Is abortion wrong?

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
anarchyisbliss

Post by anarchyisbliss »

This was my response to another topic on the phiolosophy of politics forum

no doubt about the fact that abortion is murder, a sperm is a living creature an ovum is a living creature and a zygote and an embryo are living conscious beings with souls

be that as it may a woman still has the right to kill her child if she knows that she cannot provide for him or her or if allowing the child to live would cause more harm than good.

And why do religious people get so worked up saying " boo hoo hoo the poor little baby will never get the chance to live wah wah wah " Wont its soul just go straight to heaven or purgatory so whats the big issue if a mother spares her child's soul from the horror of planet Earth
"If there is hope, it lies in the proles." - George Orwell, 1984
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
The admin formerly known as Scott
Favorite Philosopher: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes »

anarchyisbliss wrote:And why do religious people get so worked up
I think many religious people get worked up because morality is black and white to them. They think at a certain point "human life" is created, and to cause it to end is sinful murder. In contrast, more secular people have more varying opinions that are not as black and white. The secularist could think it horrible to murder a full grown human, but less bad to murder a dog, even less bad to murder an ant, and even less bad to abort a few cells.

For the religious person, it is often just a black and white question of whether or not their God has declared the action sinful. For the non-religious person, it is often questions that can vary in degree, such as: Does abortion cause the embryo/fetus pain? If so, how much? How does it affect a woman to force her by law to give birth?
My entire political philosophy summed up in one tweet.

"The mind is a wonderful servant but a terrible master."

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
Invictus_88

Post by Invictus_88 »

NB: The differences (outlined above) between religious and secular thinkers, are merely tendencies.
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
The admin formerly known as Scott
Favorite Philosopher: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes »

Invictus_88 wrote:NB: The differences (outlined above) between religious and secular thinkers, are merely tendencies.
Yes, that is true. And I am glad you made a note of it.
My entire political philosophy summed up in one tweet.

"The mind is a wonderful servant but a terrible master."

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
Lomax

Post by Lomax »

Hello Marytk,
marytk179 wrote:I think it is wrong. If you have sex there is the possibility you will have a baby and if you are not capible of either putting the child up for adoption or raising it, then you don't need to be having sex.
What of sex for pleasure?
marytk179 wrote:And if you are raped, you can put it up for adoption.
Certainly, but I think this ignores the extreme negative utility that may ensue for the child.
marytk179 wrote: I mean its basically murder isn't it
i) Would you say that murder is inherently bad, or bad because of its consequences?
ii) How would you distinguish murder? I feel that for a probably non-sensuous being, such as a brick, a snowflake or a barely developed feotus, it is not as simple as to say the action is "murder".
marytk179 wrote:in another forum there were people upset about the killing of animals, wouldn't the killing of an innocent baby be astronomically worse.
May I ask why? This seems like speciesism. Also, a feotus and a baby are not the same thing.

Lomax
Lomax

Post by Lomax »

Hello, ForeverRain,
Foreverrain wrote:once you create something you have an obligation to see that task through.
Why?
Foreverrain wrote:only when you see that it can't result in something posititve can you decide that it should be terminated or not. It's important to give mankind all possible positives to move ahead. Unless you are able to decipher that this life will hinder mankinds path forward can you decide to terminate it.
Is the decision not to kill something that will probably have negative utility, not just as bad as the decision to kill something which will probably have positive utility?
Foreverrain wrote:Unlike clay, humans have to be constantly molded and never remain the same. You don't create clay, you mold it. It already exists, we just simply manipulate it. That's what humans do best...manipulate. That's why I said create. I didn't think that I needed to specify among intelligent people.
Well, I disagree here; humans, like clay, are formed out of matter that already exists.

Lomax
Lomax

Post by Lomax »

Hello Patrarch,
Patrarch wrote:My claim is that there is NOTHING to morality other than empathic reaction. People create all these ideas to explain "morality" because they just do not understand the natural processes the human has. Morality itself is created by our empathic reaction.
Well firstly, I would disagree with this. I would say that morality is a product of evolution, because we survived as a group, not as individuals. However, the matter of where morality began has little to do with where it can lead. As Peter Singer says: just as the inventors of mathematics, using the natural numbers to count their tribesmen, had no idea their invention would some day lead to infinitesimal calculus, we cannot know where ethics ends.

So perhaps empathy plays a role in the roots of morality, perhaps not. That has nothing to do with whether it is the correct approach to morality.

Lomax
Lomax

Post by Lomax »

Hello Anarchyisbliss,
anarchyisbliss wrote:no doubt about the fact that abortion is murder, a sperm is a living creature an ovum is a living creature and a zygote and an embryo are living conscious beings with souls
Well, firstly, I would disagree that a sperm, ovum or zygote is a "living creature". Perhaps we first need a definition of "life"? Moreover, I would certainly disagree that any of the above possess their own consciousness. Further, I think you profess more knowledge than is obtainable; I see no evidence to believe in a "soul".
anarchyisbliss wrote:And why do religious people get so worked up saying " boo hoo hoo the poor little baby will never get the chance to live wah wah wah " Wont its soul just go straight to heaven or purgatory so whats the big issue if a mother spares her child's soul from the horror of planet Earth
Well I cannot speak for all religious people, but in the case of Catholics, I think the conception of "original sin" is one possible issue.

Lomax
anarchyisbliss

Post by anarchyisbliss »

Lomax wrote:Hello Anarchyisbliss,
anarchyisbliss wrote:no doubt about the fact that abortion is murder, a sperm is a living creature an ovum is a living creature and a zygote and an embryo are living conscious beings with souls
Well, firstly, I would disagree that a sperm, ovum or zygote is a "living creature". Perhaps we first need a definition of "life"? Moreover, I would certainly disagree that any of the above possess their own consciousness. Further, I think you profess more knowledge than is obtainable; I see no evidence to believe in a "soul".
anarchyisbliss wrote:And why do religious people get so worked up saying " boo hoo hoo the poor little baby will never get the chance to live wah wah wah " Wont its soul just go straight to heaven or purgatory so whats the big issue if a mother spares her child's soul from the horror of planet Earth
Well I cannot speak for all religious people, but in the case of Catholics, I think the conception of "original sin" is one possible issue.

Lomax
First off all cells are living creatures so there's that answer you cant really disprove that and i have proof of souls what do you think makes something conscious? not just a network of electrical units and gray matter, there is an observer. And all things on this planet are conscious regardless of biological status. And for catholics even if youre married you cant get an abortion.
Lomax

Post by Lomax »

Hello Anarchyisbliss,
anarchyisbliss wrote:First off all cells are living creatures so there's that answer you cant really disprove that
Well, dictionary dot com defines "creature" as "an animal, esp. a nonhuman". I am quite sure that a cell doesn't satisfy the criteria for an animal, in the same was a brick doesn't satisfy the criteria for a house. Every time you cut your hair or scratch your arm, you kill a good few cells.
anarchyisbliss wrote:i have proof of souls
Care to share the proof?
anarchyisbliss wrote:what do you think makes something conscious? not just a network of electrical units and gray matter, there is an observer.
I would opt for the former, if I had to pick on of those two.

Out of curiosity, what do you think makes the observer? Isn't consciousness a prerequisite for observation?
anarchyisbliss wrote:And all things on this planet are conscious regardless of biological status.
Well, you can't know that; consciousness can't be empirically verified (nor falsified). But given that my state of consciousness is affected when I perform actions which affect my central nervous system, I would say there is evidence that a central nervous system is prerequisite to consciousness.
anarchyisbliss wrote:And for catholics even if youre married you cant get an abortion.
What has that to do with original sin?

Lomax
anjie143

Is Abortion Wrong?

Post by anjie143 »

Q. Is abortion wrong?

A. Is it wrong to tear your own soul to pieces?
Lomax

Re: Is Abortion Wrong?

Post by Lomax »

Hello Anjie143,
anjie143 wrote:Q. Is abortion wrong?

A. Is it wrong to tear your own soul to pieces?
Q. Is it wrong to tear your own soul to pieces?

A. If a soul exists, can it be affected by the destruction of the body?

Lomax
anarchyisbliss

Post by anarchyisbliss »

Lomax wrote:Hello Anarchyisbliss,
anarchyisbliss wrote:First off all cells are living creatures so there's that answer you cant really disprove that
Well, dictionary dot com defines "creature" as "an animal, esp. a nonhuman". I am quite sure that a cell doesn't satisfy the criteria for an animal, in the same was a brick doesn't satisfy the criteria for a house. Every time you cut your hair or scratch your arm, you kill a good few cells.

Regardless of what dictionary.com says about a creature, a dictionary definition is not always the true definition of a word it merely scratches the surface
anarchyisbliss wrote:i have proof of souls
Care to share the proof?

I did share the proof in regards to the observer which would be the soul
anarchyisbliss wrote:what do you think makes something conscious? not just a network of electrical units and gray matter, there is an observer.
I would opt for the former, if I had to pick on of those two.

Out of curiosity, what do you think makes the observer? Isn't consciousness a prerequisite for observation?

the observer is the soul which develops as the body does the observer is created at the same time as the subconscious mind, and i don't see the relevance of your second question
anarchyisbliss wrote:And all things on this planet are conscious regardless of biological status.
Well, you can't know that; consciousness can't be empirically verified (nor falsified). But given that my state of consciousness is affected when I perform actions which affect my central nervous system, I would say there is evidence that a central nervous system is prerequisite to consciousness.
anarchyisbliss wrote:And for catholics even if youre married you cant get an abortion.
What has that to do with original sin?

original sin is sex outside of marriage according to Catholic doctrine, intra marital sex wouldn't be sinful so if you conceived a child through intra marital sex and aborted it Catholics couldn't use the argument of original sin against you intramarital sex

Lomax
Lomax

Post by Lomax »

Hello AnarchyIsBliss,
anarchyisbliss wrote:Regardless of what dictionary.com says about a creature, a dictionary definition is not always the true definition of a word it merely scratches the surface
Well, you said I couldn't disprove that a cell is a creature. If the weight of proof lies merely with definitional retreat, then I do not see how this relates to the question of morality.
anarchyisbliss wrote:I did share the proof in regards to the observer which would be the soul
No; rather, you shared conjecture.
anarchyisbliss wrote:the observer is the soul which develops as the body does the observer is created at the same time as the subconscious mind, and i don't see the relevance of your second question
Well, you said that the observer makes the consciousness, and this is your "proof" of an observer. I am saying that the observer cannot precede the consciousness, and thus, it is no proof at all.
anarchyisbliss wrote:original sin is sex outside of marriage according to Catholic doctrine, intra marital sex wouldn't be sinful so if you conceived a child through intra marital sex and aborted it Catholics couldn't use the argument of original sin against you intramarital sex
No, "original sin" is the sin inherited by man from Adam and Eve, due to their corruption by Satan, according to the Catholic doctrine. The idea is that each person is born with sin, and thus, must spend their life atoning for it, or they will go to hell. The Catholic objection to abortion is that the feotus would go to hell without a chance to atone. And of course, there's the matter of the doctor going to hell.

I'm not Catholic, but I just thought I would explain their point of view, since you asked.

Lomax
anarchyisbliss

Post by anarchyisbliss »

thanks for clarifying on the Catholic Doctrine I am also not a Catholic so I was just using hearsay. You did not refute my argument on the definition because the definition you gave was very rudimentary. Creature comes from the Latin root "crea" meaning create or build stipulativley speaking creature is a general umbrella term for all "things" on this planet So when I say creatures I just mean the Earth's inhabitants;its just much more eloquent than saying the word "things". And my concept of an observer is not a conjecture it is as much of a fact as the concept of Ego, subconscious, or any other psychological attribute that cant be explicitly "proven" it just appears that we have a skeptic in our midst. My concept of observer is my proof of soul, i.e; the observer is the soul they are synonymous. Neither the observer proceeds consciousness nor vice a versa they occur at the same time. Consciousness makes the observer while the observer makes conciseness. They evolve parallel to each other. And where is your"proof" that the observer cannot come before the conscious mind? not to be aggressive just wondering.

Return to “Ethics and Morality”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream