The drive towards a blissful afterlife

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
soucelyzac
New Trial Member

The drive towards a blissful afterlife

Post by soucelyzac »

Evaluative hedonism is the perpetual "quest" for pleasure. It is the belief that our "core" sources of motivation are seeking pleasure and avoiding pain. With that in mind, is it sound philosophically to say that people seeking eteral bliss and avoiding eternal torment could be consired meta-hedonists?
Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Re: The drive towards a blissful afterlife

Post by Eduk »

I think hedonism refers to a particular kind of pleasure. Counter intuitively it often refers to self destructive pleasures, which shouldn't really count. That at least seems to be the modern usage, I suspect classically it might have meant something else?
Unknown means unknown.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

soucelyzac wrote: April 27th, 2018, 10:37 am Evaluative hedonism is the perpetual "quest" for pleasure. It is the belief that our "core" sources of motivation are seeking pleasure and avoiding pain. With that in mind, is it sound philosophically to say that people seeking eteral bliss and avoiding eternal torment could be consired meta-hedonists?
Basically you are trying to equate gratification and delayed gratification. They’re commonly felt to be opposite ends of the same spectrum.
"As usual... it depends."
soucelyzac
New Trial Member

Post by soucelyzac »

LuckyR wrote: April 28th, 2018, 2:34 am
soucelyzac wrote: April 27th, 2018, 10:37 am Evaluative hedonism is the perpetual "quest" for pleasure. It is the belief that our "core" sources of motivation are seeking pleasure and avoiding pain. With that in mind, is it sound philosophically to say that people seeking eteral bliss and avoiding eternal torment could be consired meta-hedonists?
Basically you are trying to equate gratification and delayed gratification. They’re commonly felt to be opposite ends of the same spectrum.
Even if it isn't instant gratification, it shouldn't matter, since I specified evaluative/ethical hedonism. Evaluative hedonism differ from "classical" hedonism by this exact criteria: maximum overall pleasure.

Therefore, in this context, it is logical to postulate that an individual maximizing pleasure by "going" to heaven and avoiding hell is in fact an evaluative hedonism.

Evaluative hedonism:"At its simplest, ethical hedonism is the claim that all and only pleasure has positive importance and all and only pain or displeasure has negative importance. This importance is to be understood non-instrumentally, that is, independently of the importance of anything that pleasure or displeasure might cause or prevent. From ethical hedonism, it follows that if our relationships, achievements, knowledge, character states, and so on, have any non-instrumental importance, this is just a matter of any pleasure or displeasure that is in their natures. Otherwise, they have only instrumental importance through the pleasure they cause or displeasure they diminish. At least from the simple forms of ethical hedonism, it also follows that pleasure is good whenever it is had, even in matters that are themselves worthless or worse." (https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/hedonism/)
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

soucelyzac wrote: May 4th, 2018, 4:34 pm
LuckyR wrote: April 28th, 2018, 2:34 am

Even if it isn't instant gratification, it shouldn't matter, since I specified evaluative/ethical hedonism. Evaluative hedonism differ from "classical" hedonism by this exact criteria: maximum overall pleasure.

Therefore, in this context, it is logical to postulate that an individual maximizing pleasure by "going" to heaven and avoiding hell is in fact an evaluative hedonism.

Evaluative hedonism:"At its simplest, ethical hedonism is the claim that all and only pleasure has positive importance and all and only pain or displeasure has negative importance. This importance is to be understood non-instrumentally, that is, independently of the importance of anything that pleasure or displeasure might cause or prevent. From ethical hedonism, it follows that if our relationships, achievements, knowledge, character states, and so on, have any non-instrumental importance, this is just a matter of any pleasure or displeasure that is in their natures. Otherwise, they have only instrumental importance through the pleasure they cause or displeasure they diminish. At least from the simple forms of ethical hedonism, it also follows that pleasure is good whenever it is had, even in matters that are themselves worthless or worse." (https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/hedonism/)
No, it totally matters.

For example, if A seeks whichever choice gives him instant pleasure, he will have a lot of cheap thrills. Of course he will pay the price down the line when painful bad things happen to him, but in the bubble he lives in, he could conclude that these "consequences" of his actions happened TO him (from the Universe) they aren't his "choice", yet any outside observer would note that they are, in fact the result of his shortsighted choices and thus his pleasurable choices were also choices for longer range pain (thus breaking his Hedonistic goal). Therefore since every choice has pros and cons, pleasure and pain, the classic Hedonist definition is illogical.

While B plans for delayed gratification, let's say eternal pleasure in Heaven. So he makes painful choices here on earth. By your equating A and B's styles, he could be a Hedonist too. But by that logic everyone is a Hedonist, since as mentioned every choice has good and bad, ie there is no risk-free path. The whole system of categorization breaks down.
soucelyzac
New Trial Member

Post by soucelyzac »

I think you misunderstood my point, I stated that it didn't matter since, in the OP, it is specified that I'm talking about evaluative hedonism. I don't understand why you think I'm conflating instant and delayed gratification. Nothing in my original post implies this...

I literally included a definition of what I meant by evaluative hedonism, but you do not seem to be adressing my argument.

If an individual acts according to the prescriptions of his faith solely for the reward, is he an evaluative hedonist?
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

soucelyzac wrote: June 14th, 2018, 12:41 pm I think you misunderstood my point, I stated that it didn't matter since, in the OP, it is specified that I'm talking about evaluative hedonism. I don't understand why you think I'm conflating instant and delayed gratification. Nothing in my original post implies this...

I literally included a definition of what I meant by evaluative hedonism, but you do not seem to be adressing my argument.

If an individual acts according to the prescriptions of his faith solely for the reward, is he an evaluative hedonist?
A typical hedonist is the definition of instant gratification. A pious churchgoer who is banking on eternal bliss in the afterlife is the textbook example of delayed gratification.
Alias
Favorite Philosopher: Terry Pratchett

Post by Alias »

Perhaps you should define "evaluative hedonism". The problem is, all three have some merit, and you can't just use one as an example of the basic drives of living organisms and set that one against the Christian notion of heaven.
The three basic types of philosophical hedonism are psychological hedonism, which holds that the tendency to seek pleasure and avoid pain is an essential attribute of human nature; evaluative or ethical hedonism, which sets up certain ethical or moral ends as desirable because attaining them will result in happiness; and reflective, or normative hedonism, which seeks to define value in terms of pleasure.http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Hedonism
So, you would have to differentiate personal happiness (which can be very much more complex than mere pleasure) and attainable goals or the common good (which are even more complicated), from simple physical sensation. Then, for a reasonable comparison with the quest for eternal life, you would have to be clear on what kind of heaven and hell is being considered and what the qualifications - and costs - are for attaining them.
But, of course, such a comparison is moot anyway, since all hedonism is predicated on a materialist interpretation of the world: the assumption that there is no afterlife to which one can defer gratification, so there can be no meta-hedonism.

The idea of heaven was nothing more than a booby-prize for letting kings and bishops walk all over you.
ThomasHobbes

Post by ThomasHobbes »

LuckyR wrote: June 15th, 2018, 1:54 am A pious churchgoer who is banking on eternal bliss in the afterlife is the textbook example of delayed gratification.
Textbook definition of self delusion.
Karpel Tunnel

Post by Karpel Tunnel »

If they frame their beliefs in that way, meaning they tend to divide reality that way, then perhaps. I don't think most theists frame in only or mainly in these terms.
And hey, if any of us thought those were the options, even if we were not hedonists, we'd probably seek and avoid the same way.
Karpel Tunnel

Post by Karpel Tunnel »

In the brain we have a couple of quite different systems that create goals. There is the dopamine, pleasure system - which gets wrapped up in addictions and direct pleasures and the serotonin contentment system which is not addictive and not the kinds of rush pleasure generally associated with hedonism. Peace, deep connection, closeness, intimacy, relaxation, meaningfulness and so on. Also a sense of doing what one is meant to do, to be in flow.

We could lump this all under hedonism, but people who are guided by the serotonin system do not end up in addiction problems, tend to act according to aesthetic, social and ethical priorities and have no really to have health problems related to their goals, at least not per se.

I see heaven often described in something much closer to the serotonin model than the dopamine.

If you are promising 40 virgins and the like, it's a different story.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

ThomasHobbes wrote: June 19th, 2018, 3:56 pm
LuckyR wrote: June 15th, 2018, 1:54 am A pious churchgoer who is banking on eternal bliss in the afterlife is the textbook example of delayed gratification.
Textbook definition of self delusion.
Or to use my wording: delayed to the point of the infinite.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Karpel Tunnel wrote: June 19th, 2018, 6:04 pm In the brain we have a couple of quite different systems that create goals. There is the dopamine, pleasure system - which gets wrapped up in addictions and direct pleasures and the serotonin contentment system which is not addictive and not the kinds of rush pleasure generally associated with hedonism. Peace, deep connection, closeness, intimacy, relaxation, meaningfulness and so on. Also a sense of doing what one is meant to do, to be in flow.

We could lump this all under hedonism, but people who are guided by the serotonin system do not end up in addiction problems, tend to act according to aesthetic, social and ethical priorities and have no really to have health problems related to their goals, at least not per se.

I see heaven often described in something much closer to the serotonin model than the dopamine.

If you are promising 40 virgins and the like, it's a different story.
Serotonin and Dopamine systems may differ only in the aspect that you can state a dopamine high at will, but you can't state a serotonin high at will. Not in a short-term basis, anyway.

You get addicted to dopamine highs because you have an ability to make it happen by many ways: natural and artificial ways. You can't do the same with serotonin highs.

This is a difference in the mechanism of creation and application of the two drugs in and by the human system; there may be other mechanisms as well.
This search engine is powered by Hunger, Thirst, and a desperate need to Mate.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Eduk wrote: April 27th, 2018, 3:27 pm I think hedonism refers to a particular kind of pleasure. Counter intuitively it often refers to self destructive pleasures, which shouldn't really count. That at least seems to be the modern usage, I suspect classically it might have meant something else?
most, if not all, self-destructive pleasures are that only because we have the means to enjoy them to excesses.

In historical terms (not necessarily in classical terms) hedonistic pleasures were very much life-sustaining and species-sustaining pleasures.
This search engine is powered by Hunger, Thirst, and a desperate need to Mate.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

soucelyzac wrote: April 27th, 2018, 10:37 am Evaluative hedonism is the perpetual "quest" for pleasure. It is the belief that our "core" sources of motivation are seeking pleasure and avoiding pain. With that in mind, is it sound philosophically to say that people seeking eternal bliss and avoiding eternal torment could be considered meta-hedonists?
I would be inclined to call it regular hedonism as conceived by ancients like Epicurus. In brief, hedonism is basically "playing the long game", eschewing short term gains for better overall gains. I don't know of anything in Epicurean hedonism that limits one's endeavours to one lifespan in preferring longer term gains to the sating of short-term urges. It's just very long term strategising :)

Return to “Ethics and Morality”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream