How do you feel about vengeance?

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
Truthhunter
New Trial Member

Re: How do you feel about vengeance?

Post by Truthhunter » October 7th, 2017, 8:35 am

LuckyR wrote:
So if I understand you correctly, you feel there is no role for vengeance in the modern world, also justice equals vengeance, so is there a role for justice in the modern world?
Correct. Justice had always been synonymous with vengeance. There is a societal notion that vengeance equates to some form of atonement. People pleading for justice typically desire some equal form of retribution as if it restors some kind of moral equilibrium. As long as that is the accepted view of justice I will not support it. I support more productive and rational measures.

LuckyR

Re: How do you feel about vengeance?

Post by LuckyR » October 9th, 2017, 4:12 am

Truthhunter wrote:
LuckyR wrote:
So if I understand you correctly, you feel there is no role for vengeance in the modern world, also justice equals vengeance, so is there a role for justice in the modern world?
Correct. Justice had always been synonymous with vengeance. There is a societal notion that vengeance equates to some form of atonement. People pleading for justice typically desire some equal form of retribution as if it restors some kind of moral equilibrium. As long as that is the accepted view of justice I will not support it. I support more productive and rational measures.
Uummm, no. The two are not universally accepted as synonymous. That may be your opinion, but you are overstating your influence. In current usage, vengeance is typically considered to refer to actions outside the area of the formal justice system.

In addition, a major goal of the justice system is to isolate troublemakers from society to protect society. Any thoughts on that goal?
"As usual... it depends."