Should Morals Be Judged In A Cultural Context?

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
Belindi

Re: Should Morals Be Judged In A Cultural Context?

Post by Belindi »

Nick_A wrote:
Guilt is inflicted on a person by respected others or society itself. Inflicting guilt is one of the greatest mistakes secular religion makes. It can destroy another psychologically, Genuine remorse is the experience that we suffer the human condition. Rather than crippling, remorse serves to awaken us to reality. We see that we are the "wretched Man" and can strive to become balanced not to please others but to help ourselves and our connection to higher consciousness so as to become what we ARE.
Is in general psychologically true. But Nick's blaming "secular religion" is a bad idea .Blaming secular belief for the infliction of guilt doesn't aid us in the quest for "higher consciousness".

Religions are sources of guilt consciousness. Both religions and secular beliefs can be founded upon forgiveness of self and others which is the way to transform guilty feelings into genuine wise remorse.
Lark_Truth
Favorite Philosopher: Brandon Sanderson

Post by Lark_Truth »

I second what Eduk said. I never expected everyone to agree with me, I was just stating what I thought to be the best viable answer for people to debate upon.

I'm not quite sure what to say in regards to the examples you gave, LuckyR. You do have a point though.

If data was uncovered that polygamy was better than monogamy (which I doubt would ever happen) then it would still be very difficult. I am of the opinion that we just don't understand what it takes to live within a plural marriage. And even then, most plural marriages that have instituted in the past have merely been nothing but harems. A perfect polygamist marriage in which all those involved loved each other like siblings instead of objects or enemies would be extremely rare, and probably was back when most cultures practiced it. Look at how difficult it is for some to maintain even a monogamist marriage! You hear about divorces between heterosexual couples left and right! Going on that sort of evidence, no one - until there is a full understanding on how a polygamist marriage would work, which will be a long time - should go into a plural marriage.
Truth is Power. Reason is Wisdom. Intelligence is Experience. Hope is Bright!
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Polygamy works well enough when there are surplus women who require to live under the protection of a male relative. When men have been killed in warfare young women find themselves without brothers, cousins or fathers to protect them.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Belindi wrote:Nick_A wrote:
Guilt is inflicted on a person by respected others or society itself. Inflicting guilt is one of the greatest mistakes secular religion makes. It can destroy another psychologically, Genuine remorse is the experience that we suffer the human condition. Rather than crippling, remorse serves to awaken us to reality. We see that we are the "wretched Man" and can strive to become balanced not to please others but to help ourselves and our connection to higher consciousness so as to become what we ARE.
Is in general psychologically true. But Nick's blaming "secular religion" is a bad idea .Blaming secular belief for the infliction of guilt doesn't aid us in the quest for "higher consciousness".

Religions are sources of guilt consciousness. Both religions and secular beliefs can be founded upon forgiveness of self and others which is the way to transform guilty feelings into genuine wise remorse.
How can we speak of higher consciousness if we don't recognize the distinction between guilt and remorse. Forgiveness is a step leading from guilt into remorse? The Bible describes it well:
John 8 King James Version (KJV)

8 Jesus went unto the mount of Olives.

2 And early in the morning he came again into the temple, and all the people came unto him; and he sat down, and taught them.

3 And the scribes and Pharisees brought unto him a woman taken in adultery; and when they had set her in the midst,

4 They say unto him, Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act.

5 Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest thou?

6 This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him. But Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard them not.

7 So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.

8 And again he stooped down, and wrote on the ground.

9 And they which heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst.

10 When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee?

11 She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.
People assumed the woman was gulilty of breaking biblical law. People always want to accuse another of anything. In modern times we have accusations of bigotry, sexism, xenophobia, xenaphobia and lord knows what else. It never dawns on these righteous disciples of PC justice that they are not without sin. Of course if any of them felt remorse over what they ARE, it would be all different. It is too insulting to be acted upon so everything continues as is.
Man would like to be an egoist and cannot. This is the most striking characteristic of his wretchedness and the source of his greatness." Simone Weil....Gravity and Grace
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Lark_Truth wrote:I second what Eduk said. I never expected everyone to agree with me, I was just stating what I thought to be the best viable answer for people to debate upon.

I'm not quite sure what to say in regards to the examples you gave, LuckyR. You do have a point though.

If data was uncovered that polygamy was better than monogamy (which I doubt would ever happen) then it would still be very difficult. I am of the opinion that we just don't understand what it takes to live within a plural marriage. And even then, most plural marriages that have instituted in the past have merely been nothing but harems. A perfect polygamist marriage in which all those involved loved each other like siblings instead of objects or enemies would be extremely rare, and probably was back when most cultures practiced it. Look at how difficult it is for some to maintain even a monogamist marriage! You hear about divorces between heterosexual couples left and right! Going on that sort of evidence, no one - until there is a full understanding on how a polygamist marriage would work, which will be a long time - should go into a plural marriage.
My point wasn't to debate plural marriage. Rather to point out that factoids that declare the superiority of lifestyle X is taken by those who adhere to that lifestyle very differently than those who do not. The latter look for weaknesses in the original data (in order to debunk it) whereas the former merely nod their heads in silent agreement and wonder why other folks bristle.
"As usual... it depends."
Lark_Truth

Post by Lark_Truth »

LuckyR wrote:My point wasn't to debate plural marriage. Rather to point out that factoids that declare the superiority of lifestyle X is taken by those who adhere to that lifestyle very differently than those who do not. The latter look for weaknesses in the original data (in order to debunk it) whereas the former merely nod their heads in silent agreement and wonder why other folks bristle.
That is a very good point, LuckyR. I apologize for the misunderstanding.
I have kind of seen things like that in life, as you have described them, LuckyR. Where, I don't remember exactly, but from the way you have described it it does sound really familiar.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Lark_Truth wrote:
LuckyR wrote:My point wasn't to debate plural marriage. Rather to point out that factoids that declare the superiority of lifestyle X is taken by those who adhere to that lifestyle very differently than those who do not. The latter look for weaknesses in the original data (in order to debunk it) whereas the former merely nod their heads in silent agreement and wonder why other folks bristle.
That is a very good point, LuckyR. I apologize for the misunderstanding.
I have kind of seen things like that in life, as you have described them, LuckyR. Where, I don't remember exactly, but from the way you have described it it does sound really familiar.
Oh, it is a ubiquitous experience for those out of the mainstream. There is nothing quite as notable as poor folks getting lectured about poverty from the wealthy, or Blacks getting lectured about race issues from Whites or parents listening to simple and obvious "solutions" to parenting dilemmas from the childless, women getting told by men all about women's topics, the list is quite long.
"As usual... it depends."
Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Post by Eduk »

You have surely heard of confirmation bias Lark_Truth?
Unknown means unknown.
Lark_Truth

Post by Lark_Truth »

Eduk: I looked the definition up online, and it read: "the tendency to interpret new evidence as confirmation of one's existing beliefs or theories."
If you are referring the said definition to me than I must claim guilty as charged.

Question: Should we allow culture to be the main or assisting force in what defines us?
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

I recommend thinking before believing. I also recommend changing your mind when you have new evidence. I also recommend proportioning belief to the evidence. Lastly it's important to want to know the truth, not want what you know to be true. Culture is fine but you shouldn't do anything because of culture.
Unknown means unknown.
Dolphin42

Post by Dolphin42 »

It's impossible to refrain from doing things because of culture. It's the water that we would swim in if we were fish. It's like saying you shouldn't do anything because of your personality.
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

Yes sorry I am not explaining myself well. I didn't say your culture didn't influence you (it obviously has a huge influence), I'm just questioning how many things should you do because they are your culture as opposed to doing those things for other reasons. Your language is cultural and you learn it unconsciously, so it automatically has a large effect. But given a conscious choice you would still wish to learn your parents language in order to communicate with them, I would say communication trumps culture (at the rational level).
Unknown means unknown.
Dolphin42

Post by Dolphin42 »

Yes, sorry, I guess I kind of knew that was what you probably meant and I was just scoring cheap points. When you've got a few minutes to spare before starting work it's difficult to avoid the temptation to do that kind of thing. Not very philosophical. :D
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

There should be somewhere a league table with everyone's points :)
You were right to question what I wrote though, it wasn't well presented.
Unknown means unknown.

Return to “Ethics and Morality”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream