The Golden Rule, revised

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
Recoil
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell

Re: The Golden Rule, revised

Post by Recoil »

I feel this is a somewhat subjective rule, because you're assuming that everyone wants to be treated the same as you. Then again morality is subjective. But there are flaws in this concept, let's say a person that cuts themselves treats others how they want to be treated? I think the overall performance of the execution of the rule would be good though. I just don't see why people can't say "treat others nicely". Lol.
chazwyman

Post by chazwyman »

Recoil wrote:I feel this is a somewhat subjective rule, because you're assuming that everyone wants to be treated the same as you. Then again morality is subjective. But there are flaws in this concept, let's say a person that cuts themselves treats others how they want to be treated? I think the overall performance of the execution of the rule would be good though. I just don't see why people can't say "treat others nicely". Lol.
The consequence of a person who wants to be cut would be to allow other to be allowed to want to be cut, whether or not they wanted it - they would have the right to be cut. What is wrong with that? The golden rule would prevent someone achieving the right for another to cut them, it would only allow then the right.

You rule is less meaningful - if a person thinks being "nice" is to cut another to pieces, what then? If you apply that to the golden rule, then you would only allow a person who wants to be cut, to be cut should another want to cut them.
Misty
Premium Member

Post by Misty »

The Golden Rule is meant for people of sound mind and understanding. ' Do unto others as you would want done unto you' - implies if you want to be treated well - treat others well. Misapplying it's intent is actually what has been the discussion. People who are not of sound mind by (illness, intentional evil doers) cannot understand or practice the golden rule. Changing the golden rule to mean something different is not discussing the golden rule.
Things are not always as they appear; it's a matter of perception.

The eyes can only see what the mind has, is, or will be prepared to comprehend.

I am Lion, hear me ROAR! Meow.
Recoil

Post by Recoil »

chazwyman wrote: The consequence of a person who wants to be cut would be to allow other to be allowed to want to be cut, whether or not they wanted it - they would have the right to be cut. What is wrong with that? The golden rule would prevent someone achieving the right for another to cut them, it would only allow then the right.

You rule is less meaningful - if a person thinks being "nice" is to cut another to pieces, what then? If you apply that to the golden rule, then you would only allow a person who wants to be cut, to be cut should another want to cut them.
No, because nice is an objective meaning. It's not opinionated, like your own personal wants.
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr Seuss

"America's darkest days have always been followed by its finest hours." - Will McAvoy
Maldon007

Post by Maldon007 »

chazwyman wrote:
The consequence of a person who wants to be cut would be to allow other to be allowed to want to be cut, whether or not they wanted it - they would have the right to be cut. What is wrong with that? The golden rule would prevent someone achieving the right for another to cut them, it would only allow then the right.

But if a person wants to be cut by others, wouldn't he cut others?
chazwyman

Post by chazwyman »

Misty wrote:The Golden Rule is meant for people of sound mind and understanding. ' Do unto others as you would want done unto you' - implies if you want to be treated well - treat others well. Misapplying it's intent is actually what has been the discussion. People who are not of sound mind by (illness, intentional evil doers) cannot understand or practice the golden rule. Changing the golden rule to mean something different is not discussing the golden rule.
The golden rule as expressed by Kant applies equally to all people, mad or not. It's not about giving people the power to do unto other, but about the power to forebear upon actions that you could not apply generally.

-- Updated Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:57 pm to add the following --
Recoil wrote: No, because nice is an objective meaning. It's not opinionated, like your own personal wants.
"Nice" is not objective. Are your hands clean?? Then.. Be nice and rub my feet!!

-- Updated Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:58 pm to add the following --
Maldon007 wrote:
But if a person wants to be cut by others, wouldn't he cut others?
Only if they wanted to be cut. The general rule is it's okay to cut a person if they want it.
Recoil

Post by Recoil »

chazwyman wrote:

"Nice" is not objective. Are your hands clean?? Then.. Be nice and rub my feet!!
Yes, that would be a nice thing to do. I don't really understand your point here. I'm saying that the Golden Rule is flawed in that everyone takes it differently. If a satanist wants to be treated horribly then this is the perfect opportunity for him to take advantage and manipulate the words to his liking. But he really doesn't even have to manipulate anything.
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr Seuss

"America's darkest days have always been followed by its finest hours." - Will McAvoy
Maldon007

Post by Maldon007 »

I think it's Scott on here who says that feather on the table thing, it's not light/yes it is! Seems like what is happening here, in part.

Ah, found it-
...two people are sitting at a table with a feather on it, and one is adamantly screaming, "This feather is light!" and the other person is screaming, "This feather is NOT light!" We can imagine each person is convinced he is right and is stunned by the other person's refusal to accept the obvious truth, or what have you. But we may find out that the first person actually means to say that the feather is not heavy and the other person means to say the feather is darkly colored. They probably don't even disagree at all.
Elubas

Post by Elubas »

Lol, the OP is just being fastidious; I highly doubt that he doesn't know the intentions of the Golden Rule. By the way, the problem with treating someone the way "they need" is that you what you think they need, and what they think they need, could be totally different. Treating someone the way you think they want, on the other hand, is showing respect for the treatment they personally enjoy. You might think insulting someone is what they need, but that's your opinion; it's more respectful to give in to what they want, within reason of course. It shows that it's not all about what you think; most likely, treating them how they want will make them more satisfied. Obviously, when it comes to children, you need to make some adjustments.
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Jinxy wrote:I've only been a member here for about a week, and I'm - twice - finding myself suggesting that a poster is thinking too much. LOL. Perhaps I'm in the wrong forum. When a person picks at every word and nuance, they often lose the general gist of a sentiment. And I believe that's the case here. I mean no disrespect, Gert, but I think its a golden rule because of its simplicity - treat others as you'd like to have them treat you. Yes, there will be individuals (perhaps serial killers) who would not like to be treated as they have or will treat others - but as a general rule for a society, I think it stands well.
I'm less worried about the serial killer (killing him before he kills me seems eminently sensible) it's the masochist that bothers me.
The difference between Truth and Falsity is not a question of volume.
Grotto19
Favorite Philosopher: Epictetus

Post by Grotto19 »

I think it is of little point to argue about special cases where the rule wont fit, because in these cases no other rule would fit either. The sociopath or the psychopath are not going to apply any rule you provide regarding morality. This fact does not discredit the foundation nor the utility of the rule itself for that very reason. Universality is likely not an option when dealing with morality.

I think a re wording of the golden rule would be in order to make it less confusing in the case of punishment. Something along the lines of "do not hold yourself nor any other individual in higher esteem then the rest of humanity" this phrasing I think allows for self defense and general punishment.
Ladychristine
New Trial Member

Post by Ladychristine »

“Our job on earth isn't to criticize, reject, or judge. Our purpose is to offer a helping hand, compassion, and mercy. We are to do unto others as we hope they would do unto us.”
pekin

Post by pekin »

GertC wrote:“The Golden Rule”: One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself.
I think positive phrasing of the Golden Rule may have absurd consequences. In order to avoid it we need to use the negative phrasing like in the quotation below:
Prismatic wrote:[The Golden Rule]: "Do not do unto others as you would [NOT] have them do unto you."
But there seems to be still problem in negative phrasing:
Prismatic wrote:Any fixed rule for morality—including the so-called Golden Rule—is capable of causing mistakes.

For example, I would not want to be resuscitated outside of a hospital. However, it would not do for me to make a decision not to resuscitate some one else on the basis of my own wishes.
Perhaps this example is not a problem since a medic, doctor or a qualified first aid volunteer ought to know when and how to resuscitate a person - they do not have a moral choice to do or not to do.

Anyway, we should avoid trivializing this important ethical maxim as it is also very similar to Kant's Categorical Imperative or Sartre's "[Man] choosing for himself he chooses for all men." or J.S.Mill's words: "When Kant propounds as the fundamental principle of morals, "So act, that thy rule of conduct might be adopted as a law by all rational beings" he virtually acknowledges that the interest of mankind collectively, or at least of mankind indiscriminately, must be in the mind of the agent when conscientiously deciding on the morality of the act."
Wilson
Favorite Philosopher: Eric Hoffer

Post by Wilson »

Here's my improvement for the golden rule: Be nice to others.

The truth is that we make our decisions on how to act without consulting a rule book. We know instinctively whether something is moral or not, according to our standards. It's based on empathy (which varies from person to person), the greater good for the most people, our own self-interest, and so on. It is good (according to my moral tendencies) to ask how I would feel if I were in that person's shoes, but our moral judgments are emotionally driven and the answers aren't the same for everyone. The golden rule is a pretty decent attempt to specify how empathetic people arrive at their moral decisions, but it's only a rough approximation.
Blake 789

Post by Blake 789 »

Try to treat people a little bit better than they how they would treat you is a decent revision if you want something you can apply practically.

Return to “Ethics and Morality”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream