Live as a coward or die as a hero?

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
Juice

Post by Juice »

I88-No if someone is inherently a coward as the word is defined then they are not brave.

Although I understand if what you are saying as far as "labeling" may be concerned but it still does not negate a characteristic that can be determined if observed.

My original post here concerned monuments and to whom monuments are built would you see a monument of Niel Armstrong and consider him partly coward and by what standard would he be considered as such?

Consider not only Armstrong's accomplishment in space and war but also his desire to live his life in quite academia. Would not a monument to such a man inspire others towards a life lived in brave excellence to serve humanity?
When everyone looks to better their own future then the future will be better for everyone.

An explanation of cause is not a justification by reason.
C. S. Lewis

Fight the illusion!
Invictus_88

Post by Invictus_88 »

People are brave at some times, and cowardly at others. People who commit the lowest cowardly deeds have also almost certainly been brave at other times. People who do the greatest deeds of heroism have also no doubt also done cowardly things.

You're failing to see through the illusion, the fiction of the 'absolute hero'. There is no such thing.

Take an example:
If you were trapped in a burning car and a bystander bravely freed you, you'd consider them a hero. The mother of his children, who he abandoned, whould nonetheless think him a coward.

It's perfectly natural that every individual is both a corward in some situations and a hero in others. All that differs is which bits we get the chance to see, which bits we pay most attention to.
Juice

Post by Juice »

I88-We have a language barrier here.

I submit that there are brave people and cowards. There are brave acts and cowardly acts.

Monuments are created to celebrate either a brave act or a brave individual. Would you deny a monument Marie Curie? I could not find an ounce of cowardice in her life.
When everyone looks to better their own future then the future will be better for everyone.

C. S. Lewis

Fight the illusion!
Invictus_88

Post by Invictus_88 »

With respect, you didn't bloody know her. There are statues of Churchill, and there was cowardice there. He let the Luftwaffe bomb the Channel Islands becuase he was afraid to declare the islands undefended. And they were indeed undefended.

Any statue, of any human being, is a statue of someone who was at some times courageous and at others cowardly.

It really is that simple. Having done deeds worthy of remembrance does not magically remove all trace of cowadice from one's life.
Juice

Post by Juice »

I88-So please tell me what cowardly act Marie Curie and Niel Armstrong committed since I still have no clue what criteria you impose to advance or dispute your concerns.

C. S. Lewis

Fight the illusion!
Invictus_88

Post by Invictus_88 »

I didn't know them (and nor did you), so I can't list them (nor can you claim their perfection), but given that there's no such thing in reality as a moral saint they must have at some point ducked out of a responsibility, told a lie to make things easier, or in one of the many little ways we humans do - done something cowardly.
boagie

Post by boagie »

Only through subjective evaluations are there meanings at all. In order for there to be people who are categorized as heroic or cowards particularly full time as it being their nature, it says more about the person making the evaluation then it does about subject/s involved. I would say a very unrealistic view of human nature. Bravery itself is not possiable without the presence of fear, meaning if you fear something not, it is quite impossiable to react to it bravely.
Juice

Post by Juice »

I88-The entire premise is non-sequitur fallacy.

If I say that I have never committed a cowardly act. The response will be that I have since "everyone" commits a cowardly acts. And furthermore if some can be described as brave that description is false since the person purposing that description did not know the person and could not possible know if that person ever committed a cowardly act.

But, the rational is that since no one can know another person then no one can know whether or not that person has ever committed a brave or cowardly act as applicable to any and all persons.

Therefore the only person who can describe anyone as brave or cowardly is a person who has direct knowledge of that persons action every second of his existence which the person themself falls into that category.

So, you don't know me and I do and I say that I have never committed a cowardly act which by your standard is enough since you don't know me and I do.

C. S. Lewis

Fight the illusion!
Homicidal Pacifist

Post by Homicidal Pacifist »

Juice -

Are you saying that you have never behaved in a cowardly way? Not even as a child?

And I dare to say that actions done for the sake of survivalism are perhaps done out of a fear of death. Whether it be your survival or someone else's; do you support war because you fear annihilation?
"There is one thing stronger than all the armies of the world,
and that is an idea whose time has come."
boagie

Post by boagie »

Juice

To say another human being is nothng but that which would constitute a coward or nothing but what would constitute a hero is simply an extremely insufficient understanding of humanity and the human condition. I suggest that if you have never been overwhelmed by fear, it is truely a wonder you are here with us today. You seem to be stating you are nothing but virtue, now why do I have difficulty with such a claim?
JELLEN

Post by JELLEN »

I think I understand the statement "A coward dies a thousand deaths, the hero dies but once". because of the many people I have talked with who froze in the face of danger and stood by helplessly while someones fate may have been in their hands.I do not consider these frozen people cowards but they do. In counselling these people I found that they were in a constant atate of regret. I have talked with people who are considered heroes by most for their bravery and most of them do not consider it a brave act, just a necessary act and they hope that if they were in trouble someone would do the same. I have seen with my eyes some tremendous acts of bravery and I think all people would want to follow in their footsteps. I know I do.
Juice

Post by Juice »

HP+boagie-My response was a critique of I88' assertion that no one can be described as brave or cowardly since one does not have access to the entirety of that persons experience and everyone commits brave and cowardly acts. My point is that both conditions are subjective evaluation by others who set a subjective criteria for each therefore to impose any concrete standard and to make a clause which cannot be realistically validated is fallacious.

I wish that I could set a standard for myself that others have bestowed on me. Trying to even imagine or live up to what I have witnessed and experienced myself of what a human being is capable of so far in my life is daunting to say the least and I have no clue what tomorrow will bring.

I can tell you that I have some pretty well written citations which grace my "I love me wall" I remember when they were read during ceremonies, and although I was filed with pride at being recognized, I don't remember what I felt or thought at the time of the action only that I did what was needed to be done, what I was trained to do and accepted responsibility for doing. I don't remember thinking of myself they way I am described in those citations. I like to think that I did what every human being would do to the best of their abilities given any circumstance.

To be honest I have been in some harrowing circumstances and don't remember being fearful for myself but more fearful of not doing something right or doing the wrong thing which might cause harm. Thinking about it now is it possible that I was selfish by not wanting to appear inadequate or incompetent? Is that cowardly?

I guess or suppose that I assisted in saving lives with God's help. I get Christmas cards every year from these people. The most remarkable thing is how they tell me as much about their lives for that year as possible in a few short paragraphs. I save those too and even thinking about it now tears me up and I don't know why that should be.

C. S. Lewis

Fight the illusion!
boagie

Post by boagie »

Juice,

It sounds like you have much to be proud of, you rose to the occasion. Man is a frail thing faced with the indifference of nature or that of a hostile environment. It is however the frailty the imperfection of the individual that is loveable, perfection is a Greek craving, unreal and unloveable. There may be down the road a circumstance where fear does overwhelm, and you can take solace in knowing a failure here does not constitute a full representation of what you are.
Invictus_88

Post by Invictus_88 »

You can describe someone as brave or cowardly. It's normal to describe people in relation to particular parts of them which are presented to us.

The problem is that you, Juice, try to define them as brave or cowardly.
Juice

Post by Juice »

Who decides who is charitable and uncharitable? Who decides who is brave and cowardly? Is it cowardly to be uncharitableto others and brave to say no I have to care of my family?

Monuments are built to those who have achieved monumental feats whether in character or deed and by definition where applicable brave.

There are heroes and there are cowards by dint of the proffered definitions and accepted ideals. Marie Curie is a hero by dint of character as is Niel Armstrong. Monuments to the two serve to inspire by more than any considered aspect of cowardice ever could.

If an individual is considered a coward and strives and commits an act of bravery then he is forever brave since that act can never be taken away even if he reverts to a cowardly character forever after since heroics and bravery are that which is striven to attain.

C. S. Lewis

Fight the illusion!

Return to “Ethics and Morality”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream