Killing Hitler?

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
Luxin
New Trial Member

Re: Killing Hitler?

Post by Luxin »

Dear philosopher LuckyR,
LuckyR wrote: September 2nd, 2018, 2:40 am
Luxin wrote: September 1st, 2018, 5:12 pm Dear philosopher mr533473 et al,

I only wish to comment on item 2). I would not, because for me there would be repercussions. "Let he who is free of sin cast the first stone" (Christ).
Do you feel this phrase applies to literal stones or figurative ones?
I've always sensed that Christ's words were figurative. His 'Judge not lest ye be judged' has the same thrust as 'Let he who is free of sin cast the first stone', i.e. perhaps giving one pause regarding our race's general tendency to judge incautiously. A 'judgment' in this context is 'an opinion, estimation, action or conclusion as from circumstances presented to the mind'. Since all the four things there are subjective, how can anyone be certain that one's judgment is correct? An incorrect judgment issued has serious and often mysterious negative karmic consequences. Wardens and other prison staff have suffered seriously after it was discovered that an innocent person was executed. This significant suffering is prevented by following the commandment 'Thou shalt not kill'.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear philosopher Hereandnow,
Hereandnow wrote: August 18th, 2018, 1:37 am The better question is, does Hitler deserve the bad rap at all? After all, he did not ask to be a conscienceless psycho. He did not ask to feel no emotions as he slaughtered the innocent. If i were Hitler, I would have done the same (that's what it means to be Hitler). He was, as we all are, thrown into the world, thrown into a personality and its motivations. How is he at all to blame? Just as soon blame him for his sexual preference, or his aversion to goat cheese.
I admire that determinist view, thank you. Yes, no one asks to be wicked. The 'bad' were all once innocent little babies, as were the 'good'.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Luxin wrote: September 6th, 2018, 9:50 pm Dear philosopher LuckyR,
LuckyR wrote: September 2nd, 2018, 2:40 am

Do you feel this phrase applies to literal stones or figurative ones?
I've always sensed that Christ's words were figurative. His 'Judge not lest ye be judged' has the same thrust as 'Let he who is free of sin cast the first stone', i.e. perhaps giving one pause regarding our race's general tendency to judge incautiously. A 'judgment' in this context is 'an opinion, estimation, action or conclusion as from circumstances presented to the mind'. Since all the four things there are subjective, how can anyone be certain that one's judgment is correct? An incorrect judgment issued has serious and often mysterious negative karmic consequences. Wardens and other prison staff have suffered seriously after it was discovered that an innocent person was executed. This significant suffering is prevented by following the commandment 'Thou shalt not kill'.
Glad to hear it, I agree. Though no one "judges not", to be honest. But I don't see that as a shortcoming. Only a simpleton does not "judge".
"As usual... it depends."
mr533473

Post by mr533473 »

CIN wrote: July 26th, 2018, 7:12 am 1) Depends. If I have children who will starve if I kill myself, it's immoral. If I'm an army instructor and a bomb lands in front of my squad and the only way to stop them being killed is for me to throw myself on it, it's obligatory. Often it's just permissible. Suicide is just an act like any other; you decide whether it's moral or immoral in the same way you would any other act.
2) Yes, I would. The bastard killed 6 million innocent Jews. Obligatory. No brainer.
3) Obligatory (see 2). Not that the bastard knew it himself.
4) Octarine.
1) This seems to be a utilitarian response. Would you describe yourself as one?
2) Is punishment and retribution obligatory? In your view, would it be my obligation to kill him?
3) I am interested in what other crimes or vices one commits or indulges in that would render their suicide obligatory. Killing "6 million innocent Jews" you say makes it an imperative but I imagine stealing a bike would not demand the offender to commit suicide. Where is the line for you?
4) How do you know?
ktz
Favorite Philosopher: Habermas

Post by ktz »

1) Of course they may be case by case exceptions, but in the most general case I'd label suicide to be immoral because one is denying a human being the opportunity to grow, change, and further make contributions to society and the general welfare. Even though that human being is oneself, no one can see the future.
2) Having been denied from art school, Hitler actually had the talent to be an excellent draftsman and architect. I'd first seek alternate paths to avoiding the Holocaust besides murder -- perhaps post-art school rejection Hitler could be redeemed. Anti-semitism was a widespread phenomenon at the time and many small injustices and instances of discrimination against Jews were being committed in America, Britain, and other "civilized" countries at the time. I don't think a Minority Report-like assassination necessarily would lead to a more positive outcome the same way others here assume. And who's to say someone even worse than Hitler wouldn't have risen to power in Germany instead?
3) Consistent with my first answer, I find Hitler's suicide to be immoral, though I don't exactly feel that morality was a guiding light for 1945 Hitler. He had his practical considerations and he got to choose the path he took.
4) I decline to choose a favorite color as it's a vague question and I do not feel it is necessary or correct to discriminate against colors, as each may be the best at their job in their own contexts.
You may have a heart of gold, but so does a hard-boiled egg.

Return to “Ethics and Morality”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream