Killing Hitler?

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
Hereandnow
Favorite Philosopher: the moon and the stars

Re: Killing Hitler?

Post by Hereandnow »

The better question is, does Hitler deserve the bad rap at all? After all, he did not ask to be a conscienceless psycho. He did not ask to feel no emotions as he slaughtered the innocent. If i were Hitler, I would have done the same (that's what it means to be Hitler). He was, as we all are, thrown into the world, thrown into a personality and its motivations. How is he at all to blame? Just as soon blame him for his sexual preference, or his aversion to goat cheese.
Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Post by Eduk »

Why question whether Hitler deserves the bad rap? How am I to blame? I was simply thrown into my personality and emotions. You might as well blame me for my sexual preference.
You seem to want it both ways Hereandnow. We shouldn't blame others but if we do we are to blame.
Unknown means unknown.
Hereandnow
Favorite Philosopher: the moon and the stars

Post by Hereandnow »

Well Eduk, that term 'blame' can get pretty sloppy, I'll grant you. When I suggest we shouldn't blame Hitler, I bring into question the very meaning of the term and whether it even makes sense, as I am wont to do. No one at all can be blamed for anything if the term makes no sens. Are we to blame for blaming Hitler if 'blame' is a meaningless term? If the term makes no sense, then it should be taken off the table altogether. But then, if meanings are restricted to the loose and popular use, then to say I want to have it both ways is to mix standards of application, for my positing we shouldn't blame anyone for anything rests with a standard that is analytical of the term, and many terms that are popular crash and burn under inspection. But my loose and popular sense of things tells me to blame in a non analytical way, and accordingly, I do take matters this way as well.
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

I don't know of a succinct way of expressing what you are saying. Saying Hitler is not to blame is I think not useful for expressing your point. You could say in a sense he is not to blame, followed by a tight definition of the meaning of blame you are using.
For example if I could stop Hitler I would and if I could stop an earthquake I would (ignoring possible side effects). But I blame those two things in different ways.
Personally I believe people do have agency, and if they don't have agency it makes no actual difference (my conclusions remain the same). Though people don't have perfect agency (so I agree with you up to a point). Personally I would say there is some mitigation to Hitler and he should not be blamed fully in certain very specific ways, but at the same time he certainly should be blamed in others. Net result in the case of Hitler is the same though whether I find him wholly responsible or only partly.
Unknown means unknown.
ThomasHobbes

Post by ThomasHobbes »

Eduk wrote: August 18th, 2018, 3:51 am Why question whether Hitler deserves the bad rap? How am I to blame? I was simply thrown into my personality and emotions. You might as well blame me for my sexual preference.
You seem to want it both ways Hereandnow. We shouldn't blame others but if we do we are to blame.
In a deterministic world blame takes in a different meaning. Free will aside, Hitler did what he did and like all of us, we have to take responsibility for our actions, determined as they are.
And as Hitler was determined by his nature to act in the way he did, I am determined to stop him.
But I would be to blame, just as Hitler is to blame.
Luxin
New Trial Member

Post by Luxin »

Dear philosopher mr533473 et al,

I only wish to comment on item 2). I would not, because for me there would be repercussions. "Let he who is free of sin cast the first stone" (Christ).
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Luxin wrote: September 1st, 2018, 5:12 pm Dear philosopher mr533473 et al,

I only wish to comment on item 2). I would not, because for me there would be repercussions. "Let he who is free of sin cast the first stone" (Christ).
Do you feel this phrase applies to literal stones or figurative ones?
"As usual... it depends."
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

mr533473 wrote: July 3rd, 2018, 2:51 am 1.) Morally speaking, is suicide immoral, permissible or obligatory? Why?

2.) If between 1930-1945, you were given the chance (without repercussion) to kill Hitler, would you do it? Would doing it be immoral, permissible or obligatory? why?

3.) Was Hitler's suicide immoral, permissible or obligatory? why?

4.) What's your favourite colour?
1) It seems like a very serious measure to take, but in some circumstances suicide isn’t immoral. If someone,wishes to die then what is there we can do to physically prevemt them from doing so without essentially taking away their freedom? Lots of grey areas for sure.

2) That would depend on the lay of the political landscape at the time of killing him. Was he the sole perpetrator? I don’t honestly know enough about history to say it would’ve made a positive difference if he was never to have existed. At face value though if we talking about killing one man to save several others then we’d have to judge the qualities of said people rather than simply regard the case as a one dead or several dead option because not everything aloce can be deemed of equal moral value (hence your questions.)

3) He was a drug addict in the end so I am not quite sure what to say? Are suicides immoral? Not all. Case by case.

4) Yellow. I’m very fond of autumnal colours (dull browns, greys and greens mixed in with sunburst yellows, and golden and orange hues.)
AKA badgerjelly
ThomasHobbes

Post by ThomasHobbes »

Luxin wrote: September 1st, 2018, 5:12 pm Dear philosopher mr533473 et al,

There are no repercussions in a hypothetical scenario with no repercussions.
ThomasHobbes

Post by ThomasHobbes »

If we do not have control over our own lives then what is the point of morality.
Suicide is wholly in the hands of the individual and should be beyond the reach of moralisers
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

ThomasHobbes wrote: September 2nd, 2018, 6:49 am If we do not have control over our own lives then what is the point of morality.
Suicide is wholly in the hands of the individual and should be beyond the reach of moralisers
Well yes and no. True we each make our own moralistic judgements on our own life choices. But we all know that it is only a half step from correctly making our own choices to incorrectly feeling justified in holding others to our personal standards. Just ask a Pro-lifer.
"As usual... it depends."
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

LuckyR is there not a complicated third option. As in you have a personal standard but due to error that standard is misapplied. If you knew it had been misapplied you would change the standard, but you don't know this. So actually you would want someone who had correctly applied your standard to hold you to their standard.
Unknown means unknown.
ThomasHobbes

Post by ThomasHobbes »

LuckyR wrote: September 3rd, 2018, 2:25 am
ThomasHobbes wrote: September 2nd, 2018, 6:49 am If we do not have control over our own lives then what is the point of morality.
Well yes and no. True we each make our own moralistic judgements on our own life choices. But we all know that it is only a half step from correctly making our own choices to incorrectly feeling justified in holding others to our personal standards. Just ask a Pro-lifer.
I'm not advocating pro-life, are you?

As long as you do not unnecessarily inconvenience the rest of us, by jumping off a building onto a busy street, the end of life ought to be a personal choice.

It is an absurd law that only results in punishment when attempted and failed
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

Where do you live Thomas?
Unknown means unknown.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

I'm in favour of such things as seatbelt laws and high taxation on cigarettes. Partly because of the effect that not wearing a seatbelt and smoking cigarettes has on the rest of society, but also because of the effect on the individual who does those things. So, in that sense, I'm in favour of the nanny state.

I'm not in favour of punishing people for attempting suicide, but, for the same reasons that I am in favour of the nanny state, I don't think it's entirely their own business whether they do so. It's other people's business too. I think (if it's being contemplated as a "permanent solution to a temporary problem", as they say) it should be discouraged with carrots not sticks. Not by threats of punishment, but by offers of help. I don't think the question of whether or not it is immoral is useful. As far as I'm concerned, the purpose of labelling any given act as immoral is functional. It is preventative. It is a stick. So it's not applicable to suicide.

Return to “Ethics and Morality”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream