What could make morality objective?

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
Belindi

Re: What could make morality objective?

Post by Belindi »

Peter, I know that is the point of your OP.
My answer boils down to it's impossible for morality to be objectively true. This question should be relegated to a discussion about theories of truth
Peter Holmes

Post by Peter Holmes »

Belindi. Nicely succinct.
ThomasHobbes

Post by ThomasHobbes »

Peter Holmes wrote: July 27th, 2018, 9:07 am My question was: what could make morality objective?

In effect, this means: what has to be the case for a moral assertion to be factually true?

Reflecting on the many interesting suggestions here, I think there's a simple problem: they all beg the question. For example:

Q Why is slavery wrong? A Because it destroys personal freedom. Q Why is it wrong to destroy personal freedom? A Because ... and so on.

Any justification for a moral judgement boils down to: 'Because X is morally right / wrong' - so the premise is used to justify itself - begging the question. And that was the point of my OP.
CIN please note!
And shove your tiddlywinks where they deserve to go: up your objective Sh1t trap.
Karpel Tunnel

Post by Karpel Tunnel »

CIN wrote: July 27th, 2018, 9:17 am
ThomasHobbes wrote: July 27th, 2018, 8:08 am
You are making a category error. The shape of the earth, whatever you think it is, is not a value judgement. It is a fact about a physical object.
It's both. Try to stop begging the question. (If you don't know what 'begging the question' means, look it up.)
The rest of your response is ill-mannered and intellectually vacuous. You are obviously no good at philosophy. Perhaps you should take up tiddlywinks.
Ill-mannered being a taste issue and not an objective evaluation.
IOW he has not done anything objectively morally wrong.
Peter Holmes

Post by Peter Holmes »

Just a sidebar on the mistaken view that moral subjectivism entails moral nihilism.

Moral nihilism is the meta-ethical view that nothing is morally right or wrong. But if things cannot be morally right or wrong – or if moral rightness and wrongness are not properties that things can have – the claim of moral nihilism is merely trivially true by definition.

The conclusion that moral subjectivism entails moral nihilism depends on the truth of the objectivist claim that moral assertions are factual. In other words, the supposed nightmare of moral nihilism is the dark flip-side of moral objectivism.

When we see that moral objectivism – both secular (such as Aristotelian or Kantian) and theistic – is a mistake, we can see that we have always built and repaired the framework of our moral values on foundations of our own making - because we have no choice.

So we could (finally) move to overcome slavery, the oppression of women and homosexuals, the genital mutilation of children, economic inequality, and so on. And thank goodness for that.
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Peter Holmes wrote: August 18th, 2018, 7:40 am Just a sidebar on the mistaken view that moral subjectivism entails moral nihilism.

Moral nihilism is the meta-ethical view that nothing is morally right or wrong. But if things cannot be morally right or wrong – or if moral rightness and wrongness are not properties that things can have – the claim of moral nihilism is merely trivially true by definition.

The conclusion that moral subjectivism entails moral nihilism depends on the truth of the objectivist claim that moral assertions are factual. In other words, the supposed nightmare of moral nihilism is the dark flip-side of moral objectivism.

When we see that moral objectivism – both secular (such as Aristotelian or Kantian) and theistic – is a mistake, we can see that we have always built and repaired the framework of our moral values on foundations of our own making - because we have no choice.

So we could (finally) move to overcome slavery, the oppression of women and homosexuals, the genital mutilation of children, economic inequality, and so on. And thank goodness for that.
All ideologies are gibberish at the extreme. If something appears to be more right than wrong morally then morality is representative of something not nothing - that is trivially true.
AKA badgerjelly
Karpel Tunnel

Post by Karpel Tunnel »

Peter Holmes wrote: August 18th, 2018, 7:40 am So we could (finally) move to overcome slavery, the oppression of women and homosexuals, the genital mutilation of children, economic inequality, and so on. And thank goodness for that.
Or decide not to. If there are no objective morals you're reactions to these things are subjective and up for grabs. Obviously some people like these things. I know you know this, I just found it an odd end to the post and the thread so far.

IOW in context it sounds like you are saying: whew, it's a good thing that we no longer have the moralities of the theists and do not believe in objective morals so we can finally make these good choices.

It would make sense to say, I'm glad we're done with theist morals, I think this might make it more likely for things to be the way I like.

But what I quoted seemed to have implicit objective morals in it.

I do realize our languages are
saturated with this, but still...
Peter Holmes

Post by Peter Holmes »

Karpel Tunnel

I take your point. And I've often argued with fellow subjectivists about the post-objective redeemability of moral language.

I suppose my point is that our words mean what we (largely collectively) use them to mean - so that we use 'good', 'bad', 'right' and 'wrong' to express moral values and judgements that (rightly) matter deeply to us - but that recognising their subjectivity allows us to develop and change their meanings.

I think that if we refuse to acknowledge and talk about what we call moral goodness, we may, at least tacitly, concede something to objectivists. But I fully understand your reservations.
CIN

Post by CIN »

Peter Holmes wrote: August 18th, 2018, 7:40 am
I'm constantly amused by the way those who profess moral subjectivism nevertheless hold strong moral views about what is right, wrong, good or bad. And don't see the contradiction.

What you mean, I suppose, is that you want the world to be the way you, Peter Holmes, want it to be, and may well oppose at least some attempts by anyone else to have it any other way. I believe Adolf Hitler felt exactly like that. I think your world would be objectively better than the world Hitler wanted to create, because people in your world would generally be happier, and happiness, as all of us who have experienced it and its opposite know, is better than unhappiness. Objectively so.
Philosophy is a waste of time. But then, so is most of life.
CIN

Post by CIN »

ThomasHobbes wrote: July 27th, 2018, 11:55 am
Peter Holmes wrote: July 27th, 2018, 9:07 am My question was: what could make morality objective?

In effect, this means: what has to be the case for a moral assertion to be factually true?

Reflecting on the many interesting suggestions here, I think there's a simple problem: they all beg the question. For example:

Q Why is slavery wrong? A Because it destroys personal freedom. Q Why is it wrong to destroy personal freedom? A Because ... and so on.

Any justification for a moral judgement boils down to: 'Because X is morally right / wrong' - so the premise is used to justify itself - begging the question. And that was the point of my OP.
CIN please note!
And shove your tiddlywinks where they deserve to go: up your objective Sh1t trap.
A delight talking to you as always, Thomas Hobbes.

It's obvious why you chose that particular philosopher as your pseudonym - it's because your posts are poor, nasty, brutish and short.

Have a nice day.
Philosophy is a waste of time. But then, so is most of life.
ThomasHobbes

Post by ThomasHobbes »

CIN wrote: August 19th, 2018, 12:47 pm
ThomasHobbes wrote: July 27th, 2018, 11:55 am

CIN please note!
A delight talking to you as always, Thomas Hobbes.

It's obvious why you chose that particular philosopher as your pseudonym - it's because your posts are poor, nasty, brutish and short.

Have a nice day.
Those tiddlywinks must be pretty far up there since it took you over three weeks to find them.
I'd advise leaving them in the children's playbox where you keep your intellect,
Peter Holmes

Post by Peter Holmes »

CIN wrote: August 19th, 2018, 12:29 pm
Peter Holmes wrote: August 18th, 2018, 7:40 am
I'm constantly amused by the way those who profess moral subjectivism nevertheless hold strong moral views about what is right, wrong, good or bad. And don't see the contradiction.

What you mean, I suppose, is that you want the world to be the way you, Peter Holmes, want it to be, and may well oppose at least some attempts by anyone else to have it any other way. I believe Adolf Hitler felt exactly like that. I think your world would be objectively better than the world Hitler wanted to create, because people in your world would generally be happier, and happiness, as all of us who have experienced it and its opposite know, is better than unhappiness. Objectively so.
I'm constantly amused that those who profess moral objectivism are distressed by the idea that moral subjectivists can hold strong moral opinions. Why must the fact that moral judgements are subjective mean that they're absurd or impossible? Whence this misunderstanding?
Felix

Post by Felix »

The question posed in the OP was "What could make morality objective?" But instead of answering that question, folks have been debating whether morality is or is not subjectively based and if mark's twain can ever meet.

So let us address the actual question...

If everyone who possesses a normal amount of empathy (that is to say, not counting those who lack it, such as sociopaths and psychopaths) received a "good" well rounded education, would that not lead to the formation of an objective morality?

This was the idea I was leading to before when I talked about prescriptive truth, i.e., if we understand the facts about human nature, what people require to live a "good" life, to thrive and realize their innate potential, we can base an objective moral code on that knowledge.
"We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are." - Anaïs Nin
Karpel Tunnel

Post by Karpel Tunnel »

Felix wrote: August 19th, 2018, 6:01 pm The question posed in the OP was "What could make morality objective?" But instead of answering that question, folks have been debating whether morality is or is not subjectively based and if mark's twain can ever meet.

So let us address the actual question...

If everyone who possesses a normal amount of empathy (that is to say, not counting those who lack it, such as sociopaths and psychopaths) received a "good" well rounded education, would that not lead to the formation of an objective morality?

This was the idea I was leading to before when I talked about prescriptive truth, i.e., if we understand the facts about human nature, what people require to live a "good" life, to thrive and realize their innate potential, we can base an objective moral code on that knowledge.
It would lead to empathy being a factor in social relations, which is not necessarily a morality. It is just a pattern of interaction.
Karpel Tunnel

Post by Karpel Tunnel »

Peter Holmes wrote: August 19th, 2018, 3:44 pm I'm constantly amused that those who profess moral objectivism are distressed by the idea that moral subjectivists can hold strong moral opinions. Why must the fact that moral judgements are subjective mean that they're absurd or impossible? Whence this misunderstanding?
It seems like they would simply be preferences. Which is fine. I don't believe in objective morals. Subjective morals seems oxymoronic to me. I believe that is wrong but not objectively. I don't know what that means. I don't like it, that I understand.

Return to “Ethics and Morality”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream