Is morality objective or subjective?

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
Felix

Re: Is morality objective or subjective?

Post by Felix »

P.S. - What does "stroppy" mean? Is it subjective?
"We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are." - Anaïs Nin
Gertie

Post by Gertie »

Peter Holmes wrote: July 6th, 2018, 6:16 am The key to answering this question is the difference between factual and moral assertions – and how this relates to what we call objectivity and subjectivity.

We use the word objective to mean to ‘relying on facts’. And facts are true regardless of what anyone believes or claims to know, and regardless of their source. But all factual assertions are falsifiable, because they assert something about reality that may not be the case. So evidence is needed to justify them.

By contrast, we use the word subjective to mean ‘relying on judgement, belief or opinion’. Judgements can be individual or collective. They can be more or less rationally justifiable. And because they express values, we often refer to such judgements as value judgements or just values.

The difference between objectivity and subjectivity has been called the fact-value distinction. But discussions about specifically moral values are about how we ought to behave, so here the difference has been called the is-ought distinction.

Given this understanding of objectivity and subjectivity, moral assertions are subjective, because they express value judgements, rather than make falsifiable factual claims. And two examples illustrate the distinction.

1 The assertion people eat animals and their products is a fact – a true factual assertion. But the vegan assertion eating animals and their products is wrong expresses a moral judgement, not a fact. The two assertions have completely different functions.

2 That some states execute some criminals is true. But that states should execute some criminals – that execution is morally justifiable – is a judgement. If there were a moral fact of the matter, we could not argue about the judgement.

An argument that objective morality is evidence for the existence of anything – let alone a god – is unsound, because morality is not objective. It is rational to have sound reasons for our moral judgements, such as wanting to promote individual well-being. But they remain judgements, so they are subjective.

Trouble is, the assertion morality is subjective seems wrong and offensive. It seems to mean that whatever someone judges to be morally right or wrong is indeed morally right or wrong – so that anything goes, and moral relativism and anarchy is the result.

But that is to forget the is-ought distinction. To say an action is morally right or wrong is to express a judgement, not to state a fact. So an action is not – and does not become - morally right or wrong just because someone believes it is.

The expressions objective morality and moral fact are contradictions – or they could be called oxymorons. But our moral values and assertions matter deeply to us, so the mistake of believing there are moral facts is easy to explain. It is an understandable misunderstanding.

But, ironically, if there were moral facts, their source would be irrelevant. The assertion this is good because I say – or a god says – it is good has no place in a rational moral debate. An argument from authority is as mistaken for moral as it is for factual assertions. So the theistic argument from objective morality undermines itself.

The full version of this argument is at: http://www.peasum.co.uk/420676773
I pretty much agree.

But what I take from that, is we need a better, more appropriate way to think about how to get an Ought from an Is than worrying about Subjective vs Objective. A different way to ground Oughts which we can cohere around.

We can agree that Oughts lie in the field of the Subjective, because we are conscious Subjects, and they are created by us, for us. The key point is, that as conscious, experiencing Subjects, we have Interests, a quality of life, a stake in the state of affairs - and that's the proper grounding for Oughts. It matters if I harm you, because you are capable of being harmed/suffering (unlike say smashing a rock or a computer, which aren't conscious as far as we know). The harm is no less real or important because it's subjective. As Goldstein points out, it still matters, and mattering is the appropriate framework for Oughts.

As individual Subjects, some interests will be shared (like basic needs), and some will differ, so although the 'well-being of conscious creatures' is our shared grounding for Oughts, there needs to be some flexibility and nuance in how the principle is applied - individual freedom to pursue our own interests is important too. Harris calls it 'the moral landscape', Goldstein calls it 'the mattering map'.
Peter Holmes

Post by Peter Holmes »

Thanks, Gertie.

I think what you say makes sense. But I'd stress the completely different functions of factual and moral assertions. I agree it's right to make 'the well-being of conscious creatures' - or something like that - our 'shared grounding for Oughts'. I think that's a rational judgement, and that our social moral progress - slow and faltering as it has been - has come from that principle. But it remains a moral judgement - so it must be subjective.

The importance of overcoming moral objectivism lies in the danger of believing any moral judgements and values are or can be objective - matters of indisputable fact. That leads to the torturing of opponents, the murder of abortion practitioners, the flying of planes into buildings, and death camps - along with many other atrocities in our sorry history.
Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Post by Eduk »

The importance of overcoming moral objectivism lies in the danger of believing any moral judgements and values are or can be objective - matters of indisputable fact. That leads to the torturing of opponents, the murder of abortion practitioners, the flying of planes into buildings, and death camps - along with many other atrocities in our sorry history.
It is interesting that you decry moral objectivism because it leads to torture, murder, terrorism, genocide etc. This seems to ignore the moral judgement on the 'wrongness' of torture, murder, etc.
Unknown means unknown.
Peter Holmes

Post by Peter Holmes »

Not so. I - and fortunately many of us - judge torture, murder, terrorism and genocide to be immoral. It's those who mistake their moral judgements for facts, about which they are certain, who can be motivated to persecute and destroy others - thinking that what they do is morally justifiable.
Peter Holmes

Post by Peter Holmes »

For example, while Calvin's torturers set about their righteous work in the cellar, he was proclaiming the infinite love of the god he believed in, and whose objective moral law he claimed to be obeying. (To claim he wasn't being Christian is to commit the no-true-Scotsman fallacy.)
Gertie

Post by Gertie »

Peter
Thanks, Gertie.

I think what you say makes sense. But I'd stress the completely different functions of factual and moral assertions. I agree it's right to make 'the well-being of conscious creatures' - or something like that - our 'shared grounding for Oughts'. I think that's a rational judgement, and that our social moral progress - slow and faltering as it has been - has come from that principle. But it remains a moral judgement - so it must be subjective.
Right. And I'm saying so what if it's subjective? If it matters, that's what counts, and 'mattering' is an inherently qualiative/value/meaningful feature of conscious Subjects. We need to stop thinking of Subjectivity, as in 'the being of a conscious subject', as less important than objective facts about 'stuff' when it comes to Oughts. The ability to experience as a conscious subject is key to morality, that should be our starting point.

Spot on.

If God is dead, there is no higher, all-knowing, 'objective' authority to look to (for better or worse), like some perfect super-parent. So we need to assume responsibility for ourselves, and think afresh about what really matters, and why.
Peter Holmes

Post by Peter Holmes »

Agreed, Gerite - and nicely expressed. But I suggest one clarification.

It would make absolutely no difference if there were a god - and we all knew. The claim 'this is objectively morally good (or bad) simply because a god says it is - or because it's consistent with its nature' - has no justification. The source of a moral judgement has no bearing on its 'correctness' or 'truth'. Moral judgements have no factual truth value - that's why they're not objective. A god's existence or non-existence is irrelevant.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Gertie wrote:
Neither can empirical judgements be objective - matters of indisputable fact. Firstly there's the problem of induction . Next there's indomitable subjectivity.

Empirical judgements applied to life situations tend to be about efficiency. Thus one ought to sacrifice to the appropriate god to cause the monsoon to come and bring much needed water;it's immoral not to do so when it's the custom to do so. In many real life situations there is no difference between efficaceousness and goodness.

1.Information extracted under torture is unreliable. 2.Torturers become brutalised. 3. Members of the general public who know that the torturing is happening and who have not been brutalised get bad consciences and the national morale takes a turn for the worse.

1. and 2. are about how torture is inefficient. 3. is about why torture is immoral.It's immoral because it gives individuals guilty consciences and nightmares and spoils the national morale. 1. 2. and 3. can all be put into words using 'ought'.

I could draw a similar scenario for the other two atrocities which you name, Gertie. My conclusion is that subjectivity is such that it affects both empirical oughts and moral oughts , and that there is no absolute difference between the empirical ought and the moral ought.
Peter Holmes

Post by Peter Holmes »

Hi, Belindi.

The point is: there are no empirical (objective, factually faslifiable) 'oughts'. The mistake of moral objectivism is to claim that there are.

Perhaps you agree, but I'm not sure.

Your expression 'empirical judgement' seems confused. If you're saying that we can't make objectively true factual assertions, I think that's wrong. And the so-called problem of induction is a separate issue that muddies the issue unnecessarily.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Actually, Peter, people say empirical oughts quite often. For instance, "you ought to eat 5 portions of fruit and vegetables every day".This ought ultimately is subjective as it arises from the empirical criterion of maintaining health , and utlimately the subjective criterion that health is good.

Here's another example. " if you want to row faster you ought to feather your oars". It's backed by empirical evidence. It also connotes that the advice giver is an authority on rowing technique.
All utterances regardless of whether they are about techniques(empirical) or social relations(moral) are embedded within social situations and are therefore subjective.

It sometimes happens that the technical and the moral are intertwined as in religious rituals especially those that are magical and superstitious.

Oughts are about who is the boss or would be the boss, that's all.

I agree with you that there are no objective moral tenets. I'd add that neither are there totally objective empirical tenets. The difference between moral and empirical tenets is that the empirical tenets are less obviously subjective because they are usually subjected to reason and are falsifiable by reason. Whereas moral tenets are usually falsifiable only by appeals to God or some other authority. I submit that it's the direct appeal to authority that makes objectivity of moral tenets so dangerous for the subjects of autocrats. Societies that permit appeal to inductive reason are better for the ruled-over because the less powerful people in society can, theoretically. acquire the skills of reason.I say"theoretically" and I mean that education for all frees the ruled-over to become as powerful as the establishment.
Peter Holmes

Post by Peter Holmes »

I disagree. That eating fruit and veg every day benefits health is a fact - a true factual assertion. That we should or ought to do so is a judgement, based on the fact. Same with feathering the blade: there's the physical fact, and the practical application if you want to row faster. I think you're using the word 'ought' in a different way. (By the way, are or were you a rower too?)

The claim 'all utterances are subjective' needs explaining with regard to the objective - subjective distinction. Why is the assertion 'the earth orbits the sun' subjective?
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Peter Holmes wrote: July 16th, 2018, 5:41 am I disagree. That eating fruit and veg every day benefits health is a fact - a true factual assertion. That we should or ought to do so is a judgement, based on the fact. Same with feathering the blade: there's the physical fact, and the practical application if you want to row faster. I think you're using the word 'ought' in a different way. (By the way, are or were you a rower too?)

The claim 'all utterances are subjective' needs explaining with regard to the objective - subjective distinction. Why is the assertion 'the earth orbits the sun' subjective?
Peter,I used to row but only pottering about on the sea loch never on those competition boats. I just liked learning how to row better and my brother taught me. Are you or were you a competition rower ?
Physical facts impress me as they do you. I wish to move moral tenets closer to assertions of physical facts. In the end we cannot know anything objectively.
" Earth orbits the Sun" is a physical fact. It's also well known that people can be mistaken in perceptions and frequently are.However "Earth orbits the Sun" is a proposition that's embedded in established received theory. I have not a clue how it could be falsified, however theoretically I trust that it could be falsified. By contrast 'Don't torture' is easily falsifiable and this ready means of falsification makes the moral tenet seem to be so much more subjective than the physical fact.

I didn't enjoy writing that last sentence. But I do know that the UK government was complicit in rendition of foreign nationals to countries where they could be tortured. And I expect that the government at that time was using the utilitarian principle.

I would like to explain myself as someone who viscerally fears and hates torture. So I'm motivated , if I cannot discover that 'Don't torture' is objective, at least I want to move it closer to an empirical fact that torture is wrong. I would not submit the question to The Bible or some other folk tradition and so I hope to find a reasoned way to explain that harmonising with nature is good and unnatural acts such as torturing are bad.
Peter Holmes

Post by Peter Holmes »

'In the end we cannot know anything objectively.' But ' "Earth orbits the Sun" is a physical fact.' This looks like a contradiction to me - but I may not be understanding your distinction.

I agree that any factual assertion is falsifiable, because it claims something that may not be the case. But it doesn't follow that we can never know things and express that knowledge by means of true factual assertions, which we call 'facts'. If what we call a fact turns out to be false, that just means it never was a fact, so we were mistaken. But that doesn't mean that no facts are facts. We can know things objectively.

You're right that a moral assertion such as 'torture is wrong' expresses a value judgement, so it isn't a factual claim, so it has no truth value, is therefore unfalsifiable. That conclusion is the whole point of this discussion of moral objectivism. It's a profound mistake.

I rowed and coached, and my brother was a GB rowing Olympic gold medallist. We produced a technique manual that's still selling - which was why I thought you may have been alluding to it. Sorry - just a coincidence.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Peter, I am sorry about the death of your brother at such a young age and I trust that the manual of rowing will help to perpetuate his memory.

"Earth orbits the Sun" is and "Torture is wrong" are both propositions. God believers and believers who are non-religious objectivists would say that "Torture is wrong" is true a priori. I say that "Torture is wrong is true a posteriori , as in fact "Earth orbits the Sun" is true a posteriori.

I'm sceptical enough that I claim that no a posteriori claim to knowledge whether that claim is empirical or moral can be absolutely and objectively true. As it happens I also believe that maths and formal logic are a priori systems which are within their limitations absolutely true beliefs.

Return to “Ethics and Morality”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream