The Universal Moral Code

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
BlindedWantsToSee

Re: The Universal Moral Code

Post by BlindedWantsToSee »

Yes, it is also called Causality, a principle advocated by Determinism. From a different article I wrote, I quote:

"Every cause has an effect, and every action evokes a chain reaction, including an equivalent action that goes back to the doer of such action. The totality of what a person is, feels, and does, is the result of previously planted seeds. Then that person continues the chain by planting his or her own seeds. What people sow, they reap. If we sow harm to others, we will reap harm for ourselves. Any harm that comes back to us comes mechanically, not by somebody getting revenge necessarily. The law of Causality tells us that any and all actions become causes which have effects. Those effects also have effects, in a chain reaction. The whole universe is like a very complex row of dominoes. Eventually, what we do to others comes back to us.

This is not mysticism; it is physics! What I'm saying seems to be mysticism because the effects or reactions that I'm talking about are not immediate. They may take months, or years or decades or a lifetime to manifest. An example of an effect that is not seen right away is delayed onset muscle soreness. This is the pain and stiffness felt in muscles several hours to days after unaccustomed or strenuous exercise. The soreness is felt most strongly 24 to 72 hours after the exercise. If the delay for the muscle soreness to start were to become longer; let's say 6 months, we would not know why the soreness is there. The same would happen if our memories where extremely short. Let's say we forget the exercise we did by the end of the hour, and the next morning we wake up sore. It would seem mysticism to suggest exercise caused it. But it is not mysticism, it is physics! There are a lot of examples of delayed effects: eating junk, smoking, and practicing bad habits of most types. The negative effects on our lives may not be obvious for a long time".
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

If this was "physics" you'd not likely be discussing it on a philosophy site in a forum title "Ethics and Morality" under the heading "The Universal Moral Code."

It is hard to know what to make of this thread tbh. It seems that some people have a strange idea of what "karma" means. Well, I say strange, I guess they just adhere to the vague westernized approximation of "karma", to wish I can only say why bother bringing in a foreign idea to fit your native view? Just use plain old English and say "those you do good reap the rewards", you don't need Eastern mysticism to express such a view.

That said I do see that there is a lot that can be relatable to Western religiosity in regard to the idea of "karma", but I would be using the term in a much more broader way myself fif I was to compare the differing religious ideas.
AKA badgerjelly
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

That said I find your "code" interesting. I think you have managed to express to extreme poles of the human condition. I neither believe I "own" myself or that anyone else "owns" me. I think the reality of the situation lies in between the two and that to adhere to one view over the other opens up a path to danger ideologies. One would have to be very wise and intelligent in order to navigate such an unforgiving path of extreme ideology.
AKA badgerjelly
BlindedWantsToSee

The terminology we use, the words we use, are not as important as the realities those words are trying to describe. Accurately understanding reality, understanding truth, is good for us. If the terminology I use does not allow you to understand your reality, please don't use it. If my post prompted you to think about these important issues, and if as a result you are now closer to the truth by drawing up your own conclusions, then I'm satisfied. That was my intention.

If I were to use Henry Ford's way of speaking, I would say:

Whether you think you own yourself or think you don't, you’re right.
Whether you believe you, exclusively, have rights over your own life or not, you are right.
If you think only you have the right to determine your life and your destiny, or you think others have that right, or you think it is s mix of you and others who have that right, in any case you are right.

It's all good. Whatever you want for yourself or whatever you are more comfortable with is good for you. You make the rules in you (nobody else can because nobody else is in there, only you is in you).

I think you are probably right about the dangers of extreme ideologies. I think your heart needs to be in the right place. I think my heart is in the right place. I know I make mistakes, and I'm willing to suffer the consequences, and I believe that ending injustice, violence, cruelty, misery, disease, and all other types of suffering in all living beings is worth the risk.
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

It just sounds a bit like people could read your words and justify delusions by them.

Words are most certainly important. They can change the world and they are dangerous if misused.
AKA badgerjelly
Zarathustra2008
New Trial Member

Post by Zarathustra2008 »

People believes what they want to believe. Karma is a belief system that promote rules and good behaviors. I have been taught to fear karma all my life as your bad deeds will come back to you ten folds. The moral of the story is, you are still going to reap what you sow...soon or later.
BlindedWantsToSee

I agree we reap what we sow, sooner or later. That's karma. I don't believe the retribution comes tenfold, though; I believe it is in kind or somewhat proportionate to our actions. I do not believe karma should be feared, though. We can beat karma. The way to beat karma is called forgiveness. We must forgive others for the wrongs they have done to us, and we must forgive ourselves for the wrongs we have done to others and to ourselves. If we let go of the need for punishment or retribution (for both others and ourselves), we are letting go of karma; and it no longer has power over us.

Karma is misunderstood. Karma is the law of cause and effect, with a twist. To illustrate: let us suppose we take a hammer with one hand, and we strike our other hand with it as hard as we can. At that point we find out this action is the wrong action to take. We have caused ourselves harm. It is obvious we have done it to ourselves. That is immediate karma, cause and effect. Now, let's suppose we take the hammer and we strike others with it. We are empowered now. Others fear us. Others do what we want. Now we feel good instead of having a broken hand, but karma will get us back at some point in the future for the evil of our actions toward others. However, this is just an appearance because, in reality, we are all connected, in an energetic level, in a similar way our hand is connected to our brain (this is not obvious, but it is true). We are made of the same energy everybody else is made of. When we strike or harm others, we are really doing it to ourselves. When karma catches up to us and we start feeling the pain, we believe karma is doing it; but we are wrong. This time it is not obvious, but the pain we are feeling is a pain we caused to ourselves by harming others which are connected to us. There is no need to fear karma because we are in control of karma. If we do not cause ourselves harm by causing others harm, and we let go of hard feelings or guilt, we have just destroyed karma.

Listen to this article if you have the chance (re-assemble the url address).

https://drive.google.com/
file/d/
1m8NdCUR5RuVSp3VPWaQe2dsdE4sWRMtA/
view?usp=sharing
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Karma is not misunderstood, it is MISTRANSLATED.
AKA badgerjelly
BlindedWantsToSee

Interesting. What do you mean? Is there ill intention on the part of those who translate karma, to deceive or manipulate people? Or is the mistranslation unintentional, due to incompetence?
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

I see no problem if you're brought up in India to refer to "karma." If on the other hand you happen to be European it makes more sense to root your use of analogy and metaphor in European mythos given that European languages are necessarily entwined with European mythos not Indian mythos.

This is not to say that they are not related only that there is serious danger of making false equivalence between two completely separate historical traditions.

You reap what you sow is a Christian saying and "karma" is certainly a vaguely comparable idea, but I'd be hard pressed to say I know with any authority that they are the same thing based on the same mystical, mythological or moral themes. For one the "karmic" principle engages with the idea of reincarnation and points to pains suffered in this life being caused by a past life. Christianity doesn't hold to such ideas.
AKA badgerjelly
BlindedWantsToSee

To be honest, I pay no attention to what the Christian religion says, or what the Hindu religion says, or what any other religion says, about karma or about anything else; not anymore. They are all wrong! (claiming to have the truth). Actually, I'm positive they are actually lying to their followers, deceiving them to lead them away from the truth, to keep them under control, to manipulate them, to take advantage of them, to keep perpetually receiving their support and their money, without regard for their followers' spiritual well-being.

The Truth I'm talking about is Reality. Reality is what it is. None of us know the full Truth. We only believe we know what are approximations of reality. We have ideas that might resemble Reality, the way things actually work, the Truth. Then we create labels, symbols, words, to represent the ideas, or group of ideas, we have regarding Reality. The word "karma" and the words "you reap what you sow" are nothing but labels, symbols that represent the ideas religions teach about an aspect of Reality, ideas that do not fully conform to what is or to true Reality. Neither karma, nor the christian equivalent of karma really exist. They are both lies, so the details of their doctrines do not really matter. My advice to everybody is: find the Truth; determine Reality for yourself, and do not rely on religions. They are lying and taking advantage of you.
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Okay, so you're talking complete nonsense. Why? Can you seriously talk about "karma" and "reap what you sow" completely ignorant to the context and in willful ignorance of your cultural heritage?

Basically you're asking us to ignore you. Seems like a curious approach.
AKA badgerjelly
BlindedWantsToSee

I'm cautioning you to ignore religious teachings which, in my personal experience and what we see in the world, are not leading people to a good life.
Namelesss

Post by Namelesss »

BlindedWantsToSee wrote: October 20th, 2017, 7:33 pmThe Universal Moral Code
There is no such thing.
The nature of the Balance of the Perfection of What Is precludes such a silly and self-justifying notion!

Absolute morality leads logically to absolute intolerance.
-Michael Shermer (The Science of Good and Evil)

"Every kind of partial and transitory disequilibrium must perforce contribute towards the great equilibrium of the whole.." - Rene' Guenon

From a religious Perspective (and a dictionary), 'morality' is judging people/stuff as 'good' or 'bad/evil'!

This is exact manifestation of the stolen Fruit of the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil (Sin of Pride/judgment) in the Garden!

As a Xtian (or any other religion), we are warned against 'judging' others;
"Judge not lest you be judged!"
Such judgment (good/evil) is the sin of 'pride'!
'Pride' is the only sin (from which all others spring), yet the hypocrites flaunt their practices, joyfully, proudly, in the face of their god!

You are told that;
"If you judge, judge with righteous judgment!"
Yet goes on to say that;
"None are righteous, no not one!"

Judgment, as the sinful morality that you suggest, is a very personal thing among the sinful who do so judge 'others'!

"Perhaps it is the curvature of space that, like a funhouse mirror distorting our own reflection, we imagine strangers." - Mythopoeicon
BlindedWantsToSee

I'm afraid you are missing the point of what this post is trying to say. This code of righteousness has nothing to do with judging others or even oneself. This modal code has nothing to do with religion either. Universal righteousness is concerned with answering questions like: what is justice, precisely? What makes an action right or wrong?

The code states what justice is. Justice is equality of rights, and in the treatment of, all living beings, without exceptions. No living being is capable of living righteously because of the nature of their bodies and minds. Conclusion is that life itself is unjust, unrighteous, wrong, and evil because the very nature of life prevents all living beings from living in a peaceful, fair, righteous way, a way that does not result in harm to any sentient being.

Return to “Ethics and Morality”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream