Animal Ethics - Is it wrong to eat animals?

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
ThomasHobbes

Re: Animal Ethics - Is it wrong to eat animals?

Post by ThomasHobbes »

Humans have evolved to eat mostly meat, nuts and fruit.
In our pastoralist phase many evolved to consume dairy produce
But we are not evolved to eat any agricultural products such as; wheat and other forms of corn; soy and other legumes; or sugars. So both veganism and vegetarianism are not suitable diets.
It is becoming increasingly clear that the post-WW2 boom in heart disease is not caused by meat and dairy produce, but by the over consumption of wheat and sugar based products, which have also led to an epidemic of diabetes.

I say thrown your pasta, bread, potatoes and sugary food and bin them. Eat meat, cheese nuts and salads and watch your weight drop, your thinking increase and your pain lessen.
CIN

Post by CIN »

ThomasHobbes wrote: May 17th, 2018, 3:26 pm Humans have evolved to eat mostly meat, nuts and fruit.
But we are not evolved to eat any agricultural products such as; wheat and other forms of corn; soy and other legumes; or sugars. So both veganism and vegetarianism are not suitable diets.
It is becoming increasingly clear that the post-WW2 boom in heart disease is not caused by meat and dairy produce, but by the over consumption of wheat and sugar based products, which have also led to an epidemic of diabetes.

I say thrown your pasta, bread, potatoes and sugary food and bin them. Eat meat, cheese nuts and salads and watch your weight drop, your thinking increase and your pain lessen.
https://health.spectator.co.uk/vegetari ... rs-longer/

We vegetarians live longer than you meat-eaters. Please put your own house in order before you start to criticise our diet.
Philosophy is a waste of time. But then, so is most of life.
Alias
Favorite Philosopher: Terry Pratchett

Post by Alias »

There is this, too
https://www.health.harvard.edu/heart-he ... free-diet-

But that's not a question of ethics or a self-consistent philosophical stance.
That's just a question of food preference vs longevity.
ThomasHobbes

Post by ThomasHobbes »

CIN wrote: May 17th, 2018, 7:07 pm
ThomasHobbes wrote: May 17th, 2018, 3:26 pm Humans have evolved to eat mostly meat, nuts and fruit.

We vegetarians live longer than you meat-eaters. Please put your own house in order before you start to criticise our diet.
If life were about prolonging the inevitable, I might consider this a valid argument. I do not.
ThomasHobbes

Post by ThomasHobbes »

Alias wrote: May 17th, 2018, 9:32 pm There is this, too
https://www.health.harvard.edu/heart-he ... free-diet-

But that's not a question of ethics or a self-consistent philosophical stance.
That's just a question of food preference vs longevity.
Neither of these citations are worth reading.
The first contains the most basic factual inaccuracy.
"This might explain why excessive meat consumption has been associated with higher rates of heart disease and death — although admittedly this is speculation, as research in this area has not yet been carried out."
The Second (ahem!) "Harvard", mis-represents the mediterranean diet which has plenty of fat in it.
ThomasHobbes

Post by ThomasHobbes »

The diet argument for heart disease, originally based on the Seven Countries Study, is fast becoming a massively contested area.
Despite 50 years of warning against too much fat, heart disease and diabetes continue to be amongst the biggest causes of death in the Western world.
Those seven countries were cherry picked and had the study spread itself more widely the results would not have been concluded as they were. Studies funded by Mazola tend to favour less meat in the diet.
An evolutionary and genetically based approach, I feel is more likely to have better results in future.
And the HFLC advice is getting some people back to health.
Alias
Favorite Philosopher: Terry Pratchett

Post by Alias »

And again, whatever the case for human health, it's not about an ethically consistent attitude to other species, which was the topic.
Those who can induce you to believe absurdities can induce you to commit atrocities. - Voltaire
CIN

Post by CIN »

ThomasHobbes wrote: May 18th, 2018, 4:06 am
CIN wrote: May 17th, 2018, 7:07 pm

If life were about prolonging the inevitable, I might consider this a valid argument. I do not.
It's not a question of what life is about. My argument is sound because it shows that vegetarianism is a healthier diet than meat-eating, and therefore, contrary to your earlier claim, is a suitable diet for humans.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

CIN wrote: May 22nd, 2018, 4:37 pm

It's not a question of what life is about. My argument is sound because it shows that vegetarianism is a healthier diet than meat-eating, and therefore, contrary to your earlier claim, is a suitable diet for humans.
It is completely suitable. Though that is a pretty low bar. An omnivore diet is also suitable for humans, even a Modern western diet (with all of it's flaws and shortcomings) is reasonable, though far from optimal
"As usual... it depends."
ThomasHobbes

Post by ThomasHobbes »

CIN wrote: May 22nd, 2018, 4:37 pm

It is not healthier. And your stats do not even show that. There are many other factors that find that result, even if the evidence is credible - which I doubt.
And it's not healthier for the planet either.
CIN

Post by CIN »

ThomasHobbes wrote: May 22nd, 2018, 5:21 pm It is not healthier. And your stats do not even show that.
Technically, of course, you are correct. There are many logically possible reasons why vegetarians might live longer than meat-eaters. They might, for instance, be on average richer and therefore able to afford better medical care. But it's a reasonable prima facie interpretation of the evidence. You would need to provide evidence to back up your alternative view, and so far you haven't provided any.

There are many other factors that find that result, even if the evidence is credible - which I doubt.
Well, as I say, you need to provide the evidence for these other factors. And you will excuse me if I do not regard your personal doubts as significant: the fact that you doubt is merely a fact about you, not about anything material to this discussion.
And it's not healthier for the planet either.
Evidence?

Incidentally, even if you were correct in all your claims, that would still not show that vegetarianism was not more ethical than meat eating. A small decrease in human health might be considered a reasonable price to pay for not murdering millions of animals a year.
chatterbears
New Trial Member

Post by chatterbears »

Sorry for the hiatus. For anyone who interested in actual scientific journals/studies, I have created a Google Doc. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

When people say "Humans have evolved to eat mostly meat, nuts and fruit.", this is false. Early human food cultures were plant-based. Major religions such as Hinduism and Buddhism have recommended a vegetarian way of life since their conception. You can find out more about early human cultures in this Journal: https://academic.oup.com/ajcn/article/1 ... 6S/4576707

For others saying that a Vegan diet causes more harm than an Omnivorous one, Gaverick Matheny refuted this notion back in 2003, when he responded to Steven Davis's Omnivorous Proposal. I will post both articles.

2002 Steven Davis's Omnivorous Proposal : https://www.lbs.co.il/data/attachment-f ... ahvnvt.pdf
2003 Gaverick Matheny Rebuttal :

Code: Select all

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1023%2FA%3A1026354906892
Gaverick Matheny Rebuttal FULL :

Code: Select all

https://www.veganoutreach.org/enewsletter/matheny.html
In regards to insects, many Entomologists have stated they are not convinced that insects feel pain. Only some complex insects, such as Bees, have traits of higher intelligence and consciousness, which can lead us to believe they do feel pain. But this is entirely irrelevant to the idea of factory farming, where we are directly killing conscious being, while torturing them and forcing them to live in unlivable conditions.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Arguments advocating a "no kill" scenario, are of course reasonable, but cannot claim moral high ground (compared to a carnivorous or omnivorous one) since a kill or be killed paradigm is essentially the natural order of things here on planet earth. Factory farming torture, however is not the natural order of things so eliminating the suffering from that does have moral traction.
"As usual... it depends."
Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Post by Eduk »

Humans are omnivorous.
Unknown means unknown.
ThomasHobbes

Post by ThomasHobbes »

CIN wrote: May 23rd, 2018, 12:42 pm
ThomasHobbes wrote: May 22nd, 2018, 5:21 pm And it's not healthier for the planet either.
Evidence?
A small decrease in human health might be considered a reasonable price to pay for not murdering millions of animals a year.
On the matter of healthier for the planet. Pastoralism, as a form of agriculture more effectively mimics that NATURAL cycles of nature.
If we were all vegetarians there would be NO animals at all, just more land destroyed under the plough.

You cannot 'murder' and animal. You can only murder a human.
I'd rather live in a world WITH animals, that you kill to eat, than live in a world with no animals at all.

Such childish appeals to emotion are not worthy. In any event a life lived on a farm with a painless death marks less suffering for an animal than offered by the natural world.

Return to “Ethics and Morality”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream