Is this person a "liar"?

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
Razblo

Re: Is this person a "liar"?

Post by Razblo »

Atreyu wrote:
Razblo wrote: And "evasion" is not lying, and the apparently "evasive" smoking person A may have merely been publicly expressing their hope that they would quit. If so this is not lying. It is merely an internal and personal struggle.
If a person says he will do something tomorrow, and does not do it, then he lied. A lie is a lie whether or not it was conscious or unconscious, intentional or unintentional.

And unconscious or unintentional lying is much worse than intentionally and consciously lying. If a man is going to lie, he should be fully aware he's lying, and he should know why he's lying. Intentionally lying to achieve an aim is preferable to habitually lying out of habit.
It maybe that he failed. Failing isn't automatically lying. This thing, where people say, as if in some absolute sense, that this or that is the case, is silly.

He may have lied or he may not have lied. The report in the OP is an insufficient one for determining some absolute fact, as you seem to have done.
Ulrich
New Trial Member

Post by Ulrich »

Razblo wrote:
Atreyu wrote: (Nested quote removed.)

If a person says he will do something tomorrow, and does not do it, then he lied. A lie is a lie whether or not it was conscious or unconscious, intentional or unintentional.

And unconscious or unintentional lying is much worse than intentionally and consciously lying. If a man is going to lie, he should be fully aware he's lying, and he should know why he's lying. Intentionally lying to achieve an aim is preferable to habitually lying out of habit.
It maybe that he failed. Failing isn't automatically lying. This thing, where people say, as if in some absolute sense, that this or that is the case, is silly.

He may have lied or he may not have lied. The report in the OP is an insufficient one for determining some absolute fact, as you seem to have done.
I would not say he is lying beause he has failed to keep his promise. The promise and the failure of A are not a lie and thus not problematic. Both are not a lie in any sense of the word. However, A is, in my opinion, lying because after he picked up smoking again he conceales this failure from B. I would argue that A is obliged to inform B because of his past promise to B. By not doing so, A becomes a liar.

The ethical problem is not about what A does, rather on what he does not do. Is there a lie by omission, if so, under what conditions and does the case of A satisfy those conditions? Or to be more precise: Is A (morally) obliged to inform B about his relapse because the told him that he would quit smoking?
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Ulrich wrote:
Razblo wrote: (Nested quote removed.)

I would not say he is lying beause he has failed to keep his promise. The promise and the failure of A are not a lie and thus not problematic. Both are not a lie in any sense of the word. However, A is, in my opinion, lying because after he picked up smoking again he conceales this failure from B. I would argue that A is obliged to inform B because of his past promise to B. By not doing so, A becomes a liar.

The ethical problem is not about what A does, rather on what he does not do. Is there a lie by omission, if so, under what conditions and does the case of A satisfy those conditions? Or to be more precise: Is A (morally) obliged to inform B about his relapse because the told him that he would quit smoking?
A is deceiving B by hiding his smoking. You are correct that he is not obligated to tell B he has taken up smoking, thus the lack of such a conversation does not make A a liar. However by intentionally hiding his smoking, deception is being committed, thus a lie by omission is the intent and thus the label of liar.
"As usual... it depends."
Ulrich
New Trial Member

Post by Ulrich »

:) Since we both agree on this point: What are in your opinion the general criteria for a lie by omission? We know that there has to be an obligation not only to say the truth, but also to inform the adressee. But what constitutes such an obligation? What is the definable normative criteria that obligates us to inform the other about certain in order to avoid becomming a liar?
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Ulrich wrote::) Since we both agree on this point: What are in your opinion the general criteria for a lie by omission? We know that there has to be an obligation not only to say the truth, but also to inform the adressee. But what constitutes such an obligation? What is the definable normative criteria that obligates us to inform the other about certain in order to avoid becomming a liar?
I approach this issue from a different perspective, namely is there the intention to deceive. If there is the intention to deceive and there is an obligation to tell the truth, that is a classic case of lying that we all think of, say the textbook definition. OTOH, what if someone intends to deceive another, who DOESN'T have an obligation to receive the truth? Well, that is still a lie (because of the intention to deceive), but it is not a negative thing (because of the lack of an obligation to tell the truth), what we used to call a "white lie". But still a lie.

If someone tell an untruth without the intention to deceive, that could either be a mistake, or perhaps sarcasm, where everyone knows the information is inaccurate.
Atreyu
Favorite Philosopher: P.D. Ouspensky

Post by Atreyu »

"Intending to deceive" and a "lie" are two different things. I'm approaching it from the POV of what's actually "technically" correct. If a man says something that is not true, then he lied. Pure and simple.

It doesn't necessarily mean he meant to lie, or that he wanted to lie, or that he was trying to deceive himself or others. But it does mean that he lied.

This brings up a very important topic. To speak the truth a man first has to know what the truth is.

And when a man thinks (or acts like) he knows something he really does not know, the inevitable result will be lying.

The man lied because he had a false view of himself. He really believed he could quit smoking, but he couldn't. So he lied. If he was honest, he would have said "I am going to try and not smoke anymore" or "I am confident that I won't smoke anymore" or "I really believe I won't smoke anymore". Once he acts as if he knows, speaking with unwarranted confidence and sureness, he sets himself up to lie.

But he's not a "liar". A "liar", to me, is specifically someone who regularly and intentionally lies for personal gain. A person who wishes to speak the truth, but cannot, like the man in our example who wants to quit smoking, and believes he can do it (falsely), is merely a "fool", a "wannabe"...
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Atreyu wrote:"Intending to deceive" and a "lie" are two different things. I'm approaching it from the POV of what's actually "technically" correct. If a man says something that is not true, then he lied. Pure and simple.

It doesn't necessarily mean he meant to lie, or that he wanted to lie, or that he was trying to deceive himself or others. But it does mean that he lied.

This brings up a very important topic. To speak the truth a man first has to know what the truth is.

And when a man thinks (or acts like) he knows something he really does not know, the inevitable result will be lying.

The man lied because he had a false view of himself. He really believed he could quit smoking, but he couldn't. So he lied. If he was honest, he would have said "I am going to try and not smoke anymore" or "I am confident that I won't smoke anymore" or "I really believe I won't smoke anymore". Once he acts as if he knows, speaking with unwarranted confidence and sureness, he sets himself up to lie.

But he's not a "liar". A "liar", to me, is specifically someone who regularly and intentionally lies for personal gain. A person who wishes to speak the truth, but cannot, like the man in our example who wants to quit smoking, and believes he can do it (falsely), is merely a "fool", a "wannabe"...
So do you see a difference between a mistake (someone believes something to be true, perhaps he was told it was true, passes along what he thought was true, but he himself was lied to and his information is untrue) and someone who in fact knows the truth and decides to tell an untruth? Both lies in your eyes?

In fact, one could imagine a scenario where a habitual liar mistakenly tells the truth (since he was misinformed of what the truth really is) by accident when he intended to tell a lie. That dude is IMO telling a lie, even when he told the truth since it was his intention to deceive.
Alias
Favorite Philosopher: Terry Pratchett

Post by Alias »

Razblo wrote: We know when a lie is told except in politics? I don't get that at all. We certainly can know when politicians lie.
Then why do you keep electing obvious and habitual liars to administer your formidable store of lethal weapons and public works?
Anyway, i didn't say you know when a lie is being told; I said you know the difference truth-telling and lying - whatever face-saving label you put on the latter.
And "evasion" is not lying,
No: deliberate deception is.
and the apparently "evasive" smoking person A may have merely been publicly expressing their hope that they would quit.
"I will" is different from "I'll try" is different from "I have."
I know all about this, having gone through every phase of it several times, before I actually did. There was much good intention involved, as well as much self-deception and overt lying.
Those who can induce you to believe absurdities can induce you to commit atrocities. - Voltaire

Return to “Ethics and Morality”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream