Is abortion wrong?

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
Steve3007
Favorite Philosopher: Eratosthenes

Re: Is abortion wrong?

Post by Steve3007 » September 21st, 2017, 5:58 pm

Since we're having a go at Noobe-Noobe here (great name, by the way) I think I'll choose this part:
It may not be like killing a human because we have awareness of our existence but its like killing an animal, just because you don't want to live with it.
Killing what kind of animal, exactly? If the abortion happens when the embryo is a single cell (that may not technically be an abortion, but humour me) does that make it a bit like killing a bacterium?

Do you think abortion becomes progressively more wrong as the embryo/foetus grows in the same way that (perhaps) killing animals becomes progressively more wrong as we consider more and more complex animals? Worse to kill a chimp than a spider. Worse to kill a spider than a bacterium. That kind of thing.

-- Updated Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:11 pm to add the following --

I regularly kill bacteria because I don't want to live with them. Spiders, I tend to throw out of the back door. But if somebody else decided to kill them, I don't think I'd pass judgement much.
"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea." - Eric Cantona.

Apemman7
New Trial Member

Re: Is abortion wrong?

Post by Apemman7 » September 27th, 2017, 10:32 am

It has been proven that the fetus doesn’t develop a conscience or a brain untill late in the pregnancy. As a result can it be characterized as murder, when something isn’t alive? And would you want to raise a baby that was a result of rape or even an accident?