Is Suicide Immoral?

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Re: Is Suicide Immoral?

Post by Sy Borg »

I understand that some Americans are up in arms about California's recent legislation requiring all new homes to be fitted with solar panels. There was a great deal of talk about lack of freedom.

One would hope that all of those protesting about loss of personal freedom would agree to a person's right suicide, since interfering there would seem the deepest intrusion of all. Certainly more so than being forced to build with solar panels :)
ThomasHobbes

Post by ThomasHobbes »

NasloxiehRorsxez wrote: May 9th, 2018, 11:04 pm
ThomasHobbes wrote: May 9th, 2018, 6:25 pm

People die all the time. Friends get sad, then they get over it.

If you don't commit suicide then you are going to die some other way. Your friends and family are going to suffer at some point so why should they not celebrate your choice? If they understood you as they should then they should respect that decision.
You can't stay alive forever and your response seems to ignore that basic truth.
hm, well I think you could argue that in the case of suicide as opposed to other ways of dying. There's a sense of possibility that whatever mental issues or mindset of the suicidal individual could have changed, and was preventable.

I don't really think it's the same with terminal illness, accidents, murder, etc.
But you have argued your case against suicide on the basis of the family suffering. Since you agree that that suffering is inevitable and unavoidable what is NOW your argument?
Since the suffering is going to happen at some point why not get it out of the way?
Death is not ultimately preventable.
It seems to me that your argument (such as it remains) would put unnecessary guilt upon the 'suicider' to forebear on the relief of his own suffering, and also condemn the family to continue to suffer the problems of the 'suicider'.

Suicide is not the same as "terminal illness, accidents, murder, etc.", but neither are they the same as each other. But when it comes to the loss of a relative/friend I do not see suicide as necessarily anything more suffer inducing that any of the others.
For example a person murdered can make the family suffer for generations. In this case at least suicide is less painful, being a conscious decision. Terminal illness which is possibly the most likely outcome of NOT suiciding, make the family suffer more, than suicide not less.
So I fail to see what your objection is.
ThomasHobbes

Post by ThomasHobbes »

Karpel Tunnel wrote: May 9th, 2018, 11:28 pm So I dislike the idea that suicide is selfish from 2 angles: 1) it would be selfish to expect someone to continue living for me if they hated life. 2) sometimes it ain't worth it.

I agree wholly with this.
What is undeniably immoral is that a state make a law to prevent a person taking their own life. Whose life is it? Is it not immoral for the state to own a person?
Alias
Favorite Philosopher: Terry Pratchett

Post by Alias »

NasloxiehRorsxez wrote: May 9th, 2018, 11:21 pm I absolutely agree regarding terminal illness situations and long lasting diseases. Both have in common a low probability of survival and no cure.
And yet, legislatures and the legal apparatus are entitled to make the decision over the value and quality of individual lives.
But what about mental illness, mental issues, or something entirely? While there are no cures for some of them, there are treatments that could make life worth living to the sufferer, maybe even a change in attitude or mindset. So in these scenario's, what makes suicide justified?
A crappy health-care system that doesn't take care of poor people?
But then, supposing the individual did get treatment and medication which, in the judgment of the attending physician was sufficient improvement - but the patient disagrees? Which of them is better qualified to know what "life worth living" means?
What about the old couple who spent all their savings on medical treatments, went into debt and lost their house? Faced with a few last years, ill, destitute and homeless, they opted for a couple of hours dozing together in their car. I don't blame them.
Does suicide even require justification for it to not be immoral?
What morality?
My personal decisions, according to my morality, are measured against the promises I've made.
To fulfill my obligations, I'll make sure the cats are taken care of and I won't choose a messy death for someone else to clean up.
When I decide it's time to end my life, I will consult nobody, ask nobody's permission, apologize to nobody.
Alias

Post by Alias »

These matters - end-of life care, refusal of treatment, termination, body disposal, property allocation, etc. - should all be discussed with family members long before there is a crisis requiring urgent decisions. We had such discussions with my mother when she had all her faculties, so when the brain tumour made her speech incomprehensible, we knew exactly how she wanted us to proceed.
Those who can induce you to believe absurdities can induce you to commit atrocities. - Voltaire
ThomasHobbes

Post by ThomasHobbes »

Alias wrote: May 10th, 2018, 12:17 pm These matters - end-of life care, refusal of treatment, termination, body disposal, property allocation, etc. - should all be discussed with family members long before there is a crisis requiring urgent decisions. We had such discussions with my mother when she had all her faculties, so when the brain tumour made her speech incomprehensible, we knew exactly how she wanted us to proceed.
So, is suicide immoral?
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

In some cases, suicide is FAR more moral than the alternative. Consider Dr Goodall's last moments at the Swiss clinic yesterday:
Australia’s oldest scientist has voluntarily ended his 104-year life after travelling to one of the few clinics in the world legally authorised to facilitate assisted deaths.

David Goodall passed away on Thursday night at the luxury Eternal Spirit clinic in Basel, Switzerland via voluntary euthanasia, after celebrating his life with family and friends in a “big party”.

Philip Nitschke, founder of right-to-die group Exit International, said Dr Goodall showed humour and a twinge of impatience in his final moments as formalities were tended to.

“During the paperwork, he said ‘what are we waiting for?’ Dr Nitschke told AAP.

And after a life spanning more than a century, Dr Goodall’s resolve and humour shone through to the last.

“His final words were ‘this is taking a long time’,” Dr Nitschke said, adding Dr Goodall’s death was peaceful.

“At my age, or less than my age, one wants to be free to choose death when the death is at an appropriate time,” Dr Goodall told reporters hours before he died.
Imagine if more people could die with such humanity and dignity - with a final party with family and friends to celebrate their love and then painlessly gone. Compare with the utter agony that is sometimes forced on helpless dying people. The ethics could not be more clear.
Alias

Post by Alias »

ThomasHobbes wrote: May 10th, 2018, 4:59 pm So, is suicide immoral?
Yes, if you take your morals from Job's god.
No, if you're a rational, autonomous human being.
ThomasHobbes

Post by ThomasHobbes »

Alias wrote: May 10th, 2018, 5:52 pm
ThomasHobbes wrote: May 10th, 2018, 4:59 pm So, is suicide immoral?
Having gone through very nasty cancer treatment this question was more than academic to myself.
I resented and continue to resent the government's stance on euthanasia.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

ThomasHobbes wrote: May 10th, 2018, 6:07 pm
Alias wrote: May 10th, 2018, 5:52 pm
Having gone through very nasty cancer treatment this question was more than academic to myself.
What it does is add a huge amount of stress to the situation, with patients afraid to wait too long to kill themselves lest they lose any opportunity and be forced into months or years of pointless agony - seemingly just to keep Christians happy!

Imagine if the law was extended the to dogs, so owners would not be able to put dying dogs down but send them to a dog hospital (at massive expense) and kept incapacitated and in agony for the remainder of their lives.

Maybe if more people actually graphically see or experience the problem they might wake up?
Alias

Post by Alias »

Greta wrote: May 10th, 2018, 6:23 pm Maybe if more people actually graphically see or experience the problem they might wake up?
That's certainly a good point to consider.*
There is far too much "niceness" around illness - especially terminal illness. The patient puts on a brave face for visitors; the family pretends everything will be all right; everybody forces smiles; nobody mentions the pain or the ickyness or the humiliation; there is a conspiracy to keep up appearances. That's just the demand of good manners and I don't know that the situation would be improved by too much openness.
But mortality needs to be faced.
I find, medical staff are far more willing to be frank and realistic these days. When I asked my oncologist, before the course of radiation began, "Will there be enough left to make this worthwhile?", she said "Some of my patients have regretted going through it. I can't guarantee a good outcome, but the majority have done well on this treatment." (I'm in the majority.)
At that time, they were not allowed to discuss assisted suicide, but they laid out all the options, outlined the pros and cons, explained what would happen and what to expect; were honest about the odds when they made their recommendations. Now they can go the extra step and talk about the alternative.

(*Only, please, let's not make an example of dogs!!)
Those who can induce you to believe absurdities can induce you to commit atrocities. - Voltaire
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Glad the treatment worked, Alias! I agree that the dog scenario would be as cruel an imposition on innocents as the current legal situation is for dying humans.

Yes, we are very insulated from death, which is why it seems so alien and shocking when we experience it. People often report that the experience felt like being in a movie (because that's as close as the lucky have been to death). It's wonderful that we have been able to insulate ourselves in this manner, but the downside is a lack of appreciation and empathy for the dying, which is ultimately what this thread is about.

As for regular suicide, I would describe it more often as a gross strategic error due to impaired judgement than immoral. Many young people terminate themselves due to inexperience, having never known the feeling of seeing life turn around when all seems hopeless (and vice versa). It's the inherently temporal nature of life that should serve as a source of hope for those in terrible situations while ideally having a sobering effect on those doing well, knowing how quickly and unexpectedly life can change.
Alias

Post by Alias »

A strong emotional and practical support structure would alleviate a good deal of that problem.
If hell is other people, so is haven. We need to get re-connected to one another - to pay real attention.
ThomasHobbes

Post by ThomasHobbes »

Greta wrote: May 10th, 2018, 6:23 pm
ThomasHobbes wrote: May 10th, 2018, 6:07 pm
What it does is add a huge amount of stress to the situation, with patients afraid to wait too long to kill themselves lest they lose any opportunity and be forced into months or years of pointless agony - seemingly just to keep Christians happy!

Imagine if the law was extended the to dogs, so owners would not be able to put dying dogs down but send them to a dog hospital (at massive expense) and kept incapacitated and in agony for the remainder of their lives.

Maybe if more people actually graphically see or experience the problem they might wake up?
I was always intellectually in favour of euthanasia for as long as I can remember, and thought it rather odd that anyone would support a government that held the power of life and death over its subjects.
It seems to me that the reason people support the laughingly called 'pro-life' is that they are, as in many other instances, in denial about the inevitability of death.
Fear of death is a big motivator.
ThomasHobbes

Post by ThomasHobbes »

Alias wrote: May 10th, 2018, 11:19 pm A strong emotional and practical support structure would alleviate a good deal of that problem.
If hell is other people, so is haven. We need to get re-connected to one another - to pay real attention.
I assume you mean heaven in this statement.
"Support" and paying attention ought to mean respecting the wish of others to be able to end their lives.

Return to “Ethics and Morality”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream