In one word..

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
User avatar
Socrateaze
Posts: 132
Joined: July 25th, 2017, 8:07 am
Favorite Philosopher: George Carlin

Re: In one word..

Post by Socrateaze » July 26th, 2017, 4:46 am

LuckyR wrote:
Socrateaze wrote:Power is all that matters, especially the power within yourself.
Uummm... since the OP is asking: "In one word, what is the one value that holds the most power in your life?", you might want to make a different choice.
No, I'll stick with that, since power has different meanings. In this case the OP probably means strength, I mean influence.

User avatar
Socrateaze
Posts: 132
Joined: July 25th, 2017, 8:07 am
Favorite Philosopher: George Carlin

Re: In one word..

Post by Socrateaze » July 26th, 2017, 4:49 am

Greta wrote:
LuckyR wrote: (Nested quote removed.)


Uummm... since the OP is asking: "In one word, what is the one value that holds the most power in your life?", you might want to make a different choice.
Is "power" not a powerful word? :) I misread too. "Gratitude" is more aspirational than powerful for me.

When I feel uncentred I have a little gimmick to feel better that I call "PPG" - posture, poise, groove.

So first I seek to straighten up and breathe purposefully.

But I don't want to be like an "Alexandroid" - where in the 90s you could tell when someone was an Alexander Technique newbie because they looked as though they had a big stick up their bum. So "poise" means to consider internal comfort and external appearance.

"Groove" comes because I play drums, so the word brings to mind notions of relaxed fluidity with playfulness.
There can be no gratitude with out the power to bring it into your life. We may inherit some things to be grateful for, but without power we cannot maintain it.

User avatar
GraphicsGuy
New Trial Member
Posts: 10
Joined: July 26th, 2017, 11:36 am

Re: In one word..

Post by GraphicsGuy » July 26th, 2017, 1:49 pm

Curiosity.

User avatar
LuckyR
Moderator
Posts: 3017
Joined: January 18th, 2015, 1:16 am

Re: In one word..

Post by LuckyR » July 26th, 2017, 10:58 pm

Socrateaze wrote:
LuckyR wrote: (Nested quote removed.)


Uummm... since the OP is asking: "In one word, what is the one value that holds the most power in your life?", you might want to make a different choice.
No, I'll stick with that, since power has different meanings. In this case the OP probably means strength, I mean influence.
You sound very influential.
"As usual... it depends."

Synthesis
Posts: 189
Joined: July 15th, 2017, 12:54 pm

Re: In one word..

Post by Synthesis » July 26th, 2017, 11:47 pm

Impermanence.

User avatar
-1-
Posts: 879
Joined: December 1st, 2016, 2:23 am

Re: In one word..

Post by -1- » July 27th, 2017, 2:43 am

Socrateaze wrote: Uummm... since the OP is asking: "In one word, what is the one value that holds the most power in your life?", you might want to make a different choice.
No, I'll stick with that, since power has different meanings. In this case the OP probably means strength, I mean influence.[/quote]

So you did not answer the OP's question. He or she asked you to name the strongest strength in your life, and you gave him what gives you the most influence.

He asked for the strength, you pointed at the influence.

If you say influence is your strongest strength, then why did you not say "influence"? It is NOT equivalent to power, yet they one might (partially) include the other.
-----------------

If I had been you, I would have defended your initial response of saying that what gives you the most power is power, with the following argument:
(What gives you the most (1) power is (2) power.)

(1) is a reference to the summation of all things that give you power.
(2) is a reference to the very thing of all things that give you power, and which very thing is the largest input of all input that gives your total power.
(3) power is one of the constituent things that together give us power.
(4) as an analogy, think of a slab of iron. It contains iron atoms, oxygen atoms, carbon atoms, and may contain many other kinds of atoms. What is the single ingredient in a slab of iron that gives it the quality of iron? Well, the single ingredient of iron that makes it iron is iron itself.

Although LuckyR made as if this was inadmissible, your initial answer was perfectly correct and admissible.

I think LuckyR's origin of criticism was to the fact that you (general you) ought not to define a word using that same word. Here, however, we did not define things, only named them. Therefore there was no need to defend your stance against LuckyR's objection.
This search engine is powered by Hunger, Thirst, and a desperate need to Mate.

User avatar
Socrateaze
Posts: 132
Joined: July 25th, 2017, 8:07 am
Favorite Philosopher: George Carlin

Re: In one word..

Post by Socrateaze » July 27th, 2017, 3:03 am

LuckyR wrote:
Socrateaze wrote: (Nested quote removed.)


No, I'll stick with that, since power has different meanings. In this case the OP probably means strength, I mean influence.
You sound very influential.
I do not brandish my power, but since the OP asked I said what was important to me. Power has a legion of meanings and can be used in many ways. But for me to show or explain it is to give up my secrets. Time will tell... But in the mean time, why don't you level with me and just accept my choice?

User avatar
Socrateaze
Posts: 132
Joined: July 25th, 2017, 8:07 am
Favorite Philosopher: George Carlin

Re: In one word..

Post by Socrateaze » July 27th, 2017, 3:08 am

-1- wrote:
Socrateaze wrote: Uummm... since the OP is asking: "In one word, what is the one value that holds the most power in your life?", you might want to make a different choice.
No, I'll stick with that, since power has different meanings. In this case the OP probably means strength, I mean influence.
So you did not answer the OP's question. He or she asked you to name the strongest strength in your life, and you gave him what gives you the most influence.

He asked for the strength, you pointed at the influence.

If you say influence is your strongest strength, then why did you not say "influence"? It is NOT equivalent to power, yet they one might (partially) include the other.
-----------------

If I had been you, I would have defended your initial response of saying that what gives you the most power is power, with the following argument:
(What gives you the most (1) power is (2) power.)

(1) is a reference to the summation of all things that give you power.
(2) is a reference to the very thing of all things that give you power, and which very thing is the largest input of all input that gives your total power.
(3) power is one of the constituent things that together give us power.
(4) as an analogy, think of a slab of iron. It contains iron atoms, oxygen atoms, carbon atoms, and may contain many other kinds of atoms. What is the single ingredient in a slab of iron that gives it the quality of iron? Well, the single ingredient of iron that makes it iron is iron itself.

Although LuckyR made as if this was inadmissible, your initial answer was perfectly correct and admissible.

I think LuckyR's origin of criticism was to the fact that you (general you) ought not to define a word using that same word. Here, however, we did not define things, only named them. Therefore there was no need to defend your stance against LuckyR's objection.[/quote]

No, I don't need people telling me what I mean or what I should have said. I know what I mean and it is not rocket science to understand it, besides atomic power is not what I mean, which is one of your examples. Without power, everything is meaningless and if you don't have it, others will have it over you.

Prothero
Posts: 51
Joined: June 13th, 2017, 7:40 pm

Re: In one word..

Post by Prothero » July 27th, 2017, 9:11 am

Creativity (novelty, change, process, becoming).

User avatar
LuckyR
Moderator
Posts: 3017
Joined: January 18th, 2015, 1:16 am

Re: In one word..

Post by LuckyR » July 28th, 2017, 3:38 am

Socrateaze wrote:
LuckyR wrote: (Nested quote removed.)


You sound very influential.
I do not brandish my power, but since the OP asked I said what was important to me. Power has a legion of meanings and can be used in many ways. But for me to show or explain it is to give up my secrets. Time will tell... But in the mean time, why don't you level with me and just accept my choice?
You misunderstand, I have no authority to dictate your answer, rather merely reminded you of the OP's question in case you wanted to give an answer that would communicate accurately. Of course in this and other threads you have alluded to a desire to keep key (to the conversation) information hidden, so accuracy may not be a priority for you.
"As usual... it depends."

User avatar
Advocate
New Trial Member
Posts: 7
Joined: July 6th, 2017, 2:15 pm

Re: In one word..

Post by Advocate » July 28th, 2017, 7:11 am

TIME MAN wrote:TIME does not limit, it allows. If you don't have time, how can you run out of it? Your TIME allowance limits.....

Time is a relative value, it can be considered infinite or a singularity depending on the opportunity. Time is what we use to create an order and to establish what living in the moment represents.

The reason I said time is the limitation to this question because our "individual time" depicts what we value the most during the present opportunity. Our individual growth requires time to grow.

-- Updated July 28th, 2017, 8:59 am to add the following --
-1- wrote:
Socrateaze wrote: Uummm... since the OP is asking: "In one word, what is the one value that holds the most power in your life?", you might want to make a different choice.
No, I'll stick with that, since power has different meanings. In this case the OP probably means strength, I mean influence.
So you did not answer the OP's question. He or she asked you to name the strongest strength in your life, and you gave him what gives you the most influence.

He asked for the strength, you pointed at the influence.

If you say influence is your strongest strength, then why did you not say "influence"? It is NOT equivalent to power, yet they one might (partially) include the other.
-----------------

If I had been you, I would have defended your initial response of saying that what gives you the most power is power, with the following argument:
(What gives you the most (1) power is (2) power.)

(1) is a reference to the summation of all things that give you power.
(2) is a reference to the very thing of all things that give you power, and which very thing is the largest input of all input that gives your total power.
(3) power is one of the constituent things that together give us power.
(4) as an analogy, think of a slab of iron. It contains iron atoms, oxygen atoms, carbon atoms, and may contain many other kinds of atoms. What is the single ingredient in a slab of iron that gives it the quality of iron? Well, the single ingredient of iron that makes it iron is iron itself.

Although LuckyR made as if this was inadmissible, your initial answer was perfectly correct and admissible.

I think LuckyR's origin of criticism was to the fact that you (general you) ought not to define a word using that same word. Here, however, we did not define things, only named them. Therefore there was no need to defend your stance against LuckyR's objection.[/quote]


Power can still be the one value. Yes, this question is to identify and strengthen your core values/beliefs. The power of this question is to influence you're awareness of what you have and what you seek.

The value of Power is a cause and effect. Speaking metaphysically, power is an intangible value. Within our reality, we perceive power to have taken form as a tangible object (ex. money).
Power is knowledge. With knowledge comes pain, from pain comes knowledge.

User avatar
Taschenrechner
New Trial Member
Posts: 5
Joined: July 31st, 2017, 9:08 am

Re: In one word..

Post by Taschenrechner » August 2nd, 2017, 8:13 am

Fan of Science wrote:I am unable to determine which value is the number one value in my life. I wouldn't even know how to determine such a thing. It varies depending on the situation I am in.
Well said.

I would have to agree with OP, will, to keep pushing you forward.

User avatar
Ranvier
Posts: 538
Joined: February 12th, 2017, 1:47 pm
Location: USA

Re: In one word..

Post by Ranvier » August 4th, 2017, 2:44 am

Money...I'll say it for the benefit of all the hypocrites :)

User avatar
Advocate
New Trial Member
Posts: 7
Joined: July 6th, 2017, 2:15 pm

Re: In one word..

Post by Advocate » August 9th, 2017, 9:45 am

Doing my best to not redirecting this thread on a religious perspective but this one excerpt hits the nail on the head in my opinion on the perception of power.

"My grace is sufficient for you, for power is made perfect in weakness." So, I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me. Therefore I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities for the sake of Christ; for whenever I am weak, then I am strong.
- Corinthians 13.2

User avatar
LuckyR
Moderator
Posts: 3017
Joined: January 18th, 2015, 1:16 am

Re: In one word..

Post by LuckyR » August 10th, 2017, 1:16 am

Ranvier wrote:Money...I'll say it for the benefit of all the hypocrites :)
Money carries more power in it's absence than in overabundance.
"As usual... it depends."

Post Reply