Is abortion wrong?

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
Kinyonga

Re: Is abortion wrong?

Post by Kinyonga »

LuckyR wrote:Well, unlike many issues in philosophy, this topic is 50% personal, 25% family and 25% medical and essentially zero percent anyone else's business. So all I need to hear is that you are comfortable with your personal, family and medical reasoning and that is good enough for me.
I guess it depends on whether you think morality is relative or not.
Jacqueline Sheehan
New Trial Member

Post by Jacqueline Sheehan »

From my point of view, it is wrong as it is still a life that you take away due to the irresponsible act.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Jacqueline Sheehan wrote:From my point of view, it is wrong as it is still a life that you take away due to the irresponsible act.
But should it be illegal?
"As usual... it depends."
Kinyonga

Post by Kinyonga »

LuckyR wrote:But should it be illegal?
Yes, unless the pregnancy is endangering the mother's life.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Kinyonga wrote:
LuckyR wrote:But should it be illegal?
Yes, unless the pregnancy is endangering the mother's life.
Ah, well that is where your not unreasonable opinion (for yourself) crosses the line into unreasonable.
Kinyonga

Post by Kinyonga »

LuckyR wrote:Ah, well that is where your not unreasonable opinion (for yourself) crosses the line into unreasonable.
Well, a law was created to make murder illegal, presumably because someone thought it was immoral. And abortion is illegal in many countries...
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Kinyonga wrote:
LuckyR wrote:Ah, well that is where your not unreasonable opinion (for yourself) crosses the line into unreasonable.
Well, a law was created to make murder illegal, presumably because someone thought it was immoral. And abortion is illegal in many countries...
You are correct. Which of the named countries would you like to emigrate to (due to their superior cultural philosophy)?

RED COUNTRIES ON THE MAP: ABORTION ILLEGAL IN ALL CIRCUMSTANCES OR PERMITTED ONLY TO SAVE A WOMAN'S LIFE.
South America:
Brazil, Colombia, Chile, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Gustamala, Haiti, Honduras, Mexico, Nigaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Venezuela,

Sub-Saharan Africa:
Angola, Benin, Central African Rep.Chad, Congo, Côte d'Ivoire, Dem. Rep. of Congo, Gabon, Guinea- Bissau, Kenya, Lesotho, Madagascar, Mali, Mauretania, Mauritius, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Somalia, Tanzania, Togo, Uganda.

Middle East and North Africa:
Afghanistan, Egypt, Iran, Lebanon, Libya, Oman, Sudan (r), Syria, United Arab Emirates, Yemen.

Asia and Pacific:
Bangladesh, Indonesia, Laos, Myanmar, Papua New Guinea, Philippines, Sri Lanka.

Europe:
Ireland, Malta.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Kinyonga wrote: Well, a law was created to make murder illegal, presumably because someone thought it was immoral. And abortion is illegal in many countries...
I am not sure of that.

I think murder was made illegal to create stability because it is good for good governance of a community.

But murder was not always illegal, and if it were immoral, then it would be forever illegal.

Some examples of murder made legal:

- if you want to stop a Muslim from going to his temple to pray, he is told he can kill you with impunity.

- as a landlord in feudal times, in Europe, you could kill a serf under your rule. In incredibly, horribly painful ways, too, if you felt like it.

- as a slave owner in the South, you could kill slaves with relative impunity.

- as a soldier your DUTY is to murder people.

- in the ancient times slaves could be killed without even a reason for it.

- in many states murder is legal (when executing a prisoner on death row. It is still a murder., any way you look at it.)
This search engine is powered by Hunger, Thirst, and a desperate need to Mate.
Kinyonga

Post by Kinyonga »

LuckyR wrote:You are correct. Which of the named countries would you like to emigrate to (due to their superior cultural philosophy)?
Are you telling me you wouldn't want to live in any of those countries?
But as it happens, I am planning on moving and living in Kenya. I've lived there for about two years (hard to tell because it wasn't just a long stretch; came back to Europe often), and it's a wonderful country. However, most of the countries you list I'd be happy to live in. I don't really see what your point is.
-1 wrote:I am not sure of that.

I think murder was made illegal to create stability because it is good for good governance of a community.

But murder was not always illegal, and if it were immoral, then it would be forever illegal.
Do you mean that murder is morally acceptable?
-1 wrote:Some examples of murder made legal:

- if you want to stop a Muslim from going to his temple to pray, he is told he can kill you with impunity.

- as a landlord in feudal times, in Europe, you could kill a serf under your rule. In incredibly, horribly painful ways, too, if you felt like it.

- as a slave owner in the South, you could kill slaves with relative impunity.

- as a soldier your DUTY is to murder people.

- in the ancient times slaves could be killed without even a reason for it.

- in many states murder is legal (when executing a prisoner on death row. It is still a murder., any way you look at it.)
Yes, all true. But, like I implied above, legality doesn't make killing things moral.
For your first point, which countries does that apply to (just out of interest)?
Ranvier

Post by Ranvier »

"Is abortion wrong?"
This is an extremely difficult question because the answer entails several different concepts just to answer from ethical versus the legal point of view. Without getting too deep into the differences between human beings, there are certainly differences in how each of us thinks. To answer any ethical question one must search within oneself for answers not turn to others for guidance. I believe that's the fundamental principle of ethics. However, given our intellect we can be intellectually swayed in our convictions to perceive the reality from a different points of view, how else could we explain millions of Germans following the logic of fascism of Nazi Germany.

Again, without getting deep into the concepts of consciousness and conscience, each one of us can trace the first memory of self aware thought to a specific time in life. This will be about 4 years of age for most people. Naturally we would all agree that consciousness is clearly visible in children who speak their first words or show first signs of modesty and even much earlier. However, conscience doesn't mature until much later in child's life, not until the mind is capable of comprehending consequences of effect from causality. Regardless, personally I can trace a specific time in my life when I was able to "know" that something is right or wrong, even if I couldn't explain why. That is in my view the first expression of inborn "moral agent" (around age 4), which legally we don't really acknowledge in our society until 16 years old (in some countries) or 18-21 yo in most Western countries. Of course it's a separate debate about the actual "maturity" of conscience in full understanding of consequences of one's actions from a legal point of view...or the fact that some people never mature.

Therefore, legality of our actions is separate from ethical considerations. One is derived from the social consequences of our actions, while the former is derived from a subjective sense of self respect and honor, if I'm allowed to describe morals in such a way. This question of abortion must be viewed from these two different aspects of civilization and humanity. I could elaborate more but in my humble opinion:

- Legally, abortion should be allowed without punishment in modern secular society.
- Morally, abortion is unethical regardless of society.

-- Updated August 17th, 2017, 11:31 am to add the following --

*replace "former" with later
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Kinyonga wrote:
LuckyR wrote:You are correct. Which of the named countries would you like to emigrate to (due to their superior cultural philosophy)?
Are you telling me you wouldn't want to live in any of those countries?
But as it happens, I am planning on moving and living in Kenya. I've lived there for about two years (hard to tell because it wasn't just a long stretch; came back to Europe often), and it's a wonderful country. However, most of the countries you list I'd be happy to live in. I don't really see what your point is.
"Traditional ideas about the roles of girls and women restrict their contributions to Kenya. These ideas hold women back from contributing to important development goals; especially in the areas of economic growth, nutrition and food security.

Women in Kenya are underrepresented in decision-making positions. They also have less access to education, land, and employment. Those living in rural areas spend long hours collecting water and firewood; interfering with school attendance and leaving them with little time to earn money or engage in other productive activities.

The untapped potential of women and girls is gaining greater attention in Kenya. The country’s new Constitution, passed in 2010, provides a powerful framework for addressing gender equality. It marks a new beginning for women’s rights in Kenya; seeking to remedy the traditional exclusion of women and promote their full involvement in every aspect of growth and development."

My point is: Have a great time in Kenya. Looks like things are looking brighter for the future...
-1-

Post by -1- »

Kinyonga wrote: Well, a law was created to make murder illegal, presumably because someone thought it was immoral.
Kinyonga wrote: Yes, all true. But, like I implied above, legality doesn't make killing things moral.
In the first quote you claimed someone thought (or generally speaking) murder is illegal because it is immoral.

I proved it to you that murder is not illegal in all of humanities' expressions. Your initial proof or claim needed the fact that murder is illegal because it is immoral. I showed it to you that murder is not illegal, so it is either moral, or else does not show correspondence to morals.

I don't understand your second attempt at a rebuttal. It neither takes away nor adds to the strength of your or my claims.

I showed to you that legality is not equivalent to morality, and therefore your claim can not be supported by combining the two together into equivalence. Yet you used that combination in your claim. Therefore your claim is not valid.
This search engine is powered by Hunger, Thirst, and a desperate need to Mate.
Phorever
New Trial Member

Post by Phorever »

cynicallyinsane wrote:Is abortion wrong? Is it okay? Why?
Abortion was wrong when people believed in the soul. Now that we understand that the soul does not exist abortion is no longer wrong because no baby is special and any other one will do.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Phorever wrote:
cynicallyinsane wrote:Is abortion wrong? Is it okay? Why?
Abortion was wrong when people believed in the soul. Now that we understand that the soul does not exist abortion is no longer wrong because no baby is special and any other one will do.
Right conclusion, wrong reason.
Spectrum
Favorite Philosopher: Eclectic -Various

Post by Spectrum »

OP: Is abortion wrong?
I believe the above question is very ineffective in expecting an outright answer that all must abide by it.

As usual with the Kantian approach, all moral and ethical issues must be presented in a holistic framework and system approach which is constructed with the following main sections, i.e.'
  • 1. Absolute Moral Laws - not enforceable but only to be used as a guidance.
    2. Ethical Laws - applied moral maxims
    3. Personal conscience to be improved continuously.
Outside the above Moral and Ethical Framework is the Political-Legislature-Judiciary which adapt the moral maxims into enforceable laws.

The Absolute Moral Laws;
One of the main fundamental of the moral framework is the preservation of the species.
Theoretically all human actions must align with the above mission.
In alignment with the preservation of the species, the Absolute Moral Law on abortion is;
  • "The act of deliberate abortion cannot be permissible, no ifs and no buts."
The logic is, if abortion is made universal, then theoretically the human species will be extinct.
However note this is based on pure reason as such should merely be a guide to what must be expected and not enforceable.

Ethical Laws - applied moral maxims
Morally all humans must adopt and comply with the Absolute Moral Maxim;
"The act of deliberate abortion cannot be permissible, no ifs and no buts."
But because humans are exposed to various conditions, it is impossible for all humans [come in varieties of competences] to comply with the above.
Point is the sexual drive [of the sexually active] is such that it is VERY strong and forceful and some will not have sufficient impulse controls to handle it.
Other than medical reasons, there will good reasons why some individuals or couple do not want children.

Whilst from a moral standpoint, it is absolute no abortion is permitted, in the practical world and due to various inevitable conditions, abortion must be permitted. There cannot a blanket absolute acceptance of abortion. The proviso is the conscience of the individual[s] must also be raised that they must strive to take steps avoid future abortion, e.g. care, effective contraception, and other preventive methods.
It would be morally and ethically wrong to adopt an indifferent attitude to sex and have an abortion without any effort in preventing it in the first place.

Personal Conscience
The individual must manage his conscience level re the Moral Gap on the issue of abortion. Individuals must learn how not to feel guilty about abortion but one must strive for future prevention. Thus individual[s] concern must raise their awareness to avoid a situation where they have to abort with the best possible effort.

Political-Legislature-Judiciary
Whilst mindful of the Absolute Moral Laws which is personal, an efficient Political-Legislature-Judiciary system must align with reality and permit abortion for anyone who choose to have it.
But at the same time the political authority must take steps to narrow the Moral gap to reduce the number of abortions within its citizens, e.g. raising the average awareness and consciousness of the issue on abortion.
Each government must contribute serious to the global Moral and Ethical Framework & System.

Abortion is not a matter of plain yes or no but rather abortion should be dealt on a holistic approach as presented above with grounding, strategies of actions and control.

-- Updated Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:18 pm to add the following --

"Other than medical reasons, there will good reasons why some individuals or couple do not want children" while they are 'forced' to have sex as an embedded instinct.
Not-a-theist. Religion is a critical necessity for humanity now, but not the FUTURE.

Return to “Ethics and Morality”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream