If there is no God, murder isn't wrong?

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
Gertie

Re: If there is no God, murder isn't wrong?

Post by Gertie »

Spiral
How can we determine whether objective morality really exists?

I will use the basketball analogy.

[....snip...]

The game of basketball may never be perfectly entertaining. But there is some set of objective basketball rules that would represent the best rules even if we mortals can never know exactly what those rules are."
Uwotm8? Shoulda gone for netball, I know those rules ;)

I get the gist tho. I agree with the point that there's in principle some best (or at least better and worse) set of rules, but only once you have set your goal.

Here you assume the goal for basketball is to be Entertaining (we don't worry about that malarkey in netball!), I was trying to suggest we don't need God in order to have a goal for Oughts. We can say 'maximising the well-being of conscious creatures' is the grounding for Oughts, and I gave my reasons why. Regardless of whether we call it Objective Morality or not. So in your analogy, 'the well'being of conscious creatures' is the equivalent of Entertaining, yeah?

How we go about achieving that goal, well then it gets complicated. Because I might value some things more than you.

But there are basic needs and desires we mostly share, and we could design rules to try to ensure we all get them. (Food, shelter, freedom of speech, a healthy environment, healthcare, education, protection against murder, violence, theft, cheaters, or whatever). And practical rules like everybody driving on the same side of the road. Then there will be some things we want, which mean sacrificing other things we want - like paying taxes to live in a society which looks after our basic needs when required. Or equal rights for women might help me, but I'd lose a bit of privilege under equal rights for all races. But by referring back to the goal of maximising everyone's well-being, I'd say yeah, fair enough we should all have a fair chance in life if we want to maximise well-being, that's a good rule.

Other stuff might not be legislated by rules, but there are less formal mechanisms, like social mores and manners, being a good neighbour, a good citizen. Then there's the influence of parents and schools, and the more subtle influence of our cultural archetypes and stories - religion, myths, fairytales, books, tv and so on.

So yes I agree, there are lots of ways to design basketball and morality codes, but first you have to know your goal and be able to justify it so that it's a goal we share - effectively treat it as objectively true that we should maximise the well-being of conscious creatures. For religions which say God is the Perfect Source of morality and the Perfect Law Giver, that means God's definition of Good is objectively perfect, true. Not like my opinion or yours. it's the perfect unquestionable truth. Likewise his rules.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Eduk wrote: May 3rd, 2018, 2:46 am Lucky something is not moral because it is the majority expressed opinion?
No. Something is not ethical because it is the majority expressed opinion. Sorry for the confusion.
"As usual... it depends."
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

CIN wrote: May 3rd, 2018, 3:12 am Eduk, you took the words out of my mouth.

LuckyR, your comment on my post implies such a horrific attitude to morality and freedom of thought that I feel you must be living in some dreadful dictatorship somewhere. I hope I am wrong. If murder is wrong, it is wrong because of what it is, not because everyone around you thinks it is wrong. To believe that is to be living in the Dark Ages.
Again, as I already posted I was addressing ethics, not morality (obviously, but to say it out loud). To be plain, individuals are of course free to think their own thoughts, though as members of their communities they are de facto subject to community opinions. Naturally, they are free to feel that their crimes are morally OK, as they pay for their breach of ethical standards.
Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Post by Eduk »

I always thought ethics and morals were the same thing, I certainly use the words interchangeably. After a quick google it seems they can mean different things (say in some precise legal case, like workplace ethics) but are usually used interchangeably. I wasn't at all clear on your intended meaning, but it's nice to learn something.
Unknown means unknown.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Eduk wrote: May 3rd, 2018, 11:48 am I always thought ethics and morals were the same thing, I certainly use the words interchangeably. After a quick google it seems they can mean different things (say in some precise legal case, like workplace ethics) but are usually used interchangeably. I wasn't at all clear on your intended meaning, but it's nice to learn something.
You are, of course accurate that in common conversation they are used interchangeably, though here many try to clarify as much as possible, given the limitations of the medium.
CIN

Post by CIN »

LuckyR wrote: May 3rd, 2018, 11:38 am
CIN wrote: May 3rd, 2018, 3:12 am Eduk, you took the words out of my mouth.

LuckyR, your comment on my post implies such a horrific attitude to morality and freedom of thought that I feel you must be living in some dreadful dictatorship somewhere. I hope I am wrong. If murder is wrong, it is wrong because of what it is, not because everyone around you thinks it is wrong. To believe that is to be living in the Dark Ages.
Again, as I already posted I was addressing ethics, not morality (obviously, but to say it out loud). To be plain, individuals are of course free to think their own thoughts, though as members of their communities they are de facto subject to community opinions. Naturally, they are free to feel that their crimes are morally OK, as they pay for their breach of ethical standards.
No, I do not understand this. But then, I did not understand (or, if I did understand it, I disagreed with it) your earlier assertion that 'If a god decrees that murder is wrong, then murder is empirically wrong... for believers of that religion. OTOH, if you don't believe in god, murder is still wrong. Just not empirically wrong, rather wrong by consensus (of the community that the individual belongs to).' As for your conclusion that 'Bottom line, murder is wrong for every modern human,' I took this to be a statement of your own moral view. I still don't see any other way to take it.

I am forced to infer that your way of expressing yourself on these issues is opaque to me. Mea culpa, possibly. But that doesn't help.
Spiral

Post by Spiral »

CIN wrote: May 3rd, 2018, 7:31 pm OTOH, if you don't believe in god, murder is still wrong. Just not empirically wrong, rather wrong by consensus (of the community that the individual belongs to).'
But this isn't the only option for a non-believer in God, right? I can picture someone concluding that murder is wrong even as a community believes otherwise.

This gets to the question: Is an individual human being capable of making murder wrong simply by asserting that murder is wrong? Is God capable or making murder wrong simply by asserting that murder is wrong?

Imagine God saying, "Murder is wrong!"

For one, since murder is usually defined as wrongful killing, saying murder is wrong is similar to saying wrongful killing is wrong. Well, of course wrongful killing is wrong. But that begs the question of which killings are wrong and which killings are to be tolerated.

Also, imagine someone responding to God's, "Murder is Wrong!" statement with, "I disagree." How do we resolve the disagreement? Must we conclude that God is always correct? Why or why not?
Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Post by Eduk »

I think the problem is that the claim that 'that is just your opinion' is thought of as being so unreasonable that it must immediately be fixed. It's the equivalent of saying there is a hole in your roof and it's raining. Whereas in reality it is the equivalent of saying your roof may need remedial work in the next ten to twenty years depending.
Spiral the option that is being missed off is the option that you are an ethical agent capable of making ethical judgement.
Unknown means unknown.
CIN

Post by CIN »

Spiral wrote: May 4th, 2018, 5:06 am Also, imagine someone responding to God's, "Murder is Wrong!" statement with, "I disagree." How do we resolve the disagreement? Must we conclude that God is always correct? Why or why not?
Yes, God is always correct. He is omniscient, which means he knows the truth about everything and the answer to every question. And he is perfectly good, which means that he would not mislead us on such an important issue. So the way to find out if murder is wrong is to ask God. And in fact he already answered the question by telling us 'Thou shalt not kill.'

All of which is unhelpful if he doesn't exist.
Philosophy is a waste of time. But then, so is most of life.
CIN

Post by CIN »

Spiral wrote: April 29th, 2018, 6:16 pm What if God endorsed murder? Would that automatically make murder right instead of wrong?
I think it would make God indistinguishable from the Devil.
Thinking critical
Favorite Philosopher: A.C Grayling

Post by Thinking critical »

Gods and devils are not necessary to the dichotomy of what is right or wrong, they are simply ontological projections of individuals own ideologies. When one wants to assert a higher ground such as "murder is wrong" the idea of a god becomes a useful tool to communities which all share a common belief in gods.
Why would one even need gods to decide what is right or wrong when humans are quite capable of deciding themselves? Furthermore people still do acts even though they themselves believe it is wrong. So we could just as easily ask would people still murder, if they believed in heaven or hell? The answer of course is "yes", demonstrating even in the presence of god based philosophies/ideaologies, acts which the believer asserts is objectively wrong are still carried out.
The difference between a religious approach and humane approach to morality gives us a clue as to which is the more reasonable; religion defines morality as objectively true under the dictatorship of god who uses punishment and reward, furthermore there is very little if any accountability of the origin of such morals - where did they come from, how were they communicated and do we know if the answer to those 2 questions is true?
The humane approach is much more complicated but is also more relevant in the sense it evolves as our species gains wisdom. Essentially most humans to a certain degree concur that pain, suffering and the act of intentionally killing someone who does not want to be killed is wrong. It is this common ground which we can build from which will inevitably demonstrate humane morality is far more superior than a gods.
Something is wrong because we feel and believe it's wrong, not because we're told its wrong.

Simply put, humans invent gods then decide what the god they invented commands to be right or wrong, then they argue that we can't know what is right or wrong without the God which they invented.
The argument makes no sense, if you delete the gods the morals are still there and nothing else changes.
This cocky little cognitive contortionist will straighten you right out
Spiral

Post by Spiral »

CIN wrote: May 4th, 2018, 8:47 am
Spiral wrote: May 4th, 2018, 5:06 am Also, imagine someone responding to God's, "Murder is Wrong!" statement with, "I disagree." How do we resolve the disagreement? Must we conclude that God is always correct? Why or why not?
Yes, God is always correct. He is omniscient, which means he knows the truth about everything and the answer to every question. And he is perfectly good, which means that he would not mislead us on such an important issue. So the way to find out if murder is wrong is to ask God. And in fact he already answered the question by telling us 'Thou shalt not kill.'

All of which is unhelpful if he doesn't exist.
In the Bible God commands that a man who gathered wood on the Sabbath be killed (stoned to death). Also, God commanded the Israelites to kill entire populations of human beings, including women and children.

So, if God is always correct, does this mean that killing is simultaneously right and wrong?

Or does God command that some killing is to be tolerated or even celebrated in some cases, while killing in other circumstances God commands that we not kill? Does God subscribe to situational ethics?
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

CIN wrote: May 3rd, 2018, 7:31 pm
LuckyR wrote: May 3rd, 2018, 11:38 am

No, I do not understand this. But then, I did not understand (or, if I did understand it, I disagreed with it) your earlier assertion that 'If a god decrees that murder is wrong, then murder is empirically wrong... for believers of that religion. OTOH, if you don't believe in god, murder is still wrong. Just not empirically wrong, rather wrong by consensus (of the community that the individual belongs to).' As for your conclusion that 'Bottom line, murder is wrong for every modern human,' I took this to be a statement of your own moral view. I still don't see any other way to take it.

I am forced to infer that your way of expressing yourself on these issues is opaque to me. Mea culpa, possibly. But that doesn't help.
I believe you understood me just fine and you disagree with my conclusion (which of course is fine). One problem this thread has is the too blunt and inaccurate wording used (such as "wrong").

I am basically pointing out that since there are many perspectives: a god's (as leader of a religion), an individual's (the one you seem to feel is paramount) and the community's (which is the most practical, but commonly the most ignored in Philosophical circles).

While your green statement is my moral view, that was not my point rather that since we are all both individuals and members of communities (and some are also members of religions), regardless of our personal morality, we are all subject to community ethical standards and since basically all Modern communities have decreed that murder is "wrong", that everyone is at least subject to that ethical standard, regardless if their personal morality has decided that murder is wrong or not wrong.
CIN

Post by CIN »

Spiral wrote: May 4th, 2018, 4:53 pm
Or does God command that some killing is to be tolerated or even celebrated in some cases, while killing in other circumstances God commands that we not kill? Does God subscribe to situational ethics?
It looks that way to me.
CIN

Post by CIN »

LuckyR wrote: May 4th, 2018, 6:29 pm
While your green statement is my moral view, that was not my point rather that since we are all both individuals and members of communities (and some are also members of religions), regardless of our personal morality, we are all subject to community ethical standards and since basically all Modern communities have decreed that murder is "wrong", that everyone is at least subject to that ethical standard, regardless if their personal morality has decided that murder is wrong or not wrong.
It sounds to me as if you are simply saying that everyone in modern society is subjected to peer pressure to consider murder wrong. Well, of course that would depend on your definition of 'murder'. Is meat murder? I'm a vegetarian, so I tend to think it is; but if so, then there is little such pressure against this kind of murder in most modern societies, because most people in modern societies condone and collaborate with this particular kind of murder. Is abortion murder? I tend to think it is if the foetus has developed far enough to become conscious, but not if it hasn't, but some people think all abortion is murder. And so on. Murder to one person is not necessarily murder to another, and I think the whole issue is too complex to allow us to simply say, as you did, that murder is wrong for every modern human.

Return to “Ethics and Morality”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream