Live as a coward or die as a hero?

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
Grotto19
Favorite Philosopher: Epictetus

Re: Live as a coward or die as a hero?

Post by Grotto19 »

Trinity wrote:Thank you for the civil discussion which ignored my post.

You guys and gals, apparently, from my point of view, don't have a clue.

Thanks.
What is it you have said that was ignored? I looked for it and see nothing that was not answered. If you are quite certain of what you want answered say so, though the answers you receive may not be ones you like.
Xris

Post by Xris »

Trinity wrote: (Nested quote removed.)

Apologize for the very late reply. With the exception of facing personal demons, your answer is very close to my own.

The fearless and unafraid, IMHO, are not "given" heroes. The fearless and unafraid might be worthy of admiration and esteem, and especially wonder, but IMHO, the hero is the person who is fearful and afraid and does the deed despite his/her being fearful and afraid.

AND, IMHO, cowards at one moment in their lives might well become heroes in some other moment. Seen it. At some level and degree, from elementary school to applying for social security, might have been both.
Trinity I apologise if you required me to simply agree with you.I had no objections to your post and nothing really to add.xris
Namthebabe

Post by Namthebabe »

People who are cowards never grow.
HIHIHIHIHI

Post by HIHIHIHIHI »

We are all cowards and heros; some more than others, perpetuating in the vacuum of space.
If you say you know me, then you do not know me.

If you think you know me, then you probably know me.
Narin
New Trial Member

Post by Narin »

I will reply to what your wrote shortly..
boagie

Post by boagie »

"Willowtreeme, I do agree that most persons can be influenced by a culture that prescribes certain behaviors, such as sacrificing one'sown life to save a child's life. I am a mother too, and I would give anything I have including my life to save my sons.

However, it is taken to be historical fact that during prolonged periods of famine , not only does ordinary social morality disappear, cannibalism appears and mothers eat their own children.This is a good strategy for survival of the group because a child cannot survive without a parent and mothers are valuable to the group as they can get the population viable again." quote

Belinda,

Where did you say your sons are living today, why I thought I saw one of them over at the old mill dam the other day---is that possible? could it be? He was looking rather plump, mostly white meat I believe, and he had mother tattooed on his chest---wonderful with fresh fava beans!! No offense intended just a little humor--ask the boys to give me a call won't you-------lol!!
Nothing in the world in and of itself has meaning, but only in relation to a biological subject. Boagie
Newme

Post by Newme »

Scott wrote:What do you think? Is it better to live as a coward or die as a hero?
Hi Scott,

I know this is philosophy and we're supposed to prioritize thinking over emoting, but when it comes to quick action, our emotions tend to rule. One's emotional intelligence and fitness at the time would determine the decision. I think, as you suggested, that it depends on the cause - but I'd rather live and die with courage than live and die with paralyzing fear.

As it is, it seems that many "live quite lives of desperation," which may be why some of us post here. Many have dreams "afraid of waking, that never takes the chance." A coward or hero, IMO is not made in a single moment, but over a lifetime - a collection of choices.
“Empty is the argument of the philosopher which does not relieve any human suffering.” - Epicurus
Trinity

Re:

Post by Trinity »

Mike A. wrote:I do not think one's demise is a prequisite for 'earning' the title hero, or for that matter, coward.

There are, to be fair, all sorts of definitions for hero. As there are all sorts of definitions for coward. In the eye of the beholder one might opine.

A mirror is helpful when trying to sort out the two, I think.

It seems clear to me the two sides [hero / coward] are objective and subjective depending on if one assigns one of the values to other or to self. Then too, there are a range of values for the two.

I want to live. How I live - good or bad - is part of the decision tree of life, eh?
A hero doesn't think, IMHO.

In His/Her life the person responds to the moment.

I'm afraid of heights and roller coaster rides. Never had a problem with airplanes . . . but . . . getting on a thrill ride terrified me. Still does.

Military heroes and civilian heroes are people, one by discipline and training, the other by some inborn sense, abandon caution and perform what the rest of us see as heroism.

There is no decision tree of life . . . [with due respect] . . . depending upon the circumstances and choices we made as children . . . we become one prone to be one or the other . . . even when bullied.

Has anyone ventured a list of the qualities of the hero?
Theophane
Favorite Philosopher: C.S. Lewis

Post by Theophane »

"Is it better to be a live coward or a dead hero?"
Is this cowardice or heroism derive from how others perceive me?

To live and be thought of by all as a hero, whilst privately knowing yourself to be a coward, that would be a living hell! What if I died a heroic death but for some reason no one understood or appreciated what I'd done as heroic? If I know what I did was heroic, I think I can go to my Maker without regret.
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

Namthebabe wrote:People who are cowards never grow.
List some.

In some circumstances, especially in high school, I might have been a coward . . . some names and circumstances come to mind . . . even now . . . had not known on graduation I was doing University of Maryland classes, and later served.

Also . . . Kise offered me a black belt in six months. Why? Google, kise, Okinawa karate.

The idea being existential. Why would this guy offer me a shortcut to a black belt . . . from uiechi-ryu? 2nd degree brown belt?

Google, social security application. how to. What do I know or have to tell you . . . as philosophy?

I'm just an old guy using online services to apply for social security. What do I know about anything?
boagie

Post by boagie »

:) Tomatoes, tomatoes!!! If your dumb enough to let it greatly effect you to be labeled a coward, you will probably do something really stupid before to long and die young anyway. The term hero is over and misused, only a real case of a heroic act clarify s it in our minds. The ultimate sacrifice, that deserves respect, and will always evoke a humbleness and a bowed head from the sidelines.
Nothing in the world in and of itself has meaning, but only in relation to a biological subject. Boagie
Fishing
Favorite Philosopher: saint exupery

Post by Fishing »

Well I think this comes to the question of whether you believe in something greater than yourself, and whether that's worth believing in at all. I don't think that's something you can impose on anyone; everyone bases her existence on one of the two axioms: (1) there is something greater than myself or (2) there is nothing greater than myself.

Some people admit to having (2) as their axiom; most people claim (1) as their axiom but secretly harbor (2) in their hearts (many religious people are like this). I think relatively few truly believe there is something greater than themselves, enough to sacrifice themselves for it in a sincere act of heroism. I think these people express true humanity, while everyone else (the majority) are still trapped (for better or for worse) by animal instincts.
Newme

Post by Newme »

Fishing wrote:Well I think this comes to the question of whether you believe in something greater than yourself, and whether that's worth believing in at all. I don't think that's something you can impose on anyone; everyone bases her existence on one of the two axioms: (1) there is something greater than myself or (2) there is nothing greater than myself.

Some people admit to having (2) as their axiom; most people claim (1) as their axiom but secretly harbor (2) in their hearts (many religious people are like this). I think relatively few truly believe there is something greater than themselves, enough to sacrifice themselves for it in a sincere act of heroism. I think these people express true humanity, while everyone else (the majority) are still trapped (for better or for worse) by animal instincts.
Yes, this reminds me of the importance of having goals, otherwise living a directionless, or even misguided life, based on "animalistic" whims and pleasures.
Theophane wrote:Is this cowardice or heroism derive from how others perceive me?

To live and be thought of by all as a hero, whilst privately knowing yourself to be a coward, that would be a living hell! What if I died a heroic death but for some reason no one understood or appreciated what I'd done as heroic? If I know what I did was heroic, I think I can go to my Maker without regret.
Good point. Truth is found in more than one perspective - and often seemingly conflicting perspectives. IE: One may be considered a hero, for being killed, yet it could be that they hurt or killed someone else and the consequence was them being killed. There are always 2 sides to every story, especially when it comes to contraversial situations with opposing forces. One may be considered a hero by some, and a terrorist by others.

"The whole history of the world is summed up in the fact that, when nations are strong, they are not always just, and when they wish to be just, they are no longer strong." -Winston Churchill

"You get only the amount of justice you can afford, no more, no less." -Wilfrid Sheed

"There are no whole truths; all truths are half-truths. It is trying to treat them as whole truths that plays the devil." -A. N. Whitehead

"The ambition narrows as the mind expands." -G. K. Chesterton

"The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduces them. Whoever can supply them with illusions is easily their master; whoever attempts to destroy their illusions is always their victim." -Gustave Le Bon

"Insanity in individuals is rare—but in groups, parties, nations, and epochs, it is the rule." -Friedrich Nietzsche

"The worst sin towards our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them; that’s the essence of inhumanity." -George Bernard Shaw

"The human mind is generally far more eager to praise or blame than to describe and define. It wants to make every distinction a distinction of value." -C. S. Lewis
“Empty is the argument of the philosopher which does not relieve any human suffering.” - Epicurus
Keithprosser3

Post by Keithprosser3 »

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors: we borrow it from our children."

Yeah, but what have future generations ever done for us?
Newme

Post by Newme »

Keithprosser3 wrote:"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors: we borrow it from our children."

Yeah, but what have future generations ever done for us?
And what have we done for our ancestors?

Return to “Ethics and Morality”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream