What makes an action immoral?

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
Lori Gayle
New Trial Member

Re: What makes an action immoral?

Post by Lori Gayle »

philoreaderguy wrote:What makes an action immoral? How do we know if a certain choice, action, or behavior is immoral?
In asking what our moral principles are, how do we explain applying the moral standards with certainty? How do we account for the variation and diversity in moral codes within the world community? Is there such a thing as human nature from which basic moral standards are derived and lend themselves to the establishment of a natural law? What would modern day natural law thinkers such as John Finnis and Ronald Dworkin say on the issue of how we come to know our moral standards with certainty?

I personally find it impossible to avoid concluding that all peoples share certain fundamental motivations that govern human action such as a desire to seek the goods of self-preservation, procreation and social organization. But I do not know if these motivations constitute morality or ethics. If there is a natural law provided to mankind by God the creator, how do we explain acts of free choice and free will that depart from that natural law? Must one be a Christian and abide concepts of sin to define immorality?
3grnowl
New Trial Member

Post by 3grnowl »

An action is immoral if it was committed with intent to cause harm without any reasonable justification.
Lemmmons

Post by Lemmmons »

This has always been an interesting question. But, to me it is a easy question to answer. The typical problem that comes along with answering this question is that people are trying to answer it by distinguishing between a right or wrong action. Any person could see their actions as right by them even if another person thought them as immoral. This is because a person's immoral action could serve as purposeful to the person acting it out. For instance if someone killed for the purpose of self defense, one could see this situation as being immoral for killing, yet justified or a right action for the purpose of survival. This subjective situation is where morality seems definable by the moment. Yet morality should be universal because emotions are universal. All humans can feel similar emotional reactions to completely different levels of circumstances. For example a starving child in Africa can feel the same level of joy when finding bread, while an American business man feels joy off of finally making that big sale. Both of these causes of joy would be taken for granted if presented to the other person. So, the emotion is subjective to the individual, yet it is still a universal experience that can define moral behavior. Although it is true that emotions are subjective, there is still this knowledge that a positive emotion represents goodness. And although one could argue that a killer could feel positive emotion when murdering... the knowledge that this is immoral is still known by the wise. For a wise person takes everything into account before concluding, just as a person writing a scholarly essay has to be unbiased. So, if every person's knowledge on what constitutes right action was taken into account, then the the right answer would arise because of a person's understanding of what actions constitute positivity. Now you could say that a killer would skew that answer... but then you have to ask... did they take everyone's opinions into account? Do they fall within the definition of wise? In which case a killer's immoral nature is not ignored by the wise yet it does not subvert the truth and meaning of virtuous behavior.

So all in all... the person that killed for self defense would not have had been confronted with the need to kill had the original attacker taken their victim's perception into account and/or had been wise enough to not want to harm in the first place. To focus on if it is immoral to kill in self defense is just diverging from the truth that immorality has negative causes...

I feel that this answer also brings light to the topic of what constitutes harming certain animals verses others (including humans)... in that you could ask... would the animal be emotionally effected if a human were to be harmed? I'm not justifying the harming of animals, but it shows why most humans are against harming dogs and other humans verses every other animal.
Wuliheron

Post by Wuliheron »

Mob rule determines such things, that is, you either rule the mob or they rule you. When the lynch mobs attack their victims they are demonstrating what they consider to be immoral and how they determine what is immoral.
Rayliikanen
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Post by Rayliikanen »

I think when the coyote is roasting the roadrunner over a fire that's immoral. But I'll bet the coyote isn't thinking this while he's licking his chops.
Namthebabe

Post by Namthebabe »

Whatever the individual determines as fit, then this is moral. no matter the limit/scope of the action.
boagie

Post by boagie »

philoreaderguy wrote:What makes an action immoral? How do we know if a certain choice, action, or behavior is immoral?

"philoreaderguy,

Well certainly an action is not moral until it is deemed so by a conscious subject, it is a judgement after the fact of action. I would say that if the action in its intent wished to inflict more pain and suffering on another than would normally be their lot, then this is immoral. Any intended action which had as its goal to inhibit another's life force or will to power, can be said to be immoral. Just an added thought, is indifference amoral or immoral, if through indifference one does noting to releave the suffering of another.
Nothing in the world in and of itself has meaning, but only in relation to a biological subject. Boagie
Rayliikanen
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Post by Rayliikanen »

If one fails to act like a good Samaritan it's amoral.

Amoral is when one chooses not to do good, even though it is within our power to do good. We are all amoral, but not necessarily immoral.
Namthebabe

Post by Namthebabe »

3grnowl wrote:An action is immoral if it was committed with intent to cause harm without any reasonable justification.
Who cares about harm?

Anything goes.
Whythislife

Post by Whythislife »

According to Kant, an action is immoral if you are acting in a way toward others in ways that you would not want everyone else to act toward others, yourself included. I read that the Kant thought the Golden Rule was derived from his categorical imperative.

I try to live by the golden rule. An action is immoral if I would not want that action done toward myself and if it somehow violates the rights or causes harm to another person. It is difficult to define exactly what makes an action immoral.

It would be immoral to steal bread to feed my hungry family, because I would not want bread stolen from me.
Thinking critical
Favorite Philosopher: A.C Grayling

Post by Thinking critical »

Namthebabe wrote: (Nested quote removed.)

Who cares about harm?

Anything goes.
So I take you would have no animosity towards someone that beat one of your family members to an inch of their life then?
This cocky little cognitive contortionist will straighten you right out
Majesticmind
New Trial Member

Post by Majesticmind »

Morality is predicated upon our subjective judgment. Good thing there's intersubjectivity! :mrgreen:

I personally believe immorality is the negation of another's conscious existence; it is the total disregard for the commonality we humans share. Any action that must be justified using solipsism is approaching the epitome of immorality.
Gracehill
New Trial Member

Post by Gracehill »

For me,moral is an act of goodness. When we know that the certain thing is not good even if the effect is good we consider these as immoral because the act itself is bad. Like for example stealing money from others to donate to the poor one. It is immoral.
Misty
Premium Member

Post by Misty »

An immoral action, choice, behavior, is always detrimental to someone. So it would be wise to determine if ones action, choice, behavior will hurt anyone, on purpose.
Things are not always as they appear; it's a matter of perception.

The eyes can only see what the mind has, is, or will be prepared to comprehend.

I am Lion, hear me ROAR! Meow.
SubatomicAl1en
New Trial Member

Post by SubatomicAl1en »

I personally don't believe that there is good or bad, immoral or moral. I believe that everything is just in its own state, is just neutral, but people keep labeling things good or bad. There is always a reason for everything that happens, you can always trace things back to a fundamental reason, like a chain reaction. I think people label things good when they benefit themself and others equally, and label things bad when people do things more for their own satisfaction or benefits, or when other people get hurt, because humans have evolved to socialize and survive as a group.

Return to “Ethics and Morality”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream