An objection to the Golden Rule

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
mattfara50

An objection to the Golden Rule

Post by mattfara50 »

"Do as you would be done by," the concise rephrasing of "Do unto others...," is one of history's great moral heuristics. It seems to have grown independently from several cultural flower beds and has survived to the present day. What bad could come of it? In the absence of careful, objective thought on a moral decision, I'd say "quite a bit." Here's why:

If I want treatment X for myself, I should treat others in kind.

I made a simple diagram of the argument. I try to show that the Golden Rule can justify the control of others.

Controlling another person is sometimes justified. Stopping a child from sprinting into traffic or persuading a friend not to make a purchase that would be financially detrimental are examples. The justification lies in the wisdom of the controller: inasmuch as a factual or moral truth can be derived from the circumstances at hand, one should control another such that the factual or moral truth is enacted.

I believe that even very complex situations can be, at least in principle, analyzed as such. Unfortunately, many people tend not to challenge their own assumptions and moral beliefs. Many people do tend, on the other hand, to impute motives in their opposition that are inaccurate. Taken together, these tendencies render such an analysis impossible.

Here is a common example: I see that some evangelical Christians are violently opposed to LGBT equality. I then conclude that evangelical Christians are violent and hateful, committing the fallacy of composition. Communication between myself and that community at large ceases, since giving their ideas airtime seems counterproductive to me. This drives me even further into my own set of beliefs about LGBT - total equality for these people is unimpeachable, has no potential down sides, and I may even react negatively to people advancing non-violent, well-reasoned counterarguments, whether they are evangelicals or not. I thus cease to communicate rationally on this subject with others (and even with myself).

Then take the evangelical Christian: Perhaps she genuinely believes that same sex marriage is sinful, and she appreciates times in the past when others have pushed her from an unwitting sin. Thus she feels justified, with the Golden Rule in her front pocket, vying against people and legislation that favor LGBT marriage equality. Unfortunately, her faith in the divine authorship of the Bible is almost certainly unwarranted.

The Golden Rule is moral fast food.
LuckyR

Re: An objection to the Golden Rule

Post by LuckyR »

Uummm, I am not seeing the analogy. Folks who are dogmatic (the fundamentalist Christian in your example) don't live by the Golden rule, that is they feel completely comfortable trying to convert others who disagree with them, yet they have very closed minds to opposing data to their own beliefs.

Thus your example doesn't address the Golden rule, make a better analogy.
"As usual... it depends."
mattfara50

Post by mattfara50 »

LuckyR wrote: May 6th, 2018, 1:52 am Uummm, I am not seeing the analogy.
Hi, LuckyR. Moving through a few threads, I see that you are a very active member here. Thanks for replying.

The point I'm trying to make is that the GR is not a sufficient moral framework, since in the absence of questioning one's own beliefs through open, non-confrontational communication, it can be used to justify the control of others. It is far too simple to be responsibly used, and appeal to its wisdom is thus unwarranted. It doesn't deserve its popularity.
mattfara50

Post by mattfara50 »

LuckyR wrote: May 6th, 2018, 1:52 am ...they feel completely comfortable trying to convert others who disagree with them, yet they have very closed minds to opposing data to their own beliefs....
I wanted to add that you seem to be assuming that they have failed to analyze opposing arguments and evidence. That is likely true in many cases. But in the cases when they are open-minded and do try to fairly analyze the opposing views, some fraction of them will still be unconvinced. So in that case, the GR would have them carry on proselytizing, etc.
Namelesss

Post by Namelesss »

mattfara50 wrote: May 5th, 2018, 3:17 pm "Do as you would be done by," the concise rephrasing of "Do unto others...," is one of history's great moral heuristics. It seems to have grown independently from several cultural flower beds and has survived to the present day
The correct translation of the 'Golden Rule' is as follows;
"Do NOT do to others what you don't want done to you!
You are right in that the incorrect version is logically unsound and fallacious, yet "people believe anything repeated often enough!" (- Goebbels).
Feel free to run the high-beams of your critical examination over the correct translation! *__-
CIN

Post by CIN »

Namelesss wrote: May 7th, 2018, 1:24 am The correct translation of the 'Golden Rule' is as follows;
So if I am allergic to oysters, and I have guests who love oysters and are not allergic to them, I should not serve them oysters simply because I am allergic?
Philosophy is a waste of time. But then, so is most of life.
Thinking critical
Favorite Philosopher: A.C Grayling

Post by Thinking critical »

CIN wrote: May 7th, 2018, 2:59 am
Namelesss wrote: May 7th, 2018, 1:24 am The correct translation of the 'Golden Rule' is as follows;
So if I am allergic to oysters, and I have guests who love oysters and are not allergic to them, I should not serve them oysters simply because I am allergic?
This being the problem with rules, exceptions can normally be found. In a general sense to a rational and sound minded individual the original rendering of the golden rules as reiterated by "nameless" does encourage moral behaviour.......it reminds us to invest time thinkiing about the interests of people other than ourselves.
This cocky little cognitive contortionist will straighten you right out
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Mattfara, you are right that the Golden Rule is insufficient moral framework. I accept your"framework" metaphor. However if we employ the springboard metaphor to the GR we have something like enhanced initiative. Jesus himself said that we know them by their fruits, which is a useful way to make the GR more practical although still not quite an entire moral system.

For these reasons we need to understand how we may live good lives. Bring on reason; add Socrates to Jesus and we are getting there. Then add David Hume's observation that ordinary human sympathy exists as a part of normal human psychology.

Your example
Then take the evangelical Christian: Perhaps she genuinely believes that same sex marriage is sinful, and she appreciates times in the past when others have pushed her from an unwitting sin. Thus she feels justified, with the Golden Rule in her front pocket, vying against people and legislation that favor LGBT marriage equality. Unfortunately, her faith in the divine authorship of the Bible is almost certainly unwarranted.

The Golden Rule is moral fast food.
shows how unreason can take the form of inadequate knowledge and judgement, together with cultish following of some bossy individual's dicta which in the case of fundamentalist religiosity stem from Biblical literalism.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

I do agree that no guidance in this area is immune to clever people making up exceptions.
"As usual... it depends."
Namelesss

Post by Namelesss »

You will not cause them harm by not 'doing to them...' ie; by not serving oysters.
On the other hand, if you DO love to sprinkle cyanide in your salad, 'doing it unto others' is a huge error in judgment.
If you DO like to be tortured, etc...
No, the original translation stands, logically, ethically.
Namelesss

Post by Namelesss »

Furthermore, if you don't serve your guests what they love, IF you can, then you are simply a lousy selfish dickheaded 'host' deliberately using the Rule to promote your dickheadedness! *__-
CIN

Post by CIN »

Namelesss wrote: May 7th, 2018, 4:37 am

You will not cause them harm by not 'doing to them...' ie; by not serving oysters.
On the other hand, if you DO love to sprinkle cyanide in your salad, 'doing it unto others' is a huge error in judgment.
I used to be a nurse working in a cancer hospital. Since I don't have cancer myself, I don't want to be injected with strong chemotherapy drugs. Following your new golden rule ("Do NOT do to others what you don't want done to you!"), I refused to inject any of the patients with these drugs, on the grounds that I don't want to be injected with them myself.

I have lost my job, and my prosecution for gross medical negligence comes up in court next week.

Over to you.
CIN

Post by CIN »

The so-called 'golden rule', in either formulation, is a mere crude rule of thumb.
Namelesss

Post by Namelesss »

CIN wrote: May 7th, 2018, 5:35 am
Namelesss wrote: May 7th, 2018, 4:37 am
I used to be a nurse working in a cancer hospital. Since I don't have cancer myself, I don't want to be injected with strong chemotherapy drugs. Following your new golden rule ("Do NOT do to others what you don't want done to you!"), I refused to inject any of the patients with these drugs, on the grounds that I don't want to be injected with them myself.

I have lost my job, and my prosecution for gross medical negligence comes up in court next week.

Over to you.
I'm not going to play your silly game.
"Consider the unaccepted gift; to whom does it belong?"

I didn't invent the saying, the correct translation, I just shared it for those with the ability to discern the difference.
If you want to argue it, talk to Whoever first wrote it in the bible!
Logically, despite certain juvenile and illogical objections, what I offered makes infinite more sense.
I hope that you claiming to be a nurse was hyperbole...
Namelesss

Post by Namelesss »

CIN wrote: May 7th, 2018, 5:36 am The so-called 'golden rule', in either formulation, is a mere crude rule of thumb.
As you speak it, so mote it be!
Your inability to see the vast distinctions are reflections of your own limitations and emotional needs, not rational logic, or that which is being presented.

Return to “Ethics and Morality”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream