Is morality objective or subjective?

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
Felix

Re: Is morality objective or subjective?

Post by Felix » August 15th, 2018, 5:52 am

Eduk: What do you think objective means?
Impartial, unbiased - this is not a math problem.
Your example requires personal judgement on quality of life.
What decision about a course of action does not require personal judgement? If someone committed suicide, would it be reasonable to conclude they were satisfied with the quality of their life?
For example there are a large number of species who would be doing rather better without humans. They may well find it 'good' for humans to not desire to live.
What makes you think my statement only applied to humans?
"We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are." - Anaïs Nin

Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Post by Eduk » August 15th, 2018, 6:36 am

If someone committed suicide, would it be reasonable to conclude they were satisfied with the quality of their life?
For quality of life to objectively be 'good' it cannot rely on feelings or opinions. That is what objective means, when everyone disagrees with you on your definition of objective it is because they understand the meaning of objective to be different to your understanding of the meaning of objective.
Anyway I grow bored of this pointlessness. Take my feedback or don't take my feedback, the choice is yours.

Felix

Post by Felix » August 15th, 2018, 4:52 pm

Eduk: For quality of life to objectively be 'good' it cannot rely on feelings or opinions.
As I've said repeatedly in this thread, an objective assessment of quality of life would not be based on strictly personal feelings or opinions but on facts about human nature. Feelings and emotions are of course an aspect of human nature that must be taken into account and we would do so by considering the feelings and emotions that are common to all people (and sentient beings).
That is what objective means (i.e., a conclusion that does not rely on feelings or opinions), when everyone disagrees with you on your definition of objective it is because they understand the meaning of objective to be different to your understanding of the meaning of objective.
Only those who, like yourself, think there is only one definition of objectivity will disagree with me. More informed people understand that the meaning of objectivity differs according to the subject of inquiry, e.g., objectivity has a different meaning in psychology and the social sciences than it does in the physical sciences, and the latter "empirical" form of objectivity has no moral component.
"We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are." - Anaïs Nin

Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Post by Eduk » August 15th, 2018, 4:58 pm

Good so we agree, we are both right. I am right that what you are saying isn't objective and you are right that it is objective. I'm glad we both 'learned' so much.

Judaka

Post by Judaka » August 16th, 2018, 7:38 am

Hey, Peter Holmes did you finally get tired of Immanuel_Can and decided to post this topic to discuss here instead? :D

Peter Holmes

Post by Peter Holmes » August 17th, 2018, 1:18 am

Hey, Judaka.

I posted here at about the same time - just to get a wider range of responses - and the discussions at the two sites have been interestingly different.

But you're right - persistent and determined misunderstanding-for-a-purpose does wear you down.