Killing Hitler?

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
mr533473

Killing Hitler?

Post by mr533473 »

1.) Morally speaking, is suicide immoral, permissible or obligatory? Why?

2.) If between 1930-1945, you were given the chance (without repercussion) to kill Hitler, would you do it? Would doing it be immoral, permissible or obligatory? why?

3.) Was Hitler's suicide immoral, permissible or obligatory? why?

4.) What's your favourite colour?
LuckyR

Re: Killing Hitler?

Post by LuckyR »

mr533473 wrote: July 3rd, 2018, 2:51 am 1.) Morally speaking, is suicide immoral, permissible or obligatory? Why?

2.) If between 1930-1945, you were given the chance (without repercussion) to kill Hitler, would you do it? Would doing it be immoral, permissible or obligatory? why?

3.) Was Hitler's suicide immoral, permissible or obligatory? why?

4.) What's your favourite colour?
1) I find the traditional definition of suicide immoral, though others disagree strongly and rightly (to their logic system). Permissible is sort of pointless in the sense that there is no practical way of exercising a ban. Obviously I do not feel it is obligatory.

2) Knowing what I know now, unlikely, I would. Thus I would not find it immoral, it would be permissible, yet not obligatory.

3) From my perspective, it was not immoral, it wss permissible and was not obligatory.

4) Blue
"As usual... it depends."
mr533473

Post by mr533473 »

LuckyR wrote:1) I find the traditional definition of suicide immoral, though others disagree strongly and rightly (to their logic system). Permissible is sort of pointless in the sense that there is no practical way of exercising a ban. Obviously I do not feel it is obligatory.
So suicide is immoral (by your standards), that's fair.

Could you clarify how exercising a ban or the inability to would have any bearing on it's moral standing? As far as I know suicide is illegal in my country (that's banned, right?) and while nobody charges the dead person with an offence, if you were to assist in someone's suicide, you're in trouble.
LuckyR wrote:2) Knowing what I know now, unlikely, I would. Thus I would not find it immoral, it would be permissible, yet not obligatory.
To clarify, killing Hitler would not be immoral and while not obligatory, it would be permissable?
LuckyR wrote:3) From my perspective, it was not immoral, it wss permissible and was not obligatory.
Again clarifying, Hitler killing himself (his suicide) was not immoral and while not obligatory, it was permissible?
LuckyR wrote:4) Blue
Nice choice!

Now, if I have understood your responses correctly, Hitler's suicide is an exception to your moral judgement of suicide on the whole.

In (1) you say suicide is immoral and the idea of it being permissible is sort of pointless.

But in (3) you say Hitler's suicide is not immoral and is permissible.

If you were to respond again to each question, what would you say?
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

What if, as it turns out, Hitler's continued existence until 1945 actually meant that another even more dastardly foe, who's name history does not record but who would have done all the bad things that Hitler did but more competently, was kept from rising to power?

Green.
mr533473

Post by mr533473 »

Steve3007 wrote: What if, as it turns out, Hitler's continued existence until 1945 actually meant that another even more dastardly foe, who's name history does not record but who would have done all the bad things that Hitler did but more competently, was kept from rising to power?
It's a great point Steve3007, I agree that (hypothetically speaking) eliminating something deemed bad from the past wouldn't necessarily result a better future and could actually result in a worse one. This is definitely worth considering in question 2.

The questions I've posed and their order are not arbitrary, would you care to answer them one by one? I'd be interested in your answers given your depth of consideration.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Yes ok. Sorry I previously skipped to the easy one at the end.

1. Three questions in one.

1.1 It is moral/immoral to varying degrees depending on the circumstances. It is immoral to the extent that it causes pain to others.

1.2 I think I'd have to say that it is permissible because, as a general rule, we own our own lives.

1.3. I think it could never realistically be said to be obligatory.

2. Yes I think I would do it, although I can't be certain because I've never killed anyone before and might not be able to bring myself to do it. This might depend very much on the method. Pressing a button from a thousand miles away or standing face-to-face with him and plunging a knife into his belly? Doing it would not be obligatory. It would be permissible. I'm not sure if it would be immoral. If I decided it was not permissible then I would have to be an absolute pacifist who believes that violence can never be justified under any circumstances. I am not that.

3. Hitler's suicide was permissible and not obligatory. Again, I'm not sure if it was immoral.

4. Yellow. (I'm a bit indecisive and not necessarily consistent. And I think this is like asking for a favourite song. It depends on the mood and the circumstances.)
mr533473

Post by mr533473 »

Steve3007 wrote: July 4th, 2018, 6:36 am Yes ok. Sorry I previously skipped to the easy one at the end.

1. Three questions in one.

1.1 It is moral/immoral to varying degrees depending on the circumstances. It is immoral to the extent that it causes pain to others.

1.2 I think I'd have to say that it is permissible because, as a general rule, we own our own lives.

1.3. I think it could never realistically be said to be obligatory.

2. Yes I think I would do it, although I can't be certain because I've never killed anyone before and might not be able to bring myself to do it. This might depend very much on the method. Pressing a button from a thousand miles away or standing face-to-face with him and plunging a knife into his belly? Doing it would not be obligatory. It would be permissible. I'm not sure if it would be immoral. If I decided it was not permissible then I would have to be an absolute pacifist who believes that violence can never be justified under any circumstances. I am not that.

3. Hitler's suicide was permissible and not obligatory. Again, I'm not sure if it was immoral.
I might need to be more clear in my future questions. I'm asking a moral question in all questions aside from the one on colour so each one requires one of the following (along with any reasoning you feel like you want to share) either immoral (not permissible or obligatory), morally permissible (not immoral or obligatory) or morally obligatory (not immoral and beyond merely permissible)
Steve3007 wrote: 4. Yellow. (I'm a bit indecisive and not necessarily consistent. And I think this is like asking for a favourite song. It depends on the mood and the circumstances.)
Totally fair.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

I might need to be more clear in my future questions. I'm asking a moral question in all questions aside from the one on colour so each one requires one of the following (along with any reasoning you feel like you want to share) either immoral (not permissible or obligatory), morally permissible (not immoral or obligatory) or morally obligatory (not immoral and beyond merely permissible)
OK, I see. So you seem to be using "immoral", "permissible" and "obligatory" to represent three points along an acceptability spectrum. I don't think the question can simply be reduced to these three points. It's a continuum and it depends heavily on circumstances.
mr533473

Post by mr533473 »

Steve3007 wrote: July 4th, 2018, 7:28 am
OK, I see. So you seem to be using "immoral", "permissible" and "obligatory" to represent three points along an acceptability spectrum. I don't think the question can simply be reduced to these three points. It's a continuum and it depends heavily on circumstances.
What would be another option outside of the three?
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Steve3007 wrote: July 4th, 2018, 4:03 am What if, as it turns out, Hitler's continued existence until 1945 actually meant that another even more dastardly foe, who's name history does not record but who would have done all the bad things that Hitler did but more competently, was kept from rising to power?
You can tell the sci-fi fans :)

1. Suicide is usually fine, just misguided. It's your life and you can do as you will within the usual obvious boundaries. However, since we are going to die soon enough anyway, haste to get there is only sensible if one is suffering terrible incurable illness, not the angst of the young and terminally frustrated. There's no rush. The longer I spend on this Earth the more I know that stasis is an illusion and a form of denial that causes us to be surprised when circumstances change, even though change is inevitable.

2. Don't know, for Steve's reason. Also, the dramatic nature of Hitler's capturing of the German people's minds, basically turning half of them into frothing bigoted idiots, has served as a cautionary tale. Given the shocking number of parallels of Hitler when he started out and Trump as he is starting out, one can only hope that lesson has stuck well enough to short-circuit what would might have been a faster descent. When once powerful and proud people are reduced to poverty and scrabbling for a living, increasing numbers are attracted to naive disrupters promoting overly simplistic and long-discredited "magic bullet solutions".

3. Hitler's suicide was for the best for all involved. It's not as though the usual moral considerations - upset caused to family and friends - applied in his situation after his years of destructive lunacy and decay. By the same token, it's okay to kill rats if they threaten the harvest.

4. I don't have a favourite colour - a particular shade of just about any colour in a certain light will attract me. The quality of the light makes a huge difference to visual beauty in much the same way as acoustics hugely affect the beauty of music (something that anyone who has heard quality music being turned to mush in the dissonant echoes of Sydney's Entertainment Centre will testify).
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

mr533473 wrote: July 4th, 2018, 3:28 am
LuckyR wrote:1) I find the traditional definition of suicide immoral, though others disagree strongly and rightly (to their logic system). Permissible is sort of pointless in the sense that there is no practical way of exercising a ban. Obviously I do not feel it is obligatory.
So suicide is immoral (by your standards), that's fair.

Could you clarify how exercising a ban or the inability to would have any bearing on it's moral standing? As far as I know suicide is illegal in my country (that's banned, right?) and while nobody charges the dead person with an offence, if you were to assist in someone's suicide, you're in trouble.
LuckyR wrote:2) Knowing what I know now, unlikely, I would. Thus I would not find it immoral, it would be permissible, yet not obligatory.
To clarify, killing Hitler would not be immoral and while not obligatory, it would be permissable?
LuckyR wrote:3) From my perspective, it was not immoral, it wss permissible and was not obligatory.
Again clarifying, Hitler killing himself (his suicide) was not immoral and while not obligatory, it was permissible?
LuckyR wrote:4) Blue
Nice choice!

Now, if I have understood your responses correctly, Hitler's suicide is an exception to your moral judgement of suicide on the whole.

In (1) you say suicide is immoral and the idea of it being permissible is sort of pointless.

But in (3) you say Hitler's suicide is not immoral and is permissible.

If you were to respond again to each question, what would you say?
Thanks for the later clarification on permissability. To amend, I find suicide immoral personally, permissible for society as a whole and not obligatory.

Murdering Hitler is exactly as you describe it

Hopefully that clears up my opinion on Hitlers suicide.

Still liking blue
mr533473

Post by mr533473 »

LuckyR wrote: Thanks for the later clarification on permissability. To amend, I find suicide immoral personally, permissible for society as a whole and not obligatory.
So is the moral standard you hold for yourself different from the standard you hold for others?

Maybe I have misunderstood. I'm just not clear on what you mean by "permissible for society as a whole" because as you know a society can't commit suicide. I take it as saying, if anyone else in society wants to commit suicide, it is morally permissible for them to do so.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

mr533473 wrote: July 5th, 2018, 3:24 am
LuckyR wrote: Thanks for the later clarification on permissability. To amend, I find suicide immoral personally, permissible for society as a whole and not obligatory.
So is the moral standard you hold for yourself different from the standard you hold for others?

Maybe I have misunderstood. I'm just not clear on what you mean by "permissible for society as a whole" because as you know a society can't commit suicide. I take it as saying, if anyone else in society wants to commit suicide, it is morally permissible for them to do so.
Yes, exactly that. Suicide is immoral to me, though I would not disagree with those who find it morally acceptable and would not seek to limit their options legally.
mr533473

Post by mr533473 »

LuckyR wrote: July 5th, 2018, 5:22 pm
mr533473 wrote: July 5th, 2018, 3:24 am

Yes, exactly that. Suicide is immoral to me, though I would not disagree with those who find it morally acceptable and would not seek to limit their options legally.
Do you have other moral standards where you are an exception? Perhaps something that is permissible for you but immoral for everyone else?
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

mr533473 wrote: July 5th, 2018, 10:50 pm
LuckyR wrote: July 5th, 2018, 5:22 pm

Do you have other moral standards where you are an exception? Perhaps something that is permissible for you but immoral for everyone else?
When put like that it's not a good look. However, it looks to me that Lucky simply holds himself to certain standards (as we tend to do) but he prefers where practicable to give others the freedom to subscribe to their own standards, rather than believing they should adopt his particular ethics ... unlike many busybody bastards out there who couldn't keep their sticky beaks to themselves to save their lives :D

Return to “Ethics and Morality”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream