Should Morals Be Judged In A Cultural Context?

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
LuckyR

Re: Should Morals Be Judged In A Cultural Context?

Post by LuckyR »

Eduk wrote:Spectrum seemed to be saying violence is always wrong? I may have misunderstood?
Also I disagree with your definition of morals. The whole planet could agree that a particular action was moral and the whole planet could be wrong. They would of course call it moral. It would be in the dictionary under moral. But it still wouldn't be moral.
You seem to be alluding to an extra-human judgement (the whole world getting it wrong, but if so, who is right?). That may or may not exist, but even if it does it should not be called moral (individual), nor ethical (community). It should be called something else, say... dogma?
"As usual... it depends."
Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Post by Eduk »

You seem to be alluding to an extra-human judgement
Nope. It's a simple fallacy. Appeal to majority. Just because the majority believe something doesn't make that thing wrong (that's the fallacy fallacy) but just because the majority do believe something doesn't make it right.
Unknown means unknown.
Lark_Truth
Favorite Philosopher: Brandon Sanderson

Post by Lark_Truth »

I agree with Eduk. What is right is not always popular, what is popular is not always right.

Take for instance the family crisis (or so I call it) that is happening today. I think that we can all agree that heterosexual marriage between a man and a woman is a best sort of situation in which to raise and foster children and prepare them for later on in life. It's the way that things have been for thousands of years (which is not to say that it *is* the right and moral thing but I see a pattern as heterosexual marriage has been present in just about every culture that has ever existed). Today, couples get married, and within a matter of time they divorce because they can't get along or the love that they once felt for each other is nonexistent. I see a lot of (subtle) promotion against marriage. Having sex outside of marriage, having children outside of marriage, not being married and heterosexual couples can live together, etc. On TV, in books, pop culture, liberal media; in the United States, aren't they paying more welfare to couples with families who are not married?
I rest my case.
Truth is Power. Reason is Wisdom. Intelligence is Experience. Hope is Bright!
Dolphin42

Post by Dolphin42 »

Lark_Truth:

I agree with you that heterosexual marriage between a man and a woman is the best sort of situation in which to raise and foster children and prepare them for later on in life. (Although I think there are some who wouldn't agree). But I don't agree with your implied conclusion from that.

You've pointed out the downside of a culture in which marriage breakdown is easier and having children outside of marriage does not carry the social stigma that it once did. It means that fewer children are brought up in stable two parent families.

But, at the same time, I wouldn't want to go back to the culture that existed where I live (the UK) and probably also existed where you live a few decades ago where a girl gets pregnant and is regarded as having brought shame on her family. The child is taken from her. Would you want to go back to that? A similar culture still exists in many places.

It seems to me that this is not a simple choice. Our modern liberal culture has both its pros and its cons.
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

Today, couples get married, and within a matter of time they divorce because they can't get along or the love that they once felt for each other is nonexistent.
I agree that marrying and then quickly divorcing is a demonstration of poor decisions (on the whole). Sex for recreational purposes is again on the whole a reflection of poor decision making. Likewise children outside of marriage is also another sign of poor decision making (mostly).
But it's possible to make good decisions, have sex outside of marriage, have children outside of marriage and live a good moral, happy, life to the benefit of your children, yourself and others as a whole. Marriage in and of itself is not moral, it is neither good nor bad. Being committed to welfare is good, marriage may or may not promote that but it isn't a requisite.
Also sexual preference is not a moral concern in and of itself. People who are not heterosexual are just as human as anyone else. And two non heterosexuals are just as capable of rearing children in a moral, stable, high welfare home as anyone else. The reverse is also true they are just as capable of getting it horribly wrong.
Unknown means unknown.
Dolphin42

Post by Dolphin42 »

I think this issue of the pros and cons of a socially liberal society (family cohesion versus individual liberty) can be summarised by a word that was used as the title of a UK TV series, which then transferred to the US (with William H Macy in the starring role): "Shameless". It's an interesting word because it has historically been used as an insult but it raises the issue of how the concept of "shame" is used by society to promote social cohesion.

In days gone by, it was fear of the "shame" of having a child out of wedlock or a failed marriage which promoted marriage and discouraged sex outside of it. But we only have to consider the abhorrent concept of "honour killings" and remember that our society is only a couple of generations away from such ideas to realise that we wouldn't want to simply go back to the old pre-shameless era, would we?
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

People still love to label and shame people as much as they ever have. Perhaps the punishments are lesser nowadays?
Unknown means unknown.
Dolphin42

Post by Dolphin42 »

Is there not any role for the concept of shame? Should we all aspire to be completely shameless?
Lark_Truth

Post by Lark_Truth »

Good points Dolphin42. I had forgotten that the sort of situation you described in post #214 and I thank you for bringing it to light my thoughts in this conversation.

Honestly, I think that sort of situation of deliberately shaming the poor girl is plain awful, not to mention that I consider it shameful to further shame the girl by treating her as if she is something to be abhorred, and then take away the baby for her. Shame on the shamers and their high-minded attitudes! If they think that their daughter has brought dishonor on their family, then they need to look at themselves first and see whether or not they care more for their own daughter than their selfish sense of dignity. Somebody needs to pull the sticks that they jammed up their backsides. I'd rather not go back to those days.

Modern liberal culture has its pros and cons, yes, but I'd much rather prefer to live in a moderate culture.

I do think that we should aspire to be completely shameless. But in the event that we do something that we know is wrong *and* we feel guilty over it, we should be using shame to get us back to where we *want* to be.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Lark_Truth wrote:Good points Dolphin42. I had forgotten that the sort of situation you described in post #214 and I thank you for bringing it to light my thoughts in this conversation.

Honestly, I think that sort of situation of deliberately shaming the poor girl is plain awful, not to mention that I consider it shameful to further shame the girl by treating her as if she is something to be abhorred, and then take away the baby for her. Shame on the shamers and their high-minded attitudes! If they think that their daughter has brought dishonor on their family, then they need to look at themselves first and see whether or not they care more for their own daughter than their selfish sense of dignity. Somebody needs to pull the sticks that they jammed up their backsides. I'd rather not go back to those days.

Modern liberal culture has its pros and cons, yes, but I'd much rather prefer to live in a moderate culture.

I do think that we should aspire to be completely shameless. But in the event that we do something that we know is wrong *and* we feel guilty over it, we should be using shame to get us back to where we *want* to be.
Have you ever thought about the difference between shame and guilt? Could a young girl allowing herself to become pregnant feel guilt from societal pressures but not shame? Is there a difference?
Man would like to be an egoist and cannot. This is the most striking characteristic of his wretchedness and the source of his greatness." Simone Weil....Gravity and Grace
Dolphin42

Post by Dolphin42 »

Lark_Truth:
As with the girl, I think I'd rather try to understand what it is that causes a family to take that attitude towards their daughter rather than condemning them for it. Several decades ago that kind of attitude was commonplace. Now (in our societies) it is not so common. But our great grandparents were human beings just like us. My great grandfather was a father just like me. If we were in their situation, with their upbringing, living in the society in which they found themselves, under the pressures that they were under, can we honestly say with 100% certainty that we wouldn't act in similar ways?

I think the main reason why treatments that seem to us unbearably harsh and cruel existed in the past is simply because life in general was even more unbearably harsh and cruel. Having a child outside of the support of a family was possibly a life-and-death scale crisis.

I think attempting to understand while neither condoning nor condemning is the best way to attempt to find solutions to human problems.
Lark_Truth

Post by Lark_Truth »

Nick_A wrote:Have you ever thought about the difference between shame and guilt? Could a young girl allowing herself to become pregnant feel guilt from societal pressures but not shame? Is there a difference?
Good question.
I looked it up online and apparently there is a difference between guilt and shame. It seems to me as if they are almost the same, but they are different in the context of who the emotion relates to. Guilt is empathy for others while Shame is focused on one's self. If you're still confused by that here's the link I found it at:
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/sh ... -and-shame

Back to the pregnant girl, it could be possible for her to feel guilt from societal pressures but not shame. It would depend upon the girl's background, how her parents raised her, her ethics, the influence from her friends and boyfriend, etc.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Lark_Truth wrote:
Nick_A wrote:Have you ever thought about the difference between shame and guilt? Could a young girl allowing herself to become pregnant feel guilt from societal pressures but not shame? Is there a difference?
Good question.
I looked it up online and apparently there is a difference between guilt and shame. It seems to me as if they are almost the same, but they are different in the context of who the emotion relates to. Guilt is empathy for others while Shame is focused on one's self. If you're still confused by that here's the link I found it at:
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/sh ... -and-shame

Back to the pregnant girl, it could be possible for her to feel guilt from societal pressures but not shame. It would depend upon the girl's background, how her parents raised her, her ethics, the influence from her friends and boyfriend, etc.
IMO the distinction between guilt in shame is extremely important yet underestimated.
Guilt is feeling bad about what you do. Shame is feeling bad about who you are.
Guilt is inflicted on a person by respected others or society itself. Inflicting guilt is one of the greatest mistakes secular religion makes. It can destroy another psychologically, Genuine remorse is the experience that we suffer the human condition. Rather than crippling, remorse serves to awaken us to reality. We see that we are the "wretched Man" and can strive to become balanced not to please others but to help ourselves and our connection to higher consciousness so as to become what we ARE.
Man would like to be an egoist and cannot. This is the most striking characteristic of his wretchedness and the source of his greatness." Simone Weil....Gravity and Grace
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Sorry to break up the self congratulatory party (on the decision that married, heterosexual couples are the best environment for child rearing). But the above posts suffer from a concentration on the mean and ignoring the standard deviation.

For the sake of simplicity let's stipulate that the above statement is in fact true, which itself could (and has) been argued by intelligent people without a clear conclusion. If you plot the "bestiness" of child rearing of married heterosexuals vs homosexual couples vs divorcees vs never marrieds. In our experiment the married heterosexual's mean would lead the pack (as stipulated), the unaddressed issue is that the bell shaped curves would overlap such that there would be examples of singles, divorcees and homosexual couples who outperform individual married heterosexuals. What of that?

A common example of what I am speaking of are adults who report that their (heterosexual) parents never divorced, which they would preferred since their dad made their home life unbearable. Thus divorce would have been superior. That individual occupies a low area of the married hetero curve and would have been on a higher part of the divorcee curve had the divorce happened.

Another take on the topic: what if data was uncovered that plural marriage led to even better mean outcomes than heterosexual married couples? Should folks all get another wife?
"As usual... it depends."
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

LuckyR not everyone agreed with lark_truth.
Unknown means unknown.

Return to “Ethics and Morality”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream