seems that we have two paths to knowledge. One is what science offers and the other is what is possible through remembrance.
But what conclusion should I draw?
Would it make a difference if you concluded as Socrates did that “I know nothing” as it pertains to higher reality and the God question.
I think the point I'm trying to make is that you can still think spiritually without the need for a conscious source or external purpose. You can make your own purpose. Of course your purpose could be to try to find if there is an external purpose, that's valid. The only issue I have is the axiom that that purpose must exist.
Yes, in the absence of the feeling for objective purpose only subjective purpose is possible. The struggle for the dominance in the conflict of subjective appreciations of purpose is what creates chaos within the Buddhist burning house. The Master uses skillful means in order to awaken the fighting children in the house to the reality of the situation. In other words the Master has to lie. Many would call it insulting. We are educated and can discuss and debate. Of course the Master knows the insulting truth of our ignorance so has to use skillful means for the process of awakening to reality.

There is no axiom that objective purpose must exist. A person reads the great traditions and it raises questions. Some just ignore or ridicule these writings and their questions while a minority are willing to make the painful efforts to “know thyself” in order to experience both the fallen human condition and our personal potential connection to higher consciousness. It is far easier to either emotionally blindly believe or blindly deny. Some value the potential of emotion to serve more than as a tool for self justification and can sacrifice both blind belief and blind denial for the need to become one with objective human meaning and purpose.
Man would like to be an egoist and cannot. This is the most striking characteristic of his wretchedness and the source of his greatness." Simone Weil....Gravity and Grace
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

Well as I said existence is logically impossible. It contradicts a number of known laws like causation. It's hard to make guesses about something outside of material existence. We naturally imagine something much like ourselves following logic which naturally creates the world for a reason. But they must live in a non material world so what motivates is impossible to guess. There could be reasons which a human literally cannot understand. It could be an accident. It could be deliberate but nothing to do with humanity. We could be wanted or unwanted or in between. Or something unknowable. Again impossible to guess about an immaterial world.
knowing nothing about how we came into being and knowing God theories are wrong is not mutually exclusive. I know God is man made. I don't know how existence is possible, there is no contradiction.
By the way this sounds harsh against theism but it isn't meant so. Similarly I may sound harsh against your view point. But I mean no denigration of character. I mean we are all human, we all experience spirituality and consciousness and ask questions. We may come to different conclusions but I still think there are more similarities than differences. For example we both may enjoy Bach's choral mass exactly the same regardless of beliefs. Even the same emotional enjoyment. I think consciousness is basically the tip of an ice berg.
Unknown means unknown.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Eduk wrote:Well as I said existence is logically impossible. It contradicts a number of known laws like causation. It's hard to make guesses about something outside of material existence. We naturally imagine something much like ourselves following logic which naturally creates the world for a reason. But they must live in a non material world so what motivates is impossible to guess. There could be reasons which a human literally cannot understand. It could be an accident. It could be deliberate but nothing to do with humanity. We could be wanted or unwanted or in between. Or something unknowable. Again impossible to guess about an immaterial world.
knowing nothing about how we came into being and knowing God theories are wrong is not mutually exclusive. I know God is man made. I don't know how existence is possible, there is no contradiction.
By the way this sounds harsh against theism but it isn't meant so. Similarly I may sound harsh against your view point. But I mean no denigration of character. I mean we are all human, we all experience spirituality and consciousness and ask questions. We may come to different conclusions but I still think there are more similarities than differences. For example we both may enjoy Bach's choral mass exactly the same regardless of beliefs. Even the same emotional enjoyment. I think consciousness is basically the tip of an ice berg.
Eduk, you seem too nice a person to be attempting denigration. I've experienced the best attempts at ridicule. I've come to the conclusion that the more sense a person makes the better quality of ridicule and condemnation appears. It is probably a universal law.

What makes you so sure that " existence is logically impossible?" Consider Plotinus for example. Here is an outline from a philosophy encyclopedia:

http://www.iep.utm.edu/plotinus/
Table of Contents
1. Life and Work
2. Metaphysics and Cosmology
a. The One
i. Emanation and Multiplicity
ii. Presence
b. The Intelligence
. The Ideas and 'Seminal Reasons'
i. Being and Life
c. The Soul
. Virtue
i. Dialectic
ii. Contemplation
d. Matter
. Evil
i. Love and Happiness
ii. A Note on Nature
3. Psychology and Epistemology
. The Living Being
a. Sense-Perception and Memory
b. Individuality and Personality
4. Ethics
5. References and Further Reading
Notice the devolving transition between the ONE and its gradual lawful devolution forming creation: unity into diversity. The only thing missing is the mathematical correspondence between the material vibrations within levels of reality that enable their connection.

My guess is that science will prove levels of reality in the future. There is no reason to either believe or deny Plotinus. All we can do is deepen the questions raised by his ideas so that between the facts of science and what is revealed through remembrance can be reconciled into understanding. There may be hope for the open mind. :)
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

What makes you so sure that " existence is logically impossible?" Consider Plotinus for example. Here is an outline from a philosophy encyclopedia:
Oh I meant insofar as it contradicts cause and effect and the conservation of energy. Two seemingly irrefutable theories. The specific problem being is you get an infinite regression, the obvious question to ask if someone says God made us is who made God (and so on). The obvious conclusion to draw is that cause and effect is not the whole story. Which I believe touches upon your point.
By the way I tried to read up a little on Plotinus but short of reading a whole book I got stuck with sentences that don't actually explain any of his beliefs.
Unknown means unknown.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Eduk wrote:
Oh I meant insofar as it contradicts cause and effect and the conservation of energy. Two seemingly irrefutable theories. The specific problem being is you get an infinite regression, the obvious question to ask if someone says God made us is who made God (and so on). The obvious conclusion to draw is that cause and effect is not the whole story. Which I believe touches upon your point.
By the way I tried to read up a little on Plotinus but short of reading a whole book I got stuck with sentences that don't actually explain any of his beliefs.
Obviously these are difficult ideas. For example, you have described laws that take place within creation. These are laws of the process of existence. But suppose the Source doesn't exist; rather the Source IS? Then the Source is beyond time and space and the process of existence takes place within Isness. Cause and effect doesn't apply here.

You seem like a good person without an axe to grind. I've written of my concern for students trapped in institutions of psychological child abuse called schools. They feel a quality of life within them that wants to live, grow, and understand who they are and why they are here. They are met with all sorts of secular condemnation during the process of indoctrination called education.

Imagine you are teaching in a school and meet the fourteen year old Simone Weil. She appears odd. Do you condemn her and try to teach her what dominant secularism claims to be the important things. Do you support her ridicule? She wrote:
excerpts from a letter Simone Weil wrote on May 15, 1942 in Marseilles, France to her close friend Father Perrin:

At fourteen I fell into one of those fits of bottomless despair that come with adolescence, and I seriously thought of dying because of the mediocrity of my natural faculties. The exceptional gifts of my brother, who had a childhood and youth comparable to those of Pascal, brought my own inferiority home to me. I did not mind having no visible successes, but what did grieve me was the idea of being excluded from that transcendent kingdom to which only the truly great have access and wherein truth abides. I preferred to die rather than live without that truth.
Should she be sent to a suicide counselor and be put on drugs so as to become more normal? What could be more abnormal for a fourteen year old girl than an overwhelming need for truth and the experience of meaning and purpose that goes along with it. Should this abnormal girl be allowed to continue with these anti-social ideas? After all the normal fourteen year old girl is concerned with appearance and fitting in. Yet we have this abnormal Simone. What to do? Suppose she asked you if God exists; how would you reply? Would you call for the principal and the school nurse assuming the girl needs help? Would you stick your nose up in the air and start using big words in the attempt to dazzle her with BS? Is there anything meaningful you could say to this student feeling a need to experience objective meaning and purpose which doesn't exist for her in the world of subjective chaos she was born into?
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

It is impossible to know if there is an external (overarching) purpose from a perspective within the group being evaluated. One can suspect, or theorize, or "feel" that there is (or isn't) an external purpose to it all. but that is not the same thing as knowing. Thus it is a question for someone outside of the group who can view the Big Picture, that is: it is a question for a god. That would include no one on this thread, BTW...
"As usual... it depends."
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

I've written of my concern for students trapped in institutions of psychological child abuse called schools. They feel a quality of life within them that wants to live, grow, and understand who they are and why they are here. They are met with all sorts of secular condemnation during the process of indoctrination called education.

You must be a Pink Floyd fan? :) I don't think schools on the whole are that bad (no worse or different than society as a whole). The second you attempt to do anything out of the ordinary anywhere you will be met with resistance. Certainly I don't think of schools as a nefarious master plan by anyone, we pretty much have the schooling we deserve. Besides this ignores your own role in the school, if you act in a certain way you will influence others.
Suppose she asked you if God exists; how would you reply? Would you call for the principal and the school nurse assuming the girl needs help? Would you stick your nose up in the air and start using big words in the attempt to dazzle her with BS? Is there anything meaningful you could say to this student feeling a need to experience objective meaning and purpose which doesn't exist for her in the world of subjective chaos she was born into?
I would say God does not exist. Actually in my experience there is nothing you can easily or flippantly do here, any short words no matter how accurate aren't that important. What you can do is make a genuine attempt to try to help (whatever your method is). This will require time and effort, exactly how much time and effort is hard to say. So in short yes you can be meaningful, but the effort to do so can be large. Don't forget that you also have responsibility to yourself.
Unknown means unknown.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Eduk, you wrote:
You must be a Pink Floyd fan? I don't think schools on the whole are that bad (no worse or different than society as a whole). The second you attempt to do anything out of the ordinary anywhere you will be met with resistance. Certainly I don't think of schools as a nefarious master plan by anyone, we pretty much have the schooling we deserve. Besides this ignores your own role in the school, if you act in a certain way you will influence others.
Well I do like Pink Floyd and I agree with you that schools are “no worse or different than society as a whole.” As you probably know I consider society in the Platonic sense as the Great Beast. This means it draws meaning and purpose from responses to earthly influences just as any other beast. In short these are mechanical responses lacking human consciousness. Education as it is commonly understood reflects this condition. Is it any wonder that gifted students rise against it? They are looking for an education which includes objective meaning and purpose rather than indoctrination
The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education. Albert Einstein
As I see it the majority in education are content with adapting to the ways of the Beast at the expense of the inner calling to human individuality. Most accept this.
I would say God does not exist. Actually in my experience there is nothing you can easily or flippantly do here, any short words no matter how accurate aren't that important. What you can do is make a genuine attempt to try to help (whatever your method is). This will require time and effort, exactly how much time and effort is hard to say. So in short yes you can be meaningful, but the effort to do so can be large. Don't forget that you also have responsibility to yourself.
That’s the point. Modern education doesn’t respect this need for individuality, to become oneself which interferes with the whims of the Beast and is more concerned with indoctrination necessary to support the great Beast. The gifted student who feels there is more to the meaning of life than values practiced by society including exoteric religion are stuck. Only a rare few educators could offer anything meaningful much less understand what they need. The student wants to learn how to know and education teaches what ti know. So as Einstein wrote: “The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.” Unless a student is fortunate to meet those with an appreciation for objective meaning and purpose to inspire them to practice how to know, they will easily lose interest and die inside.
The danger is not lest the soul should doubt whether there is any bread, but lest, by a lie, it should persuade itself that it is not hungry. Simone Weil
This is the great danger offered by modern education and technology. Enchantment with what caters to created subjective meaning and purpose enables people to lose the natural need for objective human meaning and purpose. The need to become oneself is sacrificed in favor of an acquired need to serve the Beast. Plato wrote that a person must become able to see this enchantment for what it is and turn towards the light. But what kid can begin to feel objective meaning and purpose without help and where do they find help for their need to “understand?” It cannot come from the same mentality that creates the problem.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Nick_A wrote:
excerpts from a letter Simone Weil wrote on May 15, 1942 in Marseilles, France to her close friend Father Perrin:

At fourteen I fell into one of those fits of bottomless despair that come with adolescence, and I seriously thought of dying because of the mediocrity of my natural faculties. The exceptional gifts of my brother, who had a childhood and youth comparable to those of Pascal, brought my own inferiority home to me. I did not mind having no visible successes, but what did grieve me was the idea of being excluded from that transcendent kingdom to which only the truly great have access and wherein truth abides. I preferred to die rather than live without that truth.
Should she be sent to a suicide counselor and be put on drugs so as to become more normal? What could be more abnormal for a fourteen year old girl than an overwhelming need for truth and the experience of meaning and purpose that goes along with it. Should this abnormal girl be allowed to continue with these anti-social ideas? After all the normal fourteen year old girl is concerned with appearance and fitting in. Yet we have this abnormal Simone. What to do? Suppose she asked you if God exists; how would you reply? Would you call for the principal and the school nurse assuming the girl needs help? Would you stick your nose up in the air and start using big words in the attempt to dazzle her with BS? Is there anything meaningful you could say to this student feeling a need to experience objective meaning and purpose which doesn't exist for her in the world of subjective chaos she was born into?
Is it abnormal for intelligent teenagers to ponder the meaning of life and to fall into suicidal existential despair? The only "abnormality" I see is high intelligence, which is abnormal by definition. I had the same problems as SW at the same time and we are far from the only ones. You ask how one should respond to a distressed teen asking about God. I suggest giving her an honest and sincere answer.

When considering the "problems" of secular education, let's first consider religious mind control through history. A personal example: my mother was unusually bright but when she displayed it at her convent school the nuns, in her words, "beat me black and blue". These were not secularists, but nuns. Religions have controlled educational systems throughout history and they still have a strong influence on both syllabus and culture of educational institutions, with most major decisions on education still made by devoutly religious politicians.

Some in the church, like Nick, seem to rue religion's slight loss of control over "secular" society. Today religion is only massively dominant rather than ubiquitous - as was the case in "the good old days". "Secular society" is largely a myth, at least as regards the west. Evidence? The percentage of theists running our governments and the consider all of the commonsense things that should be done. eg. dying with dignity, but cannot due to those religious "representatives".

Return to “Ethics and Morality”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream