Is intention more important than action?

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
anarchyisbliss

Post by anarchyisbliss »

MarkE wrote:Thank god too. If everyone viewed everything like that we'd be in anarchy. Strangely enough, that seems to be something you wouldn't mind.

If it was the last thing left on earth then are you saying you would kill for it?

You have a different set of morals and it doesn't make them any better, or smarter, or more advanced. You can't understand morality, it's not math, it's a feeling.

There are always little loopholes for someone to have separate morals from others. Morals are completely subjective, and i'm only trying to understand where you're coming from. You could kill someone without moral obligation not to? Or could you not steal based on your morals?
My morals aren't superior its the way I see morality as a whole ,and not that it is superior per se its just on a different level. And the candy bar example is saying wouldn't stealing a candy bar if it were the last thing left to eat on Earth be equally as immoral as murdering?

I would never kill a person because it is wrong to me, but it isn't wrong action in general and I don't think it should be illegalized simply because someone or even a group of people thinks that it is wrong action. I don't think that stealing is wrong action in all cases to me, but it is still illegal no matter the circumstances.

Regardless of one person or a group of people's moral perspective on a topic it shouldn't necessarily be legally dealt with in the same way, that is oligarchy.

I hope you see what I'm trying to say.
"If there is hope, it lies in the proles." - George Orwell, 1984
MarkE

Post by MarkE »

I sort of see. But the problem is that the situation determines the moral righteousness. If you stole that candy bar then essentially no one else could eat. But it's not like it could feed the whole world anyway (i suppose it's just not a perfect analogy).

I surely hope you're speaking in generalities and not about murder. Murder should always be wrong, life should be precious, and those who take lives should be treated with thusly.

I would say it's the moral majority, not a group. Society shapes people to learn that murder (and other things) are wrong and the consequences are well known - which is why i figure punishment is fine.
anarchyisbliss

Post by anarchyisbliss »

MarkE wrote: Murder should always be wrong, life should be precious, and those who take lives should be treated with thusly.
We live in a society and around other societies who are famous for capital punishment - the murdering of murderers. Murder isn't always wrong, as I have said before, it is simply inconvenient. People should be able to formulate their own morals and not be forded to agree with this moral majority you speak of. I do think live is precious, but for this country to send thousands of people to the electric chair or to give them lethal injections and then turn around and say that life is precious and should be appreciated - HYPOCRISY :!: . Like I said I would never murder, and maybe you would never murder and maybe the whole world would never murderer but that doesn't make it wrong.
MarkE

Post by MarkE »

that's a punishment though, not an unjustified killing (not saying all murders are unjustified)
anarchyisbliss

Post by anarchyisbliss »

MarkE wrote:that's a punishment though, not an unjustified killing (not saying all murders are unjustified)
By punishing murder with murder we are just perpetuating immorality. Murderers don't need to punished they need to be helped, in fact if people would just talk and really make an effort to help other people I might be a little more proud of my own species.
MarkE

Post by MarkE »

it's not perpetuating immorality if it helps to prevent other people from being murdered. People with different sets of morals don't act on them because of the consequences of the law. I'm not saying i support the death penalty or saying murderers are a lost cause, just that this is the most direct course of action that can be applied to the majority.
anarchyisbliss

Post by anarchyisbliss »

MarkE wrote:it's not perpetuating immorality if it helps to prevent other people from being murdered. People with different sets of morals don't act on them because of the consequences of the law. I'm not saying i support the death penalty or saying murderers are a lost cause, just that this is the most direct course of action that can be applied to the majority.
It does perpetuate immorality because your solving murder with more murder wchich just inspires people to murder. The best way to prevent murder would be to keep people from becoming murderers as children Besides murdering might even be a natural thing. Lions kill other lion who intrude on their property same with many other animals psecies and we probaby have somethign in us that tells us to murder someone who is in our way.
MarkE

Post by MarkE »

that might be true that murder is natural, but it's clear to everybody that murdering is against the law. Therefore, unacceptable. Which also happens to be one of the ways that we prevent people from becoming murderers.
We can't spend all our time teaching children about how killing is wrong... it's something that should be in everyones mind. Learning the consequences is an excellent deterrent.
There will always be deviants. But you can't attribute that to societies legal system.
anarchyisbliss

Post by anarchyisbliss »

MarkE wrote:that might be true that murder is natural, but it's clear to everybody that murdering is against the law. Therefore, unacceptable. Which also happens to be one of the ways that we prevent people from becoming murderers.
We can't spend all our time teaching children about how killing is wrong... it's something that should be in everyones mind. Learning the consequences is an excellent deterrent.
There will always be deviants. But you can't attribute that to societies legal system.
Just because it's against the law doesn't mean it is wrong. It used to be against the law for blacks to hold office, that doesn't mean that blacks are incapable of being politicians. However I do agree that it is clearly against the law, although I don't think that seeing consequences prevents murderers from surfacing. obviously there are people who need to be talked to and given attention and thats all they need a simple conversation with someone could be the difference between a murderer and preventing the creation of one.
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
The admin formerly known as Scott
Favorite Philosopher: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes »

MarkE wrote:I surely hope you're speaking in generalities and not about murder. Murder should always be wrong, life should be precious, and those who take lives should be treated with thusly.
But murder is defined in part by intent. A person cannot be convicted of murder unless they are convicted of intent. Without the horrific intent, a homicide could be manslaughter not murder. Crazy people often kill and do not get convicted of murder because they are judged to be too out of their mind to have the understanding and intent of murder. It is intent the makes the difference. Criminal liability depends on the mens rea.

So intent is very important when judging the actions of people, which MarkE has unwittingly shown by giving the example of murder.
My entire political philosophy summed up in one tweet.

"The mind is a wonderful servant but a terrible master."

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
ape

Post by ape »

Scott wrote: But murder is defined in part by intent. A person cannot be convicted of murder unless they are convicted of intent. Without the horrific intent, a homicide could be manslaughter not murder. Crazy people often kill and do not get convicted of murder because they are judged to be too out of their mind to have the understanding and intent of murder. It is intent the makes the difference. Criminal liability depends on the mens rea.

So intent is very important when judging the actions of people, which MarkE has unwittingly shown by giving the example of murder.
ape:
Xlnt!
Thus Mens Rea/Guilty Mind/Malice-afore-thought makes me guilty of murder even when I don't take physical life. qed.
Matthew 5: 21Ye have heard that it was said of them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment:

22But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment:
and [you have heard that] whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say [in Hate of fools], Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.

People are only angry with others without cause when they first hate others.
And all hatred for any person, place or thing is without cause and thus is the MR: Mens Rea because all are owed Love and Respect.
John 15:
25But this cometh to pass, that the word might be fulfilled that is written in their law, They hated me without a cause.
Marvin_Edwards
Favorite Philosopher: William James

Re: Is intention more important than action?

Post by Marvin_Edwards »

coffeeprincess wrote: March 14th, 2008, 12:59 am Do your intentions define your level of personal morality? Or do your actions?

If this question needs any more explanation you probably shouldn't try to answer it.
I like to distinguish morality from ethics. For me morality is about the intent and ethics is about the rules. Kant suggested that the only virtue that was incorruptible was a "good will". Any other virtue, like intelligence, loyalty, courage, etc. could also serve evil intention, like robbing a bank. But a good will seeks the best good and least harm for everyone, even when it accidentally causes harm due to our fallibility.

In ethics, the moral intent seeks rules that produce the best good and least harm for everyone. So, morality is the meta-ethic of ethics, and the criteria by which rules are judged.
Marvin_Edwards
Favorite Philosopher: William James

Re:

Post by Marvin_Edwards »

Freeman wrote: March 19th, 2008, 12:02 pm I agree that the outcome is the ultimate foundation in a situation.

If you do kill someone and they're a child molester, does it matter if you knew about his perversion before you killed him or after? Clearly your intention whether it was to kill a regular person or to kill a child molester still yielded the same outcome, and in the end it didn't matter what your intentions were, you still rightfully punished him either way.
This brings up the other side, the rule side. There is a moral benefit to supporting the rule system itself. And that means that shooting the child molester would be bad, because it violates the rule of law. Encouraging vigilante or vengeance is likely to cause more harm than good in the long run. So, it does not serve moral intent.

Return to “Ethics and Morality”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream