Is abortion wrong?

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
Steve3007

Re: Is abortion wrong?

Post by Steve3007 »

Since we're having a go at Noobe-Noobe here (great name, by the way) I think I'll choose this part:
It may not be like killing a human because we have awareness of our existence but its like killing an animal, just because you don't want to live with it.
Killing what kind of animal, exactly? If the abortion happens when the embryo is a single cell (that may not technically be an abortion, but humour me) does that make it a bit like killing a bacterium?

Do you think abortion becomes progressively more wrong as the embryo/foetus grows in the same way that (perhaps) killing animals becomes progressively more wrong as we consider more and more complex animals? Worse to kill a chimp than a spider. Worse to kill a spider than a bacterium. That kind of thing.

-- Updated Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:11 pm to add the following --

I regularly kill bacteria because I don't want to live with them. Spiders, I tend to throw out of the back door. But if somebody else decided to kill them, I don't think I'd pass judgement much.
Apemman7
New Trial Member

Post by Apemman7 »

It has been proven that the fetus doesn’t develop a conscience or a brain untill late in the pregnancy. As a result can it be characterized as murder, when something isn’t alive? And would you want to raise a baby that was a result of rape or even an accident?
Frewah

Post by Frewah »

No, it isn't. People shouldn't have to give birth if they are not ready to be parents. Overpopulation is the biggest problem we have. If there were not so many people, it would solve the climate problem. The climate problem is a symptom of overpopulation.
h_k_s
Favorite Philosopher: Aristotle

Post by h_k_s »

[quote=cynicallyinsane post_id=471 time=1177109113 user_id=21]
Is abortion wrong? Is it okay? Why?
[/quote]

Abortion is not mentioned in the Federal or State Constitution(s) (no matter what the Burger Court said about "right to privacy").

Therefore abortion is simply a legislative issue at the State level (regardless of what Roe V. Wade ruled).

Whether it is ethical to take a fetus' life versus interfere with the freedom of a female/lady/woman to exercise her own rights over control of her body is a dilemma of two opposing rights -- the ethical right of the fetus versus the ethical right of the female who is pregnant.

Either way you decide on this, you would be violating someone's right, either the fetus' right or the woman's right.

I believe it is more wrong to violate a woman's right than a fetus' right.

But you are never going to get out of this dilemma without violating one right or the other.

The safest thing is to allow the woman to make the choice. Then she is saddled with the burden of guilt, not you.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

h_k_s wrote: November 25th, 2018, 9:57 pm
cynicallyinsane wrote: April 20th, 2007, 6:45 pm Is abortion wrong? Is it okay? Why?
Abortion is not mentioned in the Federal or State Constitution(s) (no matter what the Burger Court said about "right to privacy").

Therefore abortion is simply a legislative issue at the State level (regardless of what Roe V. Wade ruled).

Whether it is ethical to take a fetus' life versus interfere with the freedom of a female/lady/woman to exercise her own rights over control of her body is a dilemma of two opposing rights -- the ethical right of the fetus versus the ethical right of the female who is pregnant.

Either way you decide on this, you would be violating someone's right, either the fetus' right or the woman's right.

But you are never going to get out of this dilemma without violating one right or the other.

The safest thing is to allow the woman to make the choice. Then she is saddled with the burden of guilt, not you.
That is not a bad synopsis of the issues at play.
"As usual... it depends."
h_k_s

Post by h_k_s »

[quote=LuckyR post_id=324448 time=1543218165 user_id=44898]
[quote=h_k_s post_id=324430 time=1543197476 user_id=48582]

[/quote]

That is not a bad synopsis of the issues at play.
[/quote]
Unlike the ancient Sophists of Athens whom Plato hated, or the modern Sophists who use sophistry to try to gain an advantage at the expense of truth, I myself always try to state both sides of an issue before I decide in favor of one side or the other. In persuasive writing this is always the most fair and ethical approach. So I laid it out here.

In the case of abortion in the USA since this is such a hot button issue for everyone, I think some kind of national referendum is needed for everyone to use their vote to voice their opinion on the matter. Since our rule of law turns on majority rule, in most cases, I feel that invoking the power of majority rule is required in the abortion debate.

But ironically the political activists will never agree to majority rule either.

And the bar is very high to change Roe. But a high bar is what the Founding Fathers wanted for us.
ktz
Favorite Philosopher: Habermas

Post by ktz »

h_k_s wrote: November 26th, 2018, 1:26 pm Unlike the ancient Sophists of Athens whom Plato hated, or the modern Sophists who use sophistry to try to gain an advantage at the expense of truth, I myself always try to state both sides of an issue before I decide in favor of one side or the other. In persuasive writing this is always the most fair and ethical approach. So I laid it out here.

In the case of abortion in the USA since this is such a hot button issue for everyone, I think some kind of national referendum is needed for everyone to use their vote to voice their opinion on the matter. Since our rule of law turns on majority rule, in most cases, I feel that invoking the power of majority rule is required in the abortion debate.

But ironically the political activists will never agree to majority rule either.

And the bar is very high to change Roe. But a high bar is what the Founding Fathers wanted for us.
The bar is not so high these days with the addition of Kavanaugh to the court, replacing previous abortion-supporting swing vote Anthony Kennedy. I saw an interview with the original Roe v Wade lawyer Sarah Weddington who is all but certain that it will be overturned. I fear the pragmatic considerations -- the Donohue-Levitt hypothesis for example, which links the legalization of abortion to falling rates in violent crime. But perhaps there is a Beethoven in the future that may have been aborted who will now be spared after Roe v Wade is overturned. I suppose ultimately consequentialists like me can only speak in hypothetical terms.
You may have a heart of gold, but so does a hard-boiled egg.
Fooloso4

Post by Fooloso4 »

h_k_s:
Since our rule of law turns on majority rule …
The rule of law is intended to be an overriding countermeasure to majority rule. The Founders were well aware of the tyranny and fickleness of the masses. It has been a fundamental problem of political philosophy since the beginning.

As John Adams said:
We are a nation of laws not of men.
As Kavanaugh made clear, overturning Roe has significant consequences not just for abortion rights but for the status of the law.
h_k_s

Post by h_k_s »

[quote=ktz post_id=324499 time=1543255667 user_id=48554]
[quote=h_k_s post_id=324491 time=1543253164 user_id=48582]
Unlike the ancient Sophists of Athens whom Plato hated, or the modern Sophists who use sophistry to try to gain an advantage at the expense of truth, I myself always try to state both sides of an issue before I decide in favor of one side or the other. In persuasive writing this is always the most fair and ethical approach. So I laid it out here.

[/quote]

The bar is not so high these days with the addition of Kavanaugh to the court, replacing previous abortion-supporting swing vote Anthony Kennedy. I saw an interview with the original Roe v Wade lawyer Sarah Weddington who is all but certain that it will be overturned. I fear the pragmatic considerations -- the Donohue-Levitt hypothesis for example, which links the legalization of abortion to falling rates in violent crime. But perhaps there is a Beethoven in the future that may have been aborted who will now be spared after Roe v Wade is overturned. I suppose ultimately consequentialists like me can only speak in hypothetical terms.
[/quote]

It is so hard to guess what the current court will do if a challenge to Roe comes up to it.

Roberts is a swing voter, which he proved in the ACA case.

Thomas is the most strict constructionist. Strictly speaking therefore, Roe is bad law. He will vote against Roe.

Ginsberg is feminist and does not strictly interpret the Constitution so she will certainly vote in favor of Roe.

Breyer is activist, and probably favors women's rights even though women are not mentioned in the Constitution. He will vote for Roe.

Alito is like Thomas in many ways. But he can also be swing.

Sotomayor is like Ginsberg. She will vote for Roe.

Kagan is like Sotomayor and Ginsberg. She will vote for Roe.

Gursuch is a swing voter.

We know nothing about Kavanaugh yet.

That totals 4 votes in favor of Roe and 2 votes against Roe.

3 votes are unknown. Only 1 vote is needed to support Roe.

Those are not good odds for anything to change via the SCOTUS.
h_k_s

Post by h_k_s »

[quote=Fooloso4 post_id=324505 time=1543257758 user_id=43314]
h_k_s:

[quote]Since our rule of law turns on majority rule …[/quote]

The rule of law is intended to be an overriding countermeasure to majority rule. The Founders were well aware of the tyranny and fickleness of the masses. It has been a fundamental problem of political philosophy since the beginning.

As John Adams said:

[quote]We are a nation of laws not of men. [/quote]

As Kavanaugh made clear, overturning Roe has significant consequences not just for abortion rights but for the status of the law.
[/quote]

I agree with Kavanaugh. And therefore it would seem to me that violating the stare decisis policy is a threat to judicial oversight for our democracy. I would suspect that many of the SCOTUS justices would be reluctant to overturn Roe because stare decisis seems more important than one mere case.

The Congress may amend the Constitution and overturn Roe just as the 12th Amendment overturned Dred Scott.

But getting an amendment passed and ratified would require a political majority the likes of which has never been seen since Nixon stepped down and Carter was elected. And that time it was going the other way, in favor of Roe.
Fooloso4

Post by Fooloso4 »

h_k_s,

I sent you a PM about using the quote function and previewing your messages before you send them. It is very difficult to figure out who and what you are quoting and a violation of forum rules.

h_k_s:
The Congress may amend the Constitution and overturn Roe just as the 12th Amendment overturned Dred Scott.
Or, a more liberal Congress might amend the Constitution to prevent the overturning of Roe. And, if the polls are to be believed, the majority of Americans are in favor of Roe.

But an amendment is highly unlikely at this time. What we are more likely to see are continued attempts to weaken the law, chipping away at it and taking advantage of any interpretive vagueness. In other words, judicial activism.
h_k_s

Post by h_k_s »

Fooloso4 wrote: November 26th, 2018, 4:06 pm h_k_s,

I sent you a PM about using the quote function and previewing your messages before you send them. It is very difficult to figure out who and what you are quoting and a violation of forum rules.

h_k_s:
Or, a more liberal Congress might amend the Constitution to prevent the overturning of Roe. And, if the polls are to be believed, the majority of Americans are in favor of Roe.

But an amendment is highly unlikely at this time. What we are more likely to see are continued attempts to weaken the law, chipping away at it and taking advantage of any interpretive vagueness. In other words, judicial activism.
I wish your PM were comprehensible to me. But it is steeped in geek-talk and I cannot decipher it with my old-school brain. I have clicked on the preview function as you said. But it does not tell me anything. And the edit function is not clear to me what you mean, sorry.
h_k_s

Post by h_k_s »

There are several issue that the Constitution and/or Bill Of Rights is/are not clear on.

Abortion is one. It is not even mentioned once. Nor are women at all.

Gun/Arms is another. 2A implies complete hands off, but US legislatures and courts have been violating that interpretation since the end of the U.S. Civil War. The original intent of these earlier violations was to keep guns out of the hands of the freed slaves. But the slippery slope has extended them to all citizens and residents of any background.

Slavery itself was ultimately resolved but this too 3 more Amendments -- the 12th, 13th, and 14th plus a Civil Rights Act in addition.
h_k_s

Post by h_k_s »

Ok I have found the "full editor and preview."

I will see if I can hack into that next time and figure out how to use it.
Fooloso4

Post by Fooloso4 »

h_k_s:

I found out from Greta that the problem is not on your end. Someone is working to fix it. Once it is fixed I think it will be easy to figure out.
There are several issue that the Constitution and/or Bill Of Rights is/are not clear on.

Abortion is one. It is not even mentioned once.
The history of abortion in the U.S. is an interesting one. I found the following interesting.

According to The American Historian (http://tah.oah.org/november-2016/abolis ... n-america/):
Before 1840 abortion was a widespread, largely stigma-free experience for American women. During that period, the American legal system used the quickening doctrine from British common law to decide the legality of abortion. Quickening occurred when the pregnant woman could feel the fetus move, typically between the fourth and sixth month of pregnancy. This was the only sure way to confirm pregnancy; before this time, any fetus was considered only a potential life. Women most often used herbal concoctions they had learned from other women, healers, or physicians to cure their “obstructed menses” before quickening. Post-quickening abortion was a crime, but only a misdemeanor. Some historians have suggested that laws against post-quickening abortions were primarily intended to protect the health of the pregnant woman—not fetal life—as it was much more common for women to die during abortions that used instruments rather than herbal abortifacients. Whatever the rationale, few abortions were prosecuted before the mid-nineteenth century because quickening was so difficult to prove. Only women themselves could testify to fetal movement.

This system of legal but quiet abortions fell apart in the mid-nineteenth century. The first “right-to-life” movement was not led by grassroots activists, but rather physicians, anxious about their professional status. Before then, physicians had been a largely unregulated bunch, without the institutional or cultural authority to corner the market on healing. In the early nineteenth century, a variety of other healers competed with physicians for business, especially the business of women’s reproductive healthcare. While many physicians believed that scientific medicine would benefit their patients, some, in order to hurt lay healers’ business, sought governmental licensing and regulation to weed out the competition. Physicians used anti-abortion laws, pushed in state legislatures, to increase their own stature and undermine their opponents.

… By 1900 every state had a law forbidding abortion at any stage …
h_k_s:
Gun/Arms is another.
In my opinion, despite all his talk of originalism, Scalia misinterpreted the second amendment. A prime example of judicial activism. I have discussed this on another thread.

Return to “Ethics and Morality”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream