An objection to the Golden Rule

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
mattfara50

Re: An objection to the Golden Rule

Post by mattfara50 »

I'm not sure whether I'm within my rights to say this, but perhaps I am given that I'm the OP: Please don't insult each other. It's a waste of time generally and really has no place on a philosophy forum.
CIN

Post by CIN »

Namelesss wrote: May 7th, 2018, 6:31 am I'm not going to play your silly game...
Your inability to see the vast distinctions are reflections of your own limitations and emotional needs, not rational logic, or that which is being presented.
And I, for my part, am not going to exchange insults with you. That is no way to do philosophy, or indeed conduct oneself as a human being.

Have a nice day.
Philosophy is a waste of time. But then, so is most of life.
CIN

Post by CIN »

Namelesss wrote: May 7th, 2018, 6:31 am
CIN wrote: May 7th, 2018, 5:35 am

I used to be a nurse working in a cancer hospital. Since I don't have cancer myself, I don't want to be injected with strong chemotherapy drugs. Following your new golden rule ("Do NOT do to others what you don't want done to you!"), I refused to inject any of the patients with these drugs, on the grounds that I don't want to be injected with them myself.

I have lost my job, and my prosecution for gross medical negligence comes up in court next week.

Over to you.
I hope that you claiming to be a nurse was hyperbole...
In case anyone is seriously worried, I was, of course, merely roleplaying in order to make a point. I have never been a nurse; before I retired, I was an office worker. My example was probably suggested to me because of my experience in looking after my wife, who has had cancer twice and also has a small brain tumour (thankfully inactive). I've noticed that one or two people in this forum can get very worried by philosophical ideas (quite unnecessarily, in my opinion - philosophy really isn't that kind of game, it's all too speculative to be taken that seriously). But apologies if anyone was really disturbed by what I wrote.
Karpel Tunnel

Post by Karpel Tunnel »

CIN wrote: May 7th, 2018, 2:59 am
Namelesss wrote: May 7th, 2018, 1:24 am The correct translation of the 'Golden Rule' is as follows;
"Do NOT do to others what you don't want done to you!
So if I am allergic to oysters, and I have guests who love oysters and are not allergic to them, I should not serve them oysters simply because I am allergic?
No, you can always take into account the differences between you and others. You don't want things given to you that would harm you. Oysters harm you, but this does not mean you get to give peanuts to one of your friends since you are not allergic to peanuts, just oysters. You understand,even more than others, via your own allergy, what that would be like for you. It is not about the exact specifics of the actions, but the consequences.

Just as with the positive version of the golden rule.

Yes, if I am wakling down the street I do not want someone to tackles me and roll me around on the ground. At least, nearly always. However if I see a man on fire, I am, in Golden Rule terms, allowed to do this, to put the fire out.
Karpel Tunnel

Post by Karpel Tunnel »

The Golden Rule and also Nameless' negative version
are not
action plans. They are not to save you thinking about the specific acts you must and must not perform.
You still need to figure out the specifics IN CONTEXT.
We are not all the same.
Contexts are not all the same.
You still have to think and intuit.
It's the attitude you base your choices on, not a short cut to deciding the specifics of the attitudes.
CIN

Post by CIN »

Karpel Tunnel wrote: May 8th, 2018, 2:22 am The Golden Rule and also Nameless' negative version
are not
action plans. They are not to save you thinking about the specific acts you must and must not perform.
You still need to figure out the specifics IN CONTEXT.
We are not all the same.
Contexts are not all the same.
You still have to think and intuit.
It's the attitude you base your choices on, not a short cut to deciding the specifics of the attitudes.
I entirely agree. But what that suggests to me is that the usual formulation of the Golden Rule is so inexact as to be positively misleading. 'Do as you would be done by' is expressed in terms of actions, not attitudes, and this is the main way in which it seems to me to be deficient. We would be better served by a formulation such as 'Give other people's best interests the same importance you would give your own'.

Even then, it can only be a rule of thumb. What about people who have committed serious crimes? Are we to treat their best interests as being as important as everyone else's? You could argue that it is in their best interests to be imprisoned or whatever, but this ignores most people's intuition that criminals don't deserve the same degree of consideration as those who have not committed crimes.

Perhaps the best we can do is something like 'Other things being equal, give other people's best interests at least the same consideration you would give your own'. Not very concise, I'm afraid.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

CIN's thought experiment:
I used to be a nurse working in a cancer hospital. Since I don't have cancer myself, I don't want to be injected with strong chemotherapy drugs. Following your new golden rule ("Do NOT do to others what you don't want done to you!"), I refused to inject any of the patients with these drugs, on the grounds that I don't want to be injected with them myself.

I have lost my job, and my prosecution for gross medical negligence comes up in court next week.
Medical ethics are established in laws, and grey areas are subject to legal process. This apart, a professional medical ethicist looking to new and ethically problematic medical situations will bring reason and compassion to the table.

The Golden Rule is imprecise but it is reasonable as far as it goes and it is compassionate in intention.
David Cooper

Post by David Cooper »

The Golden Rule can be adapted into many forms which attempt to debug it. "Never do to anyone anything they don't want done to them" gets around the problem of different likes and dislikes for different people, but even then there's a problem with people not always knowing what's best for them, and you don't want to be banned from punishing criminals either.

The Golden Rule is close to the truth, but not quite there, and attempts to tinker with its wording soon destroy its simplicity. A better approach (possibly the best one) to morality is to imagine that you are all the participants in a scenario (meaning that you'll have to live all their lives in turn) and to work out how they should behave so that you'll have the best overall time. Where a small amount of happiness for one person depends on causing a greater amount of unhappiness for another person, that would be a bad decision from which you would automatically lose out. This method appears to be compatible with utilitarianism. I think it's the subconscious way that most of us judge morality, and also that it inspired the Golden Rule which was an attempt to express the idea concisely.
Namelesss

Post by Namelesss »

CIN wrote: May 7th, 2018, 11:48 am
Namelesss wrote: May 7th, 2018, 6:31 am I'm not going to play your silly game...
Your inability to see the vast distinctions are reflections of your own limitations and emotional needs, not rational logic, or that which is being presented.
And I, for my part, am not going to exchange insults with you. That is no way to do philosophy, or indeed conduct oneself as a human being.

Have a nice day.
I see (nor intended) no insult.
I posted a valid, rational observation!
Any perceived criticism sends you running?
That seems far from anything considered philosophical discourse, to me.

(Have a 'nice day' to you, too! But if you want a 'nice day', philosophers are no one to hang with; "Philosophers are mind sharks!")
Namelesss

Post by Namelesss »

Karpel Tunnel wrote: May 8th, 2018, 2:22 am ... Nameless' negative version...
Don't blame me, I merely offered the correct, rational, translation. *__-
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

David Cooper wrote: May 8th, 2018, 5:55 pm The Golden Rule can be adapted into many forms which attempt to debug it. "Never do to anyone anything they don't want done to them" gets around the problem of different likes and dislikes for different people, but even then there's a problem with people not always knowing what's best for them, and you don't want to be banned from punishing criminals either.

The Golden Rule is close to the truth, but not quite there, and attempts to tinker with its wording soon destroy its simplicity. A better approach (possibly the best one) to morality is to imagine that you are all the participants in a scenario (meaning that you'll have to live all their lives in turn) and to work out how they should behave so that you'll have the best overall time. Where a small amount of happiness for one person depends on causing a greater amount of unhappiness for another person, that would be a bad decision from which you would automatically lose out. This method appears to be compatible with utilitarianism. I think it's the subconscious way that most of us judge morality, and also that it inspired the Golden Rule which was an attempt to express the idea concisely.
That good method is compatible with utilitarianism because utilitarianism is the political manifestation of the subconscious urge to fairness.
CIN

Post by CIN »

Namelesss wrote: May 8th, 2018, 9:43 pm
CIN wrote: May 7th, 2018, 11:48 am

Have a nice day.

(Have a 'nice day' to you, too! But if you want a 'nice day', philosophers are no one to hang with; "Philosophers are mind sharks!")
Isn't the reason why you have falsely denied launching an ad hominem attack against me precisely so that you can have a nice day?
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

The GR is not a menu from which to select (I like chocolate cake, does he like chocolate cake, or perhaps angel food? Hhmmm...) rather a guide to motivation. I would like to eat my preferred food ingredients prepared as well as the preparer can make them. I will give my dinner guests the same courtesy, regardless if they like food A or food B and my preferences don't even enter into the equation.
"As usual... it depends."
mattfara50

Post by mattfara50 »

How would the zealot escape opposing LGBT rights despite the GR? If they are truly convinced that they are helping the LGBT person by pushing against their "sinful" lifestyle, could the GR make it worse? Make it better?
Namelesss

Post by Namelesss »

CIN wrote: May 9th, 2018, 3:54 am
Namelesss wrote: May 8th, 2018, 9:43 pm

Isn't the reason why you have falsely denied launching an ad hominem attack against me precisely so that you can have a nice day?
This is precisely the 'games', the emo games, that I refuse to waste my time playing with you. If you can have a real focused discussion, on the topic (rather than getting your panties all a'twist), then have at it.
If you feel capable of pointing out, exactly, what you consider an ad-hom fallacy that I offered, then do it!!
If you can stay on topic, then do that, too.
(This is a philosophy site, not a juvenile therapy session for delicate egos.)

Return to “Ethics and Morality”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream