Money and Ethics

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
Jan Sand

Re: Money and Ethics

Post by Jan Sand »

What is it in you that is so anxious to engage in conflict? I have presented my case quite adequately and supplied sources for your contemplation. I am not interested in your inability to perceive solid source material. That is your problem, not mine.
Frost

Post by Frost »

Jan Sand wrote: February 2nd, 2018, 1:42 pm What is it in you that is so anxious to engage in conflict? I have presented my case quite adequately and supplied sources for your contemplation. I am not interested in your inability to perceive solid source material. That is your problem, not mine.
It's clear that it's complete economic nonsense. For example:

"A major argument of the book is that the imprecise, informal, community-building indebtedness of "human economies" is only replaced by mathematically precise, firmly enforced debts through the introduction of violence, usually state-sponsored violence in some form of military or police."

"markets are founded and usually maintained by systematic state violence"

"Debt, the book argues, has typically retained its primacy, with cash and barter usually limited to situations of low trust involving strangers or those not considered credit-worthy."

"Graeber suggests that economic life originally related to social currencies. These were closely related to routine non-market interactions within a community. "

This is just utter nonsense. He obviously doesn't understand the function of money or markets. Markets emerge through voluntary human interactions, not "systematic state violence." Money is merely a medium of exchange as I have been saying, and it is a medium of exchange used for people to obtain their desired goods and services which is not possible otherwise.
Jan Sand

Post by Jan Sand »

To deny that money exerts far more power in economics and politics than merely a medium of exchange is to be totally blind to the current political and military forces in the successive destruction of multiple countries in the Middle East. The use of powerful financially motivated governments to destroy democracies in the world to favor their corporations is as an outstandingly obvious fact of life and is most peculiar and verges on the humorous. That ignorance makes further conversation not worth my attention.
Frost

Post by Frost »

Jan Sand wrote: February 2nd, 2018, 2:35 pm To deny that money exerts far more power in economics and politics than merely a medium of exchange is to be totally blind to the current political and military forces in the successive destruction of multiple countries in the Middle East. The use of powerful financially motivated governments to destroy democracies in the world to favor their corporations is as an outstandingly obvious fact of life and is most peculiar and verges on the humorous. That ignorance makes further conversation not worth my attention.
I never denied that. That is why I described how a gold standard and 100% reserve and strict enforcement of property rights is so important to guard against those abuses, manipulation, and control.

Money is merely a medium of exchange, but of course people can use it to manipulate. But let's not misunderstand what it is and what its function is. It is not some sort of tool designed to oppress people, but rather it is a medium of exchange necessary to facilitate the complex economic interactions necessary to support modern civilization. If we understand what it is, we can understand what is necessary in order to reap the benefits while minimizing the abuses, which again comes back to a gold standard, 100% reserve banking, and strict enforcement of private property rights.
Jan Sand

Post by Jan Sand »

It might be worthwhile to attempt to return to basics on the nature of society to decide how human wealth is used to create a sustained relationship between natural possibilities of the planet and general human welfare. Property itself, of exchange media such as money or other valued properties or control of ideas and methods of production, valuable natural resources, useful social relationships, and many other ways society requires to function properly are human constructions and not laws of the universe. They only exist because people have decided they exist and social relationships find them useful and necessary. If the wealth of a rich person or organization is of benefit to society it is obviously worthwhile to society in general. If it is used to create luxury for only a small select group and great disruption and horrible misery for the rest of society and, as is the current case, immense disruption of the possible existence for all life on the planet, then a sensible society must see to it that this wealth is used properly for the general benefit of society and for the health of the planet. This goes far beyond the concepts of morality towards the way to see to it that society and life itself can be maintained. At the moment, it is quite obvious that human society is violently suicidal and if that cannot be remedied very quickly, the elements of morality will become completely irrelevant.

Return to “Ethics and Morality”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream