Culling People

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
Burning ghost

Re: Culling People

Post by Burning ghost »

Alias -

So you think communism is the answer.
AKA badgerjelly
CIN

Post by CIN »

Burning ghost wrote: October 3rd, 2018, 4:47 am In some future scenario imagine that resources becmoe so low that the human population can no longer sustain itself in such high numbers.

Imagine a global government.

Many people thorw aroudn the idea of who to save, but they often leave out the nasty business of who will be left behind. To address this directly the situation is such that 1 billion people need to be culled to save the p-lanet and humanity.
I challenge your premise. The end of humanity would not result in the destruction of the planet - it would actually have almost the opposite effect. If humans died out, the biosphere would recover from the damage we are inflicting on it, and other species would be able to thrive. As a result, the world would almost certainly become a happier place. Therefore, as world leader, I would simply let humanity die out. That would be the moral thing to do.
Philosophy is a waste of time. But then, so is most of life.
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

CIN -

It’s not a premise. It’s a hypothetical. I was well aware that “saving humans only” may leave anti-human minded apathetic so I added all life on Earth.

Given that you don’t care for humanity you’re inhumane. You can work out the rest for yourself. Also, the option to “do nothing” was not present in the hypothetical.

So in short, you appear not to understand the question posed or lack the back bone to face the question. I am assuming the former.
AKA badgerjelly
CIN

Post by CIN »

Burning ghost wrote: October 5th, 2018, 7:33 am CIN -

It’s not a premise. It’s a hypothetical. I was well aware that “saving humans only” may leave anti-human minded apathetic so I added all life on Earth.

Given that you don’t care for humanity you’re inhumane. You can work out the rest for yourself. Also, the option to “do nothing” was not present in the hypothetical.

So in short, you appear not to understand the question posed or lack the back bone to face the question. I am assuming the former.
What you really mean is that you are unwilling to face up to the fact that your question was badly posed. Your bad.
Philosophy is a waste of time. But then, so is most of life.
Alias
Favorite Philosopher: Terry Pratchett

Post by Alias »

Burning ghost wrote: October 5th, 2018, 1:51 am Alias -

So you think communism is the answer.
Certainly, communism is the answer to "What is the most equitable economic organization of a society?"
But that wasn't the current question.
The current question was: How would I decide which billion people to eliminate so that the rest can survive?
The above are my criteria for deciding.
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

I think you should reread the OP then. Wealth was not an issue.
AKA badgerjelly
Alias

Post by Alias »

Burning ghost wrote: October 5th, 2018, 12:56 pm I think you should reread the OP then. Wealth was not an issue.
Wealth may not have been an issue for you, but limited resources were the central issue.
Thus, for me, wealth becomes a criterion, since the accumulation of wealth by a small minority of humans accounts for the limitation of resources available to the vast majority of humans. Therefore, to insure the continuing availability of resources for all of the remaining population, I deemed it necessary to eliminate that segment of the population who would attempt to monopolize those resources in the future.
Plus, I deemed it fair to execute those people who have been responsible for the suffering of others, rather than the ones who have suffered.
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Alias -

Okay then. Let’s imagine wealth is an issue. That means everyone in the US with a net worth of around $700,000 falls into this category. Do you think financial success to be a reason to be killed? Seems strange, then again I’m kind of used to your views so don’t expect them to be well thought out or able to stick to the actual question posed.

Make your own thread on killing “wealthy” people.

It is interesting to see how people react. The one’s who choose to ignore the OP or misread it likely do so for a reason. Or am I reading too much into this? ;)
AKA badgerjelly
Alias

Post by Alias »

Burning ghost wrote: October 5th, 2018, 2:35 pm Alias -

Okay then. Let’s imagine wealth is an issue.
Not an issue. A criterion.
That means everyone in the US with a net worth of around $700,000 falls into this category.
I was speaking globally. Each of those people control far more than their reported income. https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/14/richest ... ealth.html
Do you think financial success to be a reason to be killed?
Yes. As previously stated: because of how financial "success" is accomplished, what policies it supports politically, what conflicts it engenders socially, and its cost to the world in terms of resource consumption and allocation, pollution, environmental degradation, damage to future generations of human and detriment to other life-forms, and the fact that those same people would pursue that same kind of "success" post-culling, which would undo much of my hard work.
... your views so don’t expect them to be well thought out or able to stick to the actual question posed.
The question as posed:
I am asking how you personally would deal with this matter if you were our world leader and had the authority to decide absolutely what to do.
The question I answered, in detail.
Make your own thread on killing “wealthy” people.
No need. I've covered it three times now.
But you strangely overlooked everything else I said, including the scourge on military, death industries and clergy.
Or maybe the wealthy are all you care about?

It is interesting to see how people react. The one’s who choose to ignore the OP or misread it likely do so for a reason. Or am I reading too much into this? ;)
[/quote]
Alias

Post by Alias »

The one’s who choose to ignore the OP or misread it likely do so for a reason. Or am I reading too much into this?
Or too little and with insufficient attention?
Why ask a question if you don't want answers?
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Alias -
Not an issue. A criterion.
Not if I state for the purposes of the hypothetical scenario.
I was speaking globally. Each of those people control far more than their reported income.
So was I. The top 1% includes anyone with a networth of around $700,000. If we were talking purely about income then you’d have to include everyone earning around $30,000 or more a year.
Why ask a question if you don't want answers?
I merely pointed out the criteria you missed.
AKA badgerjelly
Alias

Post by Alias »

Burning ghost wrote: October 5th, 2018, 4:20 pm I merely pointed out the criteria you missed.
You asked on what basis we made our decisions. I told you my criteria for choosing which people to cull.
A billion is a lot of people to get rid of, and that 1%, however you calculate net worth, own and dispose half the world's resources. That's only 760 million people, and there is an almost complete overlap with the top tiers of the occupational categories, so we need another 240 million in criminals and terminal patients. Might even have to go down another 0.01 percent.
You can have your own criteria, but I don't miss them.
Halc

Post by Halc »

Burning ghost wrote: October 3rd, 2018, 4:47 am To address this directly the situation is such that 1 billion people need to be culled to save the planet and humanity.
I'm curious what exact goal is being met by this action. "Save the planet" seems best served by letting the house of cards collapse on its own.
Perhaps 'save humanity', but why?
Asimov wrote that golden rule about 1: Do no harm, or by inaction, let harm happen. Seems that this sort of scenario demonstrates the failure of this prime directive. Action and inaction will both cause harm, so we need a different prime goal around which we might design our best action.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Burning ghost wrote:The one’s who choose to ignore the OP or misread it likely do so for a reason.
If they disobeyed the OP by suggesting reducing the population by limits to new births rather than killing existing people, I suspect that reason is probably that they'd rather not murder a billion people if they don't have to.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Alias wrote: October 4th, 2018, 11:19 pm Stage 1a. Let everyone who has already requested assisted suicide go ahead without delay;
b. approve all requests for abortion and/or sterilization.
Stage 2. Take all hopeless and comatose patients off life-support.
Stage 3. Kill those with a net worth in the top 1%. (Every one of them is guilty of mass murder.)
Stage 4. Kill top two tiers of military, espionage and black ops organizations; demob all the rest.
Stage 5. Review crimes of long-term inmates; kill the ones I consider a danger to the public, let the rest go.
Stage 6. Kill top executives in the fossil fuel, weapons and chemical toxins industries.
If it's still not, ask for volunteers....
... but it's probably enough.
Make damn sure all who want it have full, free access to birth control and euthanasia.
Keep in mind that killing old people (since they would have died soon anyway), doesn't change the population much. In addition they have already had their kids, so there is no multiplicative effect. OTOH removing first world children, offers the maximal reduction in the use of resources.
"As usual... it depends."

Return to “Ethics and Morality”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream