VHEMT: The Voluntary Human Extinction Movement

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
Post Reply
User avatar
rose_thorn18
New Trial Member
Posts: 1
Joined: January 24th, 2018, 7:11 pm

VHEMT: The Voluntary Human Extinction Movement

Post by rose_thorn18 » February 22nd, 2018, 9:22 pm

I'd like to discuss how people here feel about VHEMT: The Voluntary Human Extinction Movement. Their idea is to not breed so that eventually homo sapiens will become extinct and, in their words, prevent the "wholesale destruction of Earth’s ecology."

I see where they're coming from, intellectually, but at the same time emotionally I'm skeptical. Or at least, I believe the skepticism is emotional. How do others feel about this concept?

VHEMT Website: http://www.vhemt.org/aboutvhemt.htm#vhemt

Eduk
Posts: 1933
Joined: December 8th, 2016, 7:08 am
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Re: VHEMT: The Voluntary Human Extinction Movement

Post by Eduk » February 23rd, 2018, 2:51 pm

Humans are part of life on earth and the galaxy and the universe and not separate from you. You would need to demonstrate humans were harmful to life as a whole for voluntary extinction to make sense.
To give one example. Cockroaches have little chance of surviving a supernova but humans have a much higher chance. So at some point the cockroach would need to bank on humans.
Unknown means unknown.

User avatar
SimpleGuy
Posts: 316
Joined: September 11th, 2017, 12:28 pm

Re: VHEMT: The Voluntary Human Extinction Movement

Post by SimpleGuy » February 23rd, 2018, 5:20 pm

If the universe has an expanding rate it is simply impossible to escape thermodynamic death. We simply cool off in lack of energy. If the universe contracts, we simply end up as a space-time singularity. You should hope for a stationary state if you would like the possibility of preservation of life in some kind of technological way. Perhaps you should somehow engage in an expanding or contracting universe. At the moment we're expanding , so there is a chance for your thesis.

User avatar
LuckyR
Moderator
Posts: 3022
Joined: January 18th, 2015, 1:16 am

Re: VHEMT: The Voluntary Human Extinction Movement

Post by LuckyR » February 26th, 2018, 5:12 am

rose_thorn18 wrote:
February 22nd, 2018, 9:22 pm
I'd like to discuss how people here feel about VHEMT: The Voluntary Human Extinction Movement. Their idea is to not breed so that eventually homo sapiens will become extinct and, in their words, prevent the "wholesale destruction of Earth’s ecology."

I see where they're coming from, intellectually, but at the same time emotionally I'm skeptical. Or at least, I believe the skepticism is emotional. How do others feel about this concept?

VHEMT Website: http://www.vhemt.org/aboutvhemt.htm#vhemt
My livelihood is mostly based on the opposite of your proposition (though I can profit from you too), so let me put it this way: I'm not worried.
"As usual... it depends."

Karpel Tunnel
Posts: 453
Joined: February 16th, 2018, 11:28 am

Re: VHEMT: The Voluntary Human Extinction Movement

Post by Karpel Tunnel » February 26th, 2018, 5:38 am

The primary voluntary extinction methods seem to be chugging along rather well. I don't know how many people are consciously volunteering, most seem unable to face the choices they are making. Unfortunately most of the main methods for extinction we are choosing will take down a lot of other species with us.

User avatar
TigerNinja
Posts: 92
Joined: July 23rd, 2016, 3:59 am

Re: VHEMT: The Voluntary Human Extinction Movement

Post by TigerNinja » February 26th, 2018, 4:41 pm

First of all, who decided that the Earth was more important than us? Sorry to offend anyone that cares for the planet, I agree, but naturally, we are made to reproduce and effectively conquer the Earth. That is the root purpose for human existence, and for the existence of any animal. Naturally, we want to reproduce and have lots of children and prosper. There is nothing wrong with that, it is simply natural.
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." ~ Arthur Schopenhauer

User avatar
Count Lucanor
Posts: 363
Joined: May 6th, 2017, 5:08 pm

Re: VHEMT: The Voluntary Human Extinction Movement

Post by Count Lucanor » February 27th, 2018, 9:21 pm

The only species that can care about the fate of the Earth is the human species, so the purpose of caring for Earth is extinguished the moment humans become extinct. This movement is then ridiculous. It's the classic "throw the baby out with the bathwater".

User avatar
TigerNinja
Posts: 92
Joined: July 23rd, 2016, 3:59 am

Re: VHEMT: The Voluntary Human Extinction Movement

Post by TigerNinja » February 28th, 2018, 4:40 pm

rose_thorn18 wrote:
February 22nd, 2018, 9:22 pm
Their idea is to not breed so that eventually homo sapiens will become extinct and, in their words, prevent the "wholesale destruction of Earth’s ecology."
First of all, what methods do they employ. If they ask that you use contraception, if both partners are believers of VHEMT and it is consensual not to have a child, then that is a good method. If they simply want you to reamin celibate your life that's probably not going to happen. I am in no way comparing VHEMT to the Hitler Youth, but when they repressed sexuality, when they proceeded to have a yearly event whereby both genders come together... one year had 900 (I'm probably getting my numbers wrong, but note I'm getting the scale factors of 10 correct) pregnancies when 100,000 or so teenagers came together. Trying to get people to remain celibate in some cases, I'm not denying that. But in the modern day with Western culture, I doubt someone born into late 20th century-21st century in the West is going to remain celibate (I am referring to the West and England and America, since America makes movies and most [good] TV shows, and I live in England. I know culture there but in Europe I'm not as knowledgeable).
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." ~ Arthur Schopenhauer

User avatar
LuckyR
Moderator
Posts: 3022
Joined: January 18th, 2015, 1:16 am

Re: VHEMT: The Voluntary Human Extinction Movement

Post by LuckyR » March 1st, 2018, 5:59 pm

TigerNinja wrote:
February 28th, 2018, 4:40 pm
rose_thorn18 wrote:
February 22nd, 2018, 9:22 pm
Their idea is to not breed so that eventually homo sapiens will become extinct and, in their words, prevent the "wholesale destruction of Earth’s ecology."
First of all, what methods do they employ. If they ask that you use contraception, if both partners are believers of VHEMT and it is consensual not to have a child, then that is a good method. If they simply want you to reamin celibate your life that's probably not going to happen. I am in no way comparing VHEMT to the Hitler Youth, but when they repressed sexuality, when they proceeded to have a yearly event whereby both genders come together... one year had 900 (I'm probably getting my numbers wrong, but note I'm getting the scale factors of 10 correct) pregnancies when 100,000 or so teenagers came together. Trying to get people to remain celibate in some cases, I'm not denying that. But in the modern day with Western culture, I doubt someone born into late 20th century-21st century in the West is going to remain celibate (I am referring to the West and England and America, since America makes movies and most [good] TV shows, and I live in England. I know culture there but in Europe I'm not as knowledgeable).
The best contraception is female education. For example, Japan already has a known shrinkage rate. It's population is likely to shrink by a third in the next 80 years (and this includes immigration). For native Japanese it is an even sharper decline
"As usual... it depends."

User avatar
SimpleGuy
Posts: 316
Joined: September 11th, 2017, 12:28 pm

Re: VHEMT: The Voluntary Human Extinction Movement

Post by SimpleGuy » March 3rd, 2018, 11:04 am

I think this goal could be achieved by just accepting anal intercourse for heterosexual and homosexual encounters, such that breeding is avoided.

User avatar
LuckyR
Moderator
Posts: 3022
Joined: January 18th, 2015, 1:16 am

Re: VHEMT: The Voluntary Human Extinction Movement

Post by LuckyR » March 3rd, 2018, 11:53 pm

SimpleGuy wrote:
March 3rd, 2018, 11:04 am
I think this goal could be achieved by just accepting anal intercourse for heterosexual and homosexual encounters, such that breeding is avoided.
You are aware that there is a thing called: "contraception", right?
"As usual... it depends."

Post Reply