Is it OK to have sex with kids?

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
Misty
Premium Member

Re: Is it OK to have sex with kids?

Post by Misty »

Humans should be both physically and mentally adult before being subjected to sex. It would be good to also be financially sound but is not really a prerequisite for having sex. Kids having sex with other kids is a separate topic. This thread is asking "Is it OK to have sex with kids? The answer is still absolutely NOT. NO NO NO! An adult who is mentally sound and/or not criminal would not be asking this question. Where is common sense???
Things are not always as they appear; it's a matter of perception.

The eyes can only see what the mind has, is, or will be prepared to comprehend.

I am Lion, hear me ROAR! Meow.
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

"Where is common sense???"

Not that common I'm afraid.

I sometimes think that philosophers are guilty of over thinking an issue. Sometmes an idea that repulses the vast majority of people is repulsive.

Circular, yes! rational, no! True definitely.
The difference between Truth and Falsity is not a question of volume.
Kingkool
Favorite Philosopher: Alexander the Great

Post by Kingkool »

I personally feel sex is portayed as this beautiful thing between a man and a woman who love eachother. There is recreation and procreation. Niether of which are evil. Sex is a fun activity, or a means to an end.

The problem with sex with a child is more often than not, the child doesn't know the physical, societal, or mental dangers.

Physical: STD's, fissures, infections, ect..

Societal: shunning, being viewed as "scarred", ect.

Mental: letting these societal dangers get to you.

If it is proven that a child knows and understands these dangers, then let them do what they want.
“In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.”- Douglas Adams A Hitchhiker's Guide To the Galaxy
Misty
Premium Member

Post by Misty »

Kingkool wrote:I personally feel sex is portayed as this beautiful thing between a man and a woman who love eachother. There is recreation and procreation. Niether of which are evil. Sex is a fun activity, or a means to an end.

The problem with sex with a child is more often than not, the child doesn't know the physical, societal, or mental dangers.

If it is proven that a child knows and understands these dangers, then let them do what they want.

Who is going to determine whether a child understands? Adults are to protect children not use them. This topic asks "Is it OK to have sex with a child", not about what a child understands. Please - Common Sense !

Xris

Post by Xris »

Any abuse of intellect on an immature mind must be condemned. If the result is sexual or mental abuse then it must be condemned. We must judge each event with understanding. A man with the mental age of a child can not be judged the same as a mentally mature man. Similarly two children under the age of consent should not be judged harshly.
Kingkool

Post by Kingkool »

Misty wrote:
Kingkool wrote:I personally feel sex is portayed as this beautiful thing between a man and a woman who love eachother. There is recreation and procreation. Niether of which are evil. Sex is a fun activity, or a means to an end.

Who is going to determine whether a child understands? Adults are to protect children not use them. This topic asks "Is it OK to have sex with a child", not about what a child understands. Please - Common Sense !
I said if a child understands the dangers of sex, and is still fine with the idea, then they should be allowed to have sex with whom ever they chose. I wasn't debating what a child understands, in fact, i said it is possible for children to either understand or not understand. The adult is not using a child who understands sex any more than if the adult was having sex with another adult.
“In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.”- Douglas Adams A Hitchhiker's Guide To the Galaxy
Misty
Premium Member

Post by Misty »

Kingkool,

The point is children are not emotionally or mentally mature enough to understand or handle sex. That is why there are laws to protect children from adults who think it is OK to molest or rape a child. The answer to the OP question is still an emphatic NO NO NO it is NOT OK to have sex with children. There is no argument that can make it right or OK.

Kingkool

Post by Kingkool »

Misty wrote:Kingkool,

The point is children are not emotionally or mentally mature enough to understand or handle sex. That is why there are laws to protect children from adults who think it is OK to molest or rape a child. The answer to the OP question is still an emphatic NO NO NO it is NOT OK to have sex with children. There is no argument that can make it right or OK.
You are generalizing what a child can and can't handle based on your own childhood, and what society portrays sex to be. It is not ok to rape anyone, wether of legal age or not, because rape is against their will. But if a child is raised to know about sex from a young age, learned of the dangers of sex, and that eventually, they go through puberty, then they should be able to decide if they want to have sex or not. It is all based on your views of sex.
Xris

Post by Xris »

Kingkool wrote:
Misty wrote:Kingkool,

You are generalizing what a child can and can't handle based on your own childhood, and what society portrays sex to be. It is not ok to rape anyone, wether of legal age or not, because rape is against their will. But if a child is raised to know about sex from a young age, learned of the dangers of sex, and that eventually, they go through puberty, then they should be able to decide if they want to have sex or not. It is all based on your views of sex.
Why should they even be exposed to the point where they have to choose. Vulnerability is still there whatever they have been taught. Children should not be expected to make rational adult decisions. Children are not capable of withstanding pressure or persuasion. Any adult that wants sex with a child is the problem not the child that may have been seduced.
Kingkool

Post by Kingkool »

I suppose at that point it is up to the parents to decide wether or not they want to teach their children about sex. But sex is such a big part of society that they will find out on their own eventually.
Xris

Post by Xris »

Kingkool wrote:I suppose at that point it is up to the parents to decide wether or not they want to teach their children about sex. But sex is such a big part of society that they will find out on their own eventually.
What has this got to do with the subject? No ones denying sex education.
Misty
Premium Member

Post by Misty »

Xris wrote:
Kingkool wrote: You are generalizing what a child can and can't handle based on your own childhood, and what society portrays sex to be. It is not ok to rape anyone, wether of legal age or not, because rape is against their will. But if a child is raised to know about sex from a young age, learned of the dangers of sex, and that eventually, they go through puberty, then they should be able to decide if they want to have sex or not. It is all based on your views of sex.

You know nothing of my childhood. But your views make me wonder about your childhood. You are wrong and you should know better, that is if you are a mentally stable adult. Again, and for the last time I will answer this topic - it is NEVER OK for an adult to have sex with a child.

Gareth

Post by Gareth »

I think people would agree that a person who is not sufficeintly developed intellectually to make a reasoned choice is unable in any meaningful sense give consent. thus any one in that situation would be incapable of agreeing to sex and thus would render said sex as rape.

this leaves us with the question at what age in 'normal' human development does a child become someone who can make a choice in the sense of being to weigh up all posible outcomes and reason a course of behaviour.

I think I may have just raised the age of consent to 50 :)
The difference between Truth and Falsity is not a question of volume.
Memnon

Post by Memnon »

Has anyone read Michel Foucault dealing with a similar issue with consent? I thought it was interesting food for thought. It's called The Danger of Child Sexuality.

-- Updated Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:54 am to add the following --
Xris wrote:
Kingkool wrote:
What if the child seduced the adult?
Misty
Premium Member

Post by Misty »

Memnon wrote:Has anyone read Michel Foucault dealing with a similar issue with consent? I thought it was interesting food for thought. It's called The Danger of Child Sexuality.

-- Updated Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:54 am to add the following --
Xris wrote:What if the child seduced the adult?

An adult has the responsibility to decline if a child is acting in a seductive way. It is ALWAYS the adult who is responsible.

Return to “Ethics and Morality”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream