Survey-style question about whether or not to believe victims of rape and sexual assault

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
tim-qij
New Trial Member

Survey-style question about whether or not to believe victims of rape and sexual assault

Post by tim-qij » February 26th, 2018, 9:48 am

I would be very grateful for as many replies to this survey-style question as possible. When replying, if you are happy to do so, please can you specify your gender.

If the cost of all women being 100% believed if they report to the police that they have been raped or sexually assaulted is that a small number of completely innocent, wrongly accused men end up in jail for a long time or having their lives otherwise ruined, is this a cost worth paying?

What if the genders in the above question are reversed or otherwise changed? Does it matter what the genders are?

Thank you very much to anyone who replies.

Greta
Site Admin

Re: Survey-style question about whether or not to believe victims of rape and sexual assault

Post by Greta » February 26th, 2018, 5:58 pm

Of course not. Justice must be pursued.

Namelesss

Re: Survey-style question about whether or not to believe victims of rape and sexual assault

Post by Namelesss » March 1st, 2018, 10:56 pm

tim-qij wrote:
February 26th, 2018, 9:48 am
I would be very grateful for as many replies to this survey-style question as possible. When replying, if you are happy to do so, please can you specify your gender.

If the cost of all women being 100% believed if they report to the police that they have been raped or sexually assaulted is that a small number of completely innocent, wrongly accused men end up in jail for a long time or having their lives otherwise ruined, is this a cost worth paying?

What if the genders in the above question are reversed or otherwise changed? Does it matter what the genders are?

Thank you very much to anyone who replies.
I do not 'believe' anything!
Show me the evidence and I'll make my own tentative theories.
I understand the power of a woman's lies!

QuarterMaster69
New Trial Member

Post by QuarterMaster69 » March 7th, 2018, 11:02 am

The real cost of believing 100% that a woman has been raped and having their rapist sent to jail is allowing the same 100% belief for men too! If you believe women 100% then you must believe men 100% too and throw women in jail for raping men.

LuckyR

Post by LuckyR » March 8th, 2018, 1:14 am

This thread suffers in the OP in that it equates belief with Judicial proof. It is perfectly reasonable to state that "I believe women who say that they have been raped" but still prefer to adjudicate guilt and innocence in a court of law.
"As usual... it depends."

mattfara50

Post by mattfara50 » April 29th, 2018, 4:47 pm

Male

The cost is not worth paying. I'd even challenge the assumption that only a small number of innocent men would be imprisoned as a result of such a legal precedent. That's too much power. Many women would be corrupted by it, and thus many men's lives would be ruined because of it.