Good and Evil/Yin and Yang.

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
Kiras Return
New Trial Member

Good and Evil/Yin and Yang.

Post by Kiras Return »

The battle between good and evil, the Yin and Yang of this life, world etc....It is often easy to claim someone to be bad, evil, etc..., but let us consider this question. Could it be possible that perhaps good and evil are both seeking the same thing? Let me give you an example. Protection, Freedom, and knowing that you will not have to fear about food, water, etc...Knowing that you, your loved ones, and those around you will be taken care of. These things are generally things we think of as good things and when thinking of a leader, or someone that will be in control of your nation you'd expect, even demand that these qualities be very high inside of them. Now then consider if your leader gave you these things by heavily patrolling the towns, and by keeping an always watchful eye out for any sign of a threat, and the punishments for this were swift, and harsh to prevent such crimes in your nation. The general rule of law would be as long as you are not harming someone else than you are free to do as you please in an orderly way, yes mistakes will happen someone will be occasionally treated poorly, or wrongfully convicted of a crime, no system can, will, or has ever not been guilty of this from time to time, acceptable losses you might say, but back on topic.

The people in this nation may think it cruel, may think that this leader is some evil, maniacal, person, but in truth this person simply wants to keep everyone safe, their goal is not to make them feel like they are in a prison, it was simply the result of what happened to create a truly as safe as possible nation. This individual saw for example the mass violence in America and western Europe, and saw that by allowing people the opportunity to start, or even organize these events, and knowing the possible results that could happen in an instant, that the fact the opportunity was allowed, the fact that there were not enough police heavily armed to quickly, and swiftly prevent, or at least stop it itself was immoral and unforgivable! People have been seriously hurt, and killed by these violent events, stores have been robbed, burned and completely destroyed, that had nothing to do with these events. Different ethnical groups have been attacking each other on sight just for their skin color, so to end this, this individual did everything possible once in charge to create a place where these types of events would be far less likely, and much more easily stopped if they occurred, but would in doing this, would he be oppressing people, simply because it may appear that way from the outside, or because of the public's feelings? Would this in turn make this individual a bad, evil, etc. person?

I'd like to thank all of you that took the time to read/reply to this post, it's my first post and I'd enjoy hearing your thoughts.
Jackdeber
New Trial Member

Re: Good and Evil/Yin and Yang.

Post by Jackdeber »

Yea I think that although there is an element of that idea already present in society (we in democracy are just holiding back the flood gates).

I believe that this kind of extreme existence can only start to be considered moral (which I think it instrinaically isn't, and there in lies the problem) if it was considered that there was no solution to governing a society.

I think we have found a less flawed solution (not perfect) solution in our most if the western world. But I still like to hope that there is a more freeing answer.

However I conclude that your example is a little restricted in its scope to fully discover if good and evil are the same thing. In this example I would say no they are not.
snt

Re: Good and Evil/Yin and Yang.

Post by snt »

In my opinion, the solution lies in the consideration that there is just good and that good can unite people. Religions have attempted it and modern society can perhaps philosophize it into a more functional form.

For example, I noticed that in China, when people were motivated to support a war, they were convinced by a belief in the idea of good.

What is good? Morality starts with the quest and when it is considered by logic - which many profound philosophers have done - that good must precede human nature, it is possible to overcome the hurdle of subjective laziness and drive people principally to consider the good of others and beyond.

Further, sound moral culture would enable any person to find a foundation for a meaningful life in virtue, which according to many philosophers is the highest human good, by which they will achieve an optimal condition for a path to sincere happiness and health in life, which benefits humanity.

A simple act of kindness towards another person is sufficient to initiate a foundation for a meaningful life. The initiation can be done by any person in any condition and it can have profound - life changing - effects on the lives of others.

From my perspective, what is required is a factor to spur urgency to enhance the potential for moral consideration. Ignorance of morality has caused grave and fatal problems, besides grave suffering.

Only when the potential for moral consideration is present, someone can be considered responsible in the face of his/her dignity.

When humanity is to secure its future and to achieve an optimal path, it would be case that humanity is set to enhance its moral consideration potential with everlasting urgency to be certain that whatever path it has chosen, has been given the right chance to have been the right path.

The problem at hand is not an answer to morality, but an answer to the potential required for moral consideration. (what is required to create a moral culture)

The trend in leadership today is a focus on authenticity and a moral compass. The number one business book of recent years, by an author that is considered the new father of leadership, is named 'True North' and is about a moral compass.

I recently listened to a podcast with as guest Lisa Monaco, a former Counterterrorism Advisor of President Barack Obama. She specifically addresses the significance of a sound moral compass and hints that it might involve more than social and cultural instincts (in the podcast she mentioned a 'sixth sense').

Podcast: https://listennotes.com/podcasts/the-le ... li-5dvNUT/

It is interesting to notice that people who manage other people often seem to hold a special interest in morality. When one is to make choices on behalf of other people as part of an organization, morality is essentially what will determine quality in the choices that are made.

From this perspective, despite that the modern technological society intends to break free from morality (i.e. the idea "A God is dead world in which science tells us our moral intuitions are simply a happenstance of evolutionary utility" that a user on this forum mentioned recently), there seems to be a solid ground and opportunity for morality to revive in the near future.

My suggestion would be to help secure interest for morality in a more robust sense beyond the scope of human ego. It wouldn't be just intended to be kind to other conscious beings, morality can be seen as a form of long-term intelligence that could help stave off disaster and secure progress in ways that could prove to be vital.

When a moral culture is set in motion, like a domino effect, it will prevent evil fundamentally.

Return to “Ethics and Morality”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream