Why do people swear so much?

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Re: Why do people swear so much?

Post by Sy Borg »

LuckyR wrote: January 17th, 2018, 1:39 am
Greta wrote: January 16th, 2018, 5:54 pm Better out than in, as they say!
True, BUT it is possible to express the identical inner emotional release as well as distress among your adversaries without actually using common "swear" words.
I'll have to take your word for it, Lucky :)
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Greta wrote: January 17th, 2018, 3:13 am

True, BUT it is possible to express the identical inner emotional release as well as distress among your adversaries without actually using common "swear" words.
Well think about it, Swear words (from the perspective of your own mind) don't have magical powers of tension release, unless you give it that power. You could just as easily give that power to "darn", it is up to you. As to the perspective of other people, say your enemies, sure you could cuss them out, but let's face it, a middle school simpleton can as well. Not much of an attack if you ask me. OTOH, if you can mortally embarrass a work enemy in from of their superiors without using a swear word, while appearing to actually be nice to them... now that is owning them.
"As usual... it depends."
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

LuckyR wrote: January 17th, 2018, 12:28 pm
Well think about it, Swear words (from the perspective of your own mind) don't have magical powers of tension release, unless you give it that power. You could just as easily give that power to "darn", it is up to you.
Next time something excruciatingly problematic suddenly comes up, thwarting months of toil and effort, may I suggest that you politely say "oh bother".

Do you think it would have even a hundredth of the cathartic power of a good expletive? Old people don't recondition overnight. To lose the power of the swear word would take years of watching oneself carefully and retraining to gain catharsis from other words.

All I can say is fibblyboo that for a joke, Reverend! :P
Moreno

Post by Moreno »

Lark_Truth wrote: April 4th, 2017, 10:09 am So, dear fellow philosophers, I am coming to you with this burning question: Why do people swear so much?
For emphasis. They are intensifiers. It expresses emotion. If you overuse them, I think it detracts from their usefulness. Where the sweet spot is in the number of uses is a taste issue. As is the issue in general.
Moreno

Post by Moreno »

Sure...in general. But it might work best for some, or many, to use those words.
Moreno

Post by Moreno »

Well think about it, Swear words (from the perspective of your own mind) don't have magical powers of tension release, unless you give it that power. You could just as easily give that power to "darn", it is up to you. As to the perspective of other people, say your enemies, sure you could cuss them out, but let's face it, a middle school simpleton can as well. Not much of an attack if you ask me. OTOH, if you can mortally embarrass a work enemy in from of their superiors without using a swear word, while appearing to actually be nice to them... now that is owning them.
The way you frame it above, I think, is misleading. I certainly didn't choose, say, to give the F word power. I found that it had the power of tension release. It felt that way. Probably with a dash of the satisfying sound of it, but also given how I had been exposed to it. When it arose, how it sounded when it arose and so on. The use of the word I was exposed to. Just like most of the other words I learned via osmosis, sucking up language as child and youth language user.
I'd need a good reason to give up the use of the word. I don't use it often, but it releases tension just peachy for me.
And I'd rather have it hurled at me than all sorts of passive aggressive, condescending, indirect zingers and acts of implication. Though I probably deserve these on occasion also.
Lone Wolf
Favorite Philosopher: Pooh

Post by Lone Wolf »

It is an interesting question because I was taught early in my life that people use swear words because they don't have a proper word to express their emotion. In my own experience I have found that my use of swear words comes with association with people. If the people I work with swear a lot, I tend to do the same thing. If they use improper grammar I find myself adapting to the same use of grammar. If in a societal setting where epithets and incorrect grammar are not used then my language changes to fit that situation.

While societal association explains what I do, I still fall back on my early teaching that uneducated people use swear words because they simply don't know how to express an emotion without swearing.

When I was growing up there were comedians who told funny joke and never uttered an epithet. Of course those comedians were on television and heavily regulated. Then society changed and gave them license to cuss for effect. I still appreciate Red Skelton and Bob Hope as I knew them.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Moreno wrote: December 6th, 2022, 3:51 am
Sure...in general. But it might work best for some, or many, to use those words.
Agreed. If you, say, stub your toe, no words are as effective an outlet as the forbidden ones. Really, the whole concept of words being considered naughty and offensive is pretty primitive and juvenile - especially so, given that they all pertain to excreta, genitals and sex. Ooh waa, those are naughty words! There is no reason for mature adults to care about such words, one way or another.
Moreno

Post by Moreno »

Sy Borg wrote: December 6th, 2022, 6:59 pm
Agreed. If you, say, stub your toe, no words are as effective an outlet as the forbidden ones. Really, the whole concept of words being considered naughty and offensive is pretty primitive and juvenile - especially so, given that they all pertain to excreta, genitals and sex. Ooh waa, those are naughty words! There is no reason for mature adults to care about such words, one way or another.
Though here's the odd paradox. If they weren't taboo, I think, they wouldn't work so well. So, maybe we need the judgmental people to give those words the edge. And honestly I can't tell how serious I am with this thought.
I do think arguments against their use in general lack a foundation.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Moreno wrote: December 6th, 2022, 7:07 pm

Though here's the odd paradox. If they weren't taboo, I think, they wouldn't work so well. So, maybe we need the judgmental people to give those words the edge. And honestly I can't tell how serious I am with this thought.
Yes, we are adults (theoretically). None of it should be a big deal. Then again, "adult" is a funny word these days. "Adult" content is generally absurdly immature while content for kids is usually based on hobbies, which tend to be vastly more sophisticated and mature than so-called "adult" content.

I see no cause for optimism, though, as people are increasingly looking for chances to instigate social media witch hunts. Further, with rising populations come increased regulatory controls, plus more informal restrictions.
Moreno

Post by Moreno »

Sy Borg wrote: December 6th, 2022, 7:38 pm
Moreno wrote: December 6th, 2022, 7:07 pm
Moreno wrote: December 6th, 2022, 3:51 am Sure...in general. But it might work best for some, or many, to use those words.
Yes, we are adults (theoretically). None of it should be a big deal. Then again, "adult" is a funny word these days. "Adult" content is generally absurdly immature while content for kids is usually based on hobbies, which tend to be vastly more sophisticated and mature than so-called "adult" content.

I see no cause for optimism, though, as people are increasingly looking for chances to instigate social media witch hunts. Further, with rising populations come increased regulatory controls, plus more informal restrictions.
For me it is sad that the Left is running wild with witch hunts. Not being a spring chicken, I remember when the Right has the monopoly on political correctness in monstrous fashion and the Left, at least as I experienced them, were more open to diversity of ideas, personalities, eccentricities and, well, race, sexuality and gender roles and so on. Now both sides are armed to the teeth with judgment and with us or against us attitudes. Both think there are two teams, choose now and if you choose wrong (or seem to and any even mere questioning can make you seem to) you are THE enemy.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

I agree that it is easier and simpler. Which is fine, though to some of your audience, you will lose ground. Most in the heat of the moment don't care. Some after they cool down do care and regret it. Personally I like to win and I don't like to lose, so I am not drawn to vocabulary associated with losers.
Moreno

Post by Moreno »

LuckyR wrote: December 7th, 2022, 3:54 am I agree that it is easier and simpler.
I was thinking more along the lines of metaphorically innocent until proven guilty and don't fix what's not broken than ease.
Which is fine, though to some of your audience,
This is true and I don't toss it out in many stranger and work situations. And generally I am not out to offend. I am not saying it is wrong to use it around others who dislike those words as a rule, but I do have practical guidelines around their use.
Most in the heat of the moment don't care. Some after they cool down do care and regret it.
I can't think of a time I regretted the works. I have overreadted to what was happening, but it's the overreaction that I have regretted or my misunderstanding or dumping.
Personally I like to win and I don't like to lose, so I am not drawn to vocabulary associated with losers.
Wow. You implying others are losers is something you might regret? While at the same time keeping the judgment as possibly not yours but some unnamed other people's judgment?

I'd much rather have someone in the heat of the moment say F U to me than have them say something like...
Your behavior is associated with losers.

I see no reason to value the kinds of insults used in the upper classes or at court over direct expression of anger.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Moreno wrote: December 6th, 2022, 4:00 am

The way you frame it above, I think, is misleading. I certainly didn't choose, say, to give the F word power. I found that it had the power of tension release. It felt that way. Probably with a dash of the satisfying sound of it, but also given how I had been exposed to it. When it arose, how it sounded when it arose and so on. The use of the word I was exposed to. Just like most of the other words I learned via osmosis, sucking up language as child and youth language user.
I'd need a good reason to give up the use of the word. I don't use it often, but it releases tension just peachy for me.
And I'd rather have it hurled at me than all sorts of passive aggressive, condescending, indirect zingers and acts of implication. Though I probably deserve these on occasion also.
I don't see our two postings as inconsistent with one another. We agree that swear words have cultural power as tension relievers and insulters. My main point, which you didn't contradict, is that both can be accomplished without the use of swear words.
Moreno

Post by Moreno »

LuckyR wrote: December 7th, 2022, 4:12 am I don't see our two postings as inconsistent with one another. We agree that swear words have cultural power as tension relievers and insulters. My main point, which you didn't contradict, is that both can be accomplished without the use of swear words.
And also without implying that someone is a loser.

Return to “Ethics and Morality”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream