How do you feel about vengeance?

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
LuckyR

Re: How do you feel about vengeance?

Post by LuckyR »

Kinyonga wrote:
LuckyR wrote:If I am thinking about the community, part of my calculations take the negative impact on the bully into account. When I think of my family, I don't.

For me personally, I am a #2, person, but as mentioned, I have no qualms about bumping up to #1 to get an optimal outcome for my family.
Ah, I see. I suppose I don't look at things in terms of community or family, more just in terms of individuals. Of course the community has to be taken into consideration if, say, its downfall will cause more harm than good to the individuals.
Hhmmm... Sounds like we are reaching a consensus... perhaps?
"As usual... it depends."
Kinyonga

Post by Kinyonga »

LuckyR wrote:Hhmmm... Sounds like we are reaching a consensus... perhaps?
Hm, maybe. Or at least arguments are getting exhausted.
I don't really understand why you would want to be guilty of the same wrong as the bully, though. Just because he hit you/your child first doesn't mean you need to descend to his level and hit him back.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Kinyonga wrote:
LuckyR wrote:Hhmmm... Sounds like we are reaching a consensus... perhaps?
Hm, maybe. Or at least arguments are getting exhausted.
I don't really understand why you would want to be guilty of the same wrong as the bully, though. Just because he hit you/your child first doesn't mean you need to descend to his level and hit him back.
Well, for one when it concerns my family, I am ends driven not means driven. To get the optimal outcome for my family I will use any tool in the toolbox.
Kinyonga

Post by Kinyonga »

Sorry for my absence! Computer problems...
LuckyR wrote:when it concerns my family, I am ends driven not means driven
Yes, but what is the end here?
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Kinyonga wrote:Sorry for my absence! Computer problems...
LuckyR wrote:when it concerns my family, I am ends driven not means driven
Yes, but what is the end here?
To quote myself : "To get the optimal outcome for my family..."
Socrateaze
Favorite Philosopher: George Carlin

Post by Socrateaze »

Scott wrote:[The following topic is featured as a leadup to the May philosophy book of the month discussion of Holding Fire.]

If you haven't already, check out this blog post I made: Vengeance, Payback, Revenge

What do you think? How do you dissuade people from vengeance? What arguments do you have against vengeance? What do you see as the flaws in the philosophy of an eye for an eye? How can we convince people not to make policy choices based on vengeance?

Like anybody, I may succumb to emotions in the heat of the moment (which is almost always regrettable), but I generally do not support vengeance and instead choose compassion. But I want to know what arguments you have against vengeance.
I don't have anything against vengeance, as long as what we do is reasonable and within the parameters of the law. I am against criminal acts and do not support any vengeance that could lead to breaking the law. Some people get away with terrible deeds and they take it to their graves; they do not pay for what they've done on earth. At the very least we should take a firm stand against such people and not let them back into our lives. Often we hope that people can change, but in fact they often don't and end up exploiting and damaging us over the years. And what they say that vengeance doesn't make you feel good, that is certainly not true. I found great release from the payback I've given others and have made peace as well.

But like I say, within the parameters of the law. We often never get justice, so we have to make our owns justice - even if it is in small ways.

- If you can paint the wind, I will tell you the secrets of the soul.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Socrateaze wrote:
Scott wrote:[The following topic is featured as a leadup to the May philosophy book of the month discussion of Holding Fire.]

If you haven't already, check out this blog post I made: Vengeance, Payback, Revenge

What do you think? How do you dissuade people from vengeance? What arguments do you have against vengeance? What do you see as the flaws in the philosophy of an eye for an eye? How can we convince people not to make policy choices based on vengeance?

Like anybody, I may succumb to emotions in the heat of the moment (which is almost always regrettable), but I generally do not support vengeance and instead choose compassion. But I want to know what arguments you have against vengeance.
I don't have anything against vengeance, as long as what we do is reasonable and within the parameters of the law. I am against criminal acts and do not support any vengeance that could lead to breaking the law. Some people get away with terrible deeds and they take it to their graves; they do not pay for what they've done on earth. At the very least we should take a firm stand against such people and not let them back into our lives. Often we hope that people can change, but in fact they often don't and end up exploiting and damaging us over the years. And what they say that vengeance doesn't make you feel good, that is certainly not true. I found great release from the payback I've given others and have made peace as well.

But like I say, within the parameters of the law. We often never get justice, so we have to make our owns justice - even if it is in small ways.
While I agree that vengeance has it's legitimate place, I differ in that getting back at the perp, or making sure they pay for their transgression or making myself feel better are none of my reasoning for the action. Rather to alter future interactions for me and mine with the perp such that the risk of future issues is minimized.
Socrateaze

Post by Socrateaze »

LuckyR wrote:
Socrateaze wrote: (Nested quote removed.)

While I agree that vengeance has it's legitimate place, I differ in that getting back at the perp, or making sure they pay for their transgression or making myself feel better are none of my reasoning for the action. Rather to alter future interactions for me and mine with the perp such that the risk of future issues is minimized.
I am in agreement with that, but it does give a feel of release and justice.

LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Socrateaze wrote:
LuckyR wrote: (Nested quote removed.)

I don't dispute the accuracy of your observation, but I consider it a minor set of side benefits
Socrateaze

Post by Socrateaze »

LuckyR wrote:
Socrateaze wrote: (Nested quote removed.)

I don't dispute the accuracy of your observation, but I consider it a minor set of side benefits
The first and foremost, like you say, is to get people to back off and no longer abuse you, in that we are in agreement. But the weight and injustice one carries around is just as important. Don't misunderstand me, if I can resolve something peacefully, I would; I am talking about that special kind of fellow or girl that set their perpetual motion on you and the only thing that can stop them is their own medicine.

Commonsense2
New Trial Member

Post by Commonsense2 »

Sticky subject, vengeance. I for one am ambivalent. On the one hand, a measured response is satisfying only when you have the last word or you throw the final punch or whatnot. On the other hand, pacifism has the advantage that you only get insulted or clobbered once.
Ratwrangler
New Trial Member

Post by Ratwrangler »

This is my first post here on these forums, but I've read quite a few. I think some actions that might be considered vengeful would not actually be, depending on the anticipated or desired outcome of the action. When I was in elementary school, many decades ago, we had bullies. I was a small, skinny geek with glasses, so was occasionally a victim of one or more bullies about twice my weight. Several of us put up with it for the first few weeks of school, and then decided to gang up, at least six to one, on these bullies one at a time, and we eventually convinced them that picking on us was a bad idea. While I am not certain of the other kids' motives, I was willing to be a part of a gang beating in order to stop being a victim, and retaliation was probably not high on my list of concerns. Was this vengeance? Personally, I don't think so. I am not a person to hold a grudge, and I tend to forgive those who have wronged me. I tend to be more leery of them in the future, but retaliation is not part of my nature.

Based entirely upon my personal experiences, I would have to say that vengeance has no place in society. Retribution, fairly administered, is necessary for the redress of grievances. Removing a person from society because he is a danger to others is often necessary, but should we put him in a situation that could be considered inhumane, or even dangerous to him? I don't think so. When we find it necessary to do harm to someone just because they did harm, real or imagined, to you, we have a serious moral problem. Vengeance is what allows us to shun or lock away those who believe differently from us. It may seem oblique to some, but the Jim Crow laws were based on vengeance. A group of people, formerly downtrodden, came into their own, and certain other groups saw this as a major threat. When 'getting back at someone' becomes the primary concern for any actions by society, we need to reconsider how we view whatever is being decided. Recently, we have had a spate of news articles about unlawful activities, such as planting drugs, shootings, etc., by officers of the law. Now we have a backlash of actions hamstringing our police, all based on retaliation, not on each case. Many of the investigations focus on a 'systemic problem' within a particular police force, rather than just focusing on the officer that made the bad judgement call. I do not think this is the correct approach. Focus on the individual. If there is a systemic problem, it will come out eventually.
Kinyonga

Post by Kinyonga »

LuckyR wrote:To quote myself : "To get the optimal outcome for my family..."
Oh, yes, sorry! I shouldn't go on the computer when I'm exhausted ;)
I agree with getting the optimal outcome for one's family, but to me there's a limit to that, which is causing physical/moral harm to someone else.

Welcome to the forum, Ratwrangler, and thank you for your interesting post! I certainly agree with what you said here:
Ratwrangler wrote:Removing a person from society because he is a danger to others is often necessary, but should we put him in a situation that could be considered inhumane, or even dangerous to him? I don't think so. When we find it necessary to do harm to someone just because they did harm, real or imagined, to you, we have a serious moral problem. Vengeance is what allows us to shun or lock away those who believe differently from us.
Truthhunter
New Trial Member

Post by Truthhunter »

Vengeance is the nature of the human condition. A primitive vestigial survival mechanism that has no place in the modern world. It accomplishes nothing. That said, defensive and prohibitive measures to protect others, say through a penal system, can often come across as a force of vengeance. To me the term justice is synonymous with vengeance and the penal system rather then being a force of deterrence and rehabilitation instead represents a system of vengeance. While tactical and systematic measures are necessary to maintain the equitable law and order of society it is necessary to ensure that such forms of "people herding" are developed through a critical analysis of the factors contributing to deterrence and rehabilitation rather then vengeance aka justice. Those who write the laws of a "justice system" should possess an understanding of the human animal of which behaviors they wish to steer. For those with such power should be the teachers of the situation. Only those who have risen above then human condition and its shackles should be able to assert such authority and control of others. Without such a high perspective they too drown in the sea of human primitivity and fall victim to its fallacies and to vengeance.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Truthhunter wrote:Vengeance is the nature of the human condition. A primitive vestigial survival mechanism that has no place in the modern world. It accomplishes nothing. That said, defensive and prohibitive measures to protect others, say through a penal system, can often come across as a force of vengeance. To me the term justice is synonymous with vengeance and the penal system rather then being a force of deterrence and rehabilitation instead represents a system of vengeance. While tactical and systematic measures are necessary to maintain the equitable law and order of society it is necessary to ensure that such forms of "people herding" are developed through a critical analysis of the factors contributing to deterrence and rehabilitation rather then vengeance aka justice. Those who write the laws of a "justice system" should possess an understanding of the human animal of which behaviors they wish to steer. For those with such power should be the teachers of the situation. Only those who have risen above then human condition and its shackles should be able to assert such authority and control of others. Without such a high perspective they too drown in the sea of human primitivity and fall victim to its fallacies and to vengeance.
So if I understand you correctly, you feel there is no role for vengeance in the modern world, also justice equals vengeance, so is there a role for justice in the modern world?

Return to “Ethics and Morality”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream