Toilets

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
Gharris_35
New Trial Member

Toilets

Post by Gharris_35 »

I was thinking the other day at what point did we start having male and female toilets? Yet at in our homes/hotel rooms, they are shared. Apart from the obvious reasons to accommodate religious reasons. Is there any moral or philosophical reason why?

Graham
Kinyonga

Re: Toilets

Post by Kinyonga »

What does religion have to do with separate toilets for men and women?
Gharris_35
New Trial Member

Post by Gharris_35 »

I was thinking of those religious sects where men and women who are not married are encouraged to remain apart or chaperoned.
Lone Wolf
Favorite Philosopher: Pooh

Post by Lone Wolf »

It has nothing to do with religion. It has to do with mass use of toilets. In homes and hotel rooms there are only immediate occupants who use the toilets so they can be used by one person at a time. In public you will usually find multiple facility toilets so that more than one person at a time can be accommodated and that is where the separation of the sexes comes into play.
-1-

Post by -1- »

The reason for male/female toilets go back to Hessen, Germany, in WWI. Combat soldiers were exempt from duty temporarily to finish their business, so to speak. But there were women in the war zone, and they took a considerably long time in the washroom, and the soldiers had to wait their turn. This was developing into a threat on national security, and in an incredibly super-human war effort, the gov built a whole series of separate male/female washrooms along the Maginot-line and in other trench-warfare zones.

The British, French and Russian armies soon followed suit. It is a truth that in war, an invention by you will be quickly copied by the enemy.

It's also true, as the example shows, that truly inventive technological changes are always generated quickly in wartime, never in peace time.
This search engine is powered by Hunger, Thirst, and a desperate need to Mate.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

-1- wrote:It's also true, as the example shows, that truly inventive technological changes are always generated quickly in wartime, never in peace time.
The drive to thrive simply isn't as compelling (or uncomfortable) as the drive to survive.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Greta wrote:
-1- wrote:It's also true, as the example shows, that truly inventive technological changes are always generated quickly in wartime, never in peace time.
The drive to thrive simply isn't as compelling (or uncomfortable) as the drive to survive.
The drive to survive...

They were experimenting for a while to induce survival panic in athletes who run, swim, etc, because they figured they could half their best times. The experiments did not work out.

Drive to reproduce...

Many, many, many completely undocumented cases exist where the coach promises to the fastest runner that if he gets an unreasonably good time, he can have the coach's wife for a night.

Once in a while the athlete gets the job done, and the coach becomes reluctant to allow him access to his wife.

I don't know what normally happens after that.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Outhouses preceded toilets (and WWI) by quite a longshot. Historically there were always unisex outhouses, the male ones with a sun symbol and female ones with a moon symbol. As one might predict the female ones were typically in a better state of cleanliness and thus everyone wanted to use them, hence why outhouses typically are depicted with the crescent moon symbol.
"As usual... it depends."
-1-

Post by -1- »

What happens when two separate, sexually active outhouses of different sexes physically unite?

Outhouse love. It's a beautiful thing.

(-:
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

-1- wrote:What happens when two separate, sexually active outhouses of different sexes physically unite?

Outhouse love. It's a beautiful thing.

(-:
I believe that is covered in one of the other threads, though it depends if the male outhouse feels that they are trapped in the foundation of a female outhouse...
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

-1- wrote:
Greta wrote: (Nested quote removed.)

The drive to survive...

They were experimenting for a while to induce survival panic in athletes who run, swim, etc, because they figured they could half their best times. The experiments did not work out.

Drive to reproduce...

Many, many, many completely undocumented cases exist where the coach promises to the fastest runner that if he gets an unreasonably good time, he can have the coach's wife for a night.

Once in a while the athlete gets the job done, and the coach becomes reluctant to allow him access to his wife.

I don't know what normally happens after that.
If I was the coach's wife, once I found out about the offer then he and I would soon have separate toilets in separate houses and I would seek counselling to find out how I could have misread his character so badly :)

For the record, I think most people today figure that segregated toilets are simply safer and more hygienic for women, with any differing history relatively unimportant to them.
George1949
New Trial Member

Post by George1949 »

Very strange topic for a philosophical site.

The main reason we have male and female restrooms is modesty. And, women need more privacy, especially when they are menstruating and must remove more to go to the bathroom. However, unisex bathrooms are very common in some countries, e.g., China.

I have never seen separate outhouses for the men and women. And, it is pure nonsense that the sun symbol was for women and moon for men. Are you kidding?

I am flabbergasted that anyone would think that this has something to do with religious reasons. And, morality has nothing to do with bathrooms, unisex or not.

My grandfather had a 3 seater (3 holes in piece of wood) outhouse on his farm in 1967. His outhouse had no symbols on the door. He only had cold running water in his house and no toilets. He had a wash basin. You heated water on the stove and used the wash basin for your bathing in the kitchen. The kitchen was off limits to the men when the women were bathing. And, toilet paper was a luxury; you used old newspapers to wipe with if you ran out of toilet paper.

For the record, an outhouse is a toilet.

He kept a pot to urinate in in the house for the women and kids at night.

The men never used the outhouse just to urinate except during a bowel movement. Men urinated outside discretely, i.e., out of site, e.g., behind a tree or the barn.

And, the idea that separate toilets are safer is pure childish nonsense.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

George1949 wrote:Very strange topic for a philosophical site.

The main reason we have male and female restrooms is modesty. And, women need more privacy, especially when they are menstruating and must remove more to go to the bathroom. However, unisex bathrooms are very common in some countries, e.g., China.

I have never seen separate outhouses for the men and women. And, it is pure nonsense that the sun symbol was for women and moon for men. Are you kidding?

I am flabbergasted that anyone would think that this has something to do with religious reasons. And, morality has nothing to do with bathrooms, unisex or not.

My grandfather had a 3 seater (3 holes in piece of wood) outhouse on his farm in 1967. His outhouse had no symbols on the door. He only had cold running water in his house and no toilets. He had a wash basin. You heated water on the stove and used the wash basin for your bathing in the kitchen. The kitchen was off limits to the men when the women were bathing. And, toilet paper was a luxury; you used old newspapers to wipe with if you ran out of toilet paper.

For the record, an outhouse is a toilet.

He kept a pot to urinate in in the house for the women and kids at night.

The men never used the outhouse just to urinate except during a bowel movement. Men urinated outside discretely, i.e., out of site, e.g., behind a tree or the barn.

And, the idea that separate toilets are safer is pure childish nonsense.

The mere mention of an outhouse can be enough to turn a stomach. Cottagers who have or continue to use them know it’s hard to shake that unforgettable stench. But while most cottagers shudder at the thought of them, others find them fascinating—so much so that outhouses are studied, restored, raced, and even stolen.

John Loose has learned a lot about outdoor toilets since launching the Outhouse Tour of America in 1997, an online collection of hundreds of random facts, photos, and stories about outhouses from around the world. He’s been interviewed for a Wall Street Journal cover feature, and even invited to England by descendants of British toilet entrepreneur
Thomas Crapper.

Never heard of the Outhouse Tour of America? Here are 10 more things you didn’t think you’d ever know about outhouses.

1. There’s meaning behind the moons and stars: Moon and star cut-outs are commonly found on outhouse doors, allegedly dating back to colonial times when literacy levels were low. “They serve two purposes,” explains Loose. “Basically, they’re for lighting but the other purpose was to tell the difference between the male and the female outhouses.” A crescent moon symbolized a female and a star a male. However, he says that if families had a single outhouse, it most likely had a moon on it.

Return to “Ethics and Morality”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream