Is abortion wrong?

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
Burning ghost

Re: Is abortion wrong?

Post by Burning ghost »

Youngeqp wrote:Morally yes. Logically, no. A person is a person, but a baby that hasn't been born is a blank slate, it doesn't love or hate, want or need. What makes humans human is the experiences of life that add to their perception, their concept of reality. So while I don't agree with abortion, it is ultimately the mothers decision
Old and outdated view. We are most certainly not born as "blank slates". If such a view was held it would be "okay" to destroy a newly born baby in light of abortion.
AKA badgerjelly
Renee
Favorite Philosopher: Frigyes Karinthy

Post by Renee »

Burning ghost wrote:We are most certainly not born as "blank slates". If such a view was held it would be "okay" to destroy a newly born baby in light of abortion.
Well, the most modern view is that it would not harm the baby to kill it within the first 7 months of his or her life. The baby would not experience any trauma about it, so yes, it would be okay to destroy them if the need be.

I actually read that it's okay to destroy babies up to year and half, but I don't believe that. Seven-eight months into life, tops.

Then again, you'd need to find a psychopath who would be willing to do the job. And first things first, the parents have to agree to it first. Yikes.

Although not so yikes... infanticide does occur. Mothers killing their newborn if they feel the situation is not right to bring the baby up. This is punishable by law; but I think the mothers experience a biological urge, not a cruel phase.
Ignorance is power.
Youngeqp
Favorite Philosopher: Myself

Post by Youngeqp »

Burning ghost wrote:
Youngeqp wrote:Morally yes. Logically, no. A person is a person, but a baby that hasn't been born is a blank slate, it doesn't love or hate, want or need. What makes humans human is the experiences of life that add to their perception, their concept of reality. So while I don't agree with abortion, it is ultimately the mothers decision
Old and outdated view. We are most certainly not born as "blank slates". If such a view was held it would be "okay" to destroy a newly born baby in light of abortion.
So we are born with personality? With likes and dislikes? Now let me start by saying that I don't agree with abortion of a completely formed fetus, because if you had the time to allow it to grow from a mess of cells to a structurally distinct human then you should have to deal with the consequences of creating this life.

That's my morality speaking.

But people feel comfortable with abortions because the unborn baby doesn't have a face, sort of speak. This makes it impersonal. When the baby is born that all changes.

And if we are to be technical. I don't think that it is possible to love an unborn child. Because you don't know it. The love that we feel for the unborn is not really love for the child at present but a love of the idea of what that child will be. A love of how life would be with it, and how you will raise it and influence it.

After all, love is an perception that can only be formed by experiences with an individual or thing. Because love is really only an extreme form of "liking". And to like something, you have to have something to like about it. And the only thing we can like about an unborn child is the fact that it is ours, and of what it could one day be.
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

"It would not harm the baby to kill it" ? ?

I have a habit of pointing out misuse of language. Need I explain the issue I have here?

-- Updated November 21st, 2016, 5:17 am to add the following --

I would suggest doing some research into neurogenesis including prenatal if you're interested.

Many preconceived ideas about development has been dismissed or put to serious question in light of relatively recent technological progression in the relatively new field of cognitive neurosciences.

"blank slate" is dated and I doubt you'll find many, if any, neuroscientists that wouls say that is a reasonabke analogy.
AKA badgerjelly
Renee
Favorite Philosopher: Frigyes Karinthy

Post by Renee »

Burning ghost wrote:"It would not harm the baby to kill it" ? ?

I have a habit of pointing out misuse of language. Need I explain the issue I have here?
Your objection and demand for an explanation is justified.

I consider life worthless. Death is only considered "bad" because of the dying experience. We are all afraid of dying, because that increases our survival chances.

If someone can go through the dying process, without any negative connotations, such as fear, loathing, misgivings, the better for him or her.

If one can go through the dying process without even realizing it's happening is a winner. He can exit this miserable existence, and not go through the pain.

A baby who is not conscious, and can die without knowing life, or knowing and fearing death, is how I envision is a perfect life. Not much of a life, but the greatest let-down is missing, the most horrible experience to any conscious biological being, which is death.

"All is well if it ends well."

For a baby who feels no pain, and has not learned fear of death, and life ends for him or her, it ends well. For all others of us, who die otherwise than this baby, it does not end well.

Life is the most horrifying thing that can happen to anyone.

-- Updated November 21st, 2016, 5:27 am to add the following --
Burning ghost wrote:
Many preconceived ideas about development has been dismissed or put to serious question in light of relatively recent technological progression in the relatively new field of cognitive neurosciences.
And that's science you can give your support to!!

Of course. You are so transparent, Burning Ghost. If science discredits the bible, you reject it outright. If science seems to support the teaching of the bible, you accept that science.

I reject your scientific support. Not because it's necessarily false; no, not at all. It may well be true and valid. But I can't accept it from YOU, personally, because you cherry-pick science.

"You can't play for both teams." Science or no science, Burning Ghost? Please make up your mind. And when you came up with the answer, please stick with that. It's hard to play soccer on a field on which the goal posts are constantly moved about.

The constantly appearing and disappearing goal posts of science on the soccer field of a fanatically religious philosopher.
Ignorance is power.
Youngeqp

Post by Youngeqp »

Burning ghost wrote:"It would not harm the baby to kill it" ? ?

-- Updated November 21st, 2016, 5:17 am to add the following --

I would suggest doing some research into neurogenesis including prenatal if you're interested.

"blank slate" is dated and I doubt you'll find many, if any, neuroscientists that wouls say that is a reasonabke analogy.

A person is consciously"nothing" until it is made to be something. Through environment, rearing, and experiences of all types. We're pretty much computers. To be anything we have to be programed.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

We do not think any creature is a 'blank slate', but we still kill them.

If we think an unborn human baby deserves some special protection it must be based on something more than the fact they already have nerves, motor responses etc.
Youngeqp

Post by Youngeqp »

Londoner wrote:We do not think any creature is a 'blank slate', but we still kill them.

If we think an unborn human baby deserves some special protection it must be based on something more than the fact they already have nerves, motor responses etc.
A creature may have some instincts installed in them. But they are a blank slate until they learn otherwise. I tire of hearing that a person was born a certain way, whether straight or gay, brave or cowardly. What preconceived notions could an infant possible have of itself when it hasn't experienced life
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Youngeqp wrote: A creature may have some instincts installed in them. But they are a blank slate until they learn otherwise. I tire of hearing that a person was born a certain way, whether straight or gay, brave or cowardly. What preconceived notions could an infant possible have of itself when it hasn't experienced life
We could argue that we are only conscious when we have developed a sense of past and present, that is we can contrast how we are now, with how we were. Only when we can compare now with the past can we recognise ourselves as being continuous, and distinct from the world.

That means we must have experienced change. Does an unborn baby in the womb do that? You could argue that conscious life only begins with the trauma of birth.

As I suggested before, you could speculate that perhaps the fetus had some form of consciousness, some form of self awareness, but it seems unlikely that it would be greater than that of a cow, let alone a chimpanzee. And we do not regard such animals as resembling man so much that killing them is the equivalent of murdering a human.
Youngeqp

Post by Youngeqp »

Londoner wrote:
Youngeqp wrote: A creature may have some instincts installed in them. But they are a blank slate until they learn otherwise. I tire of hearing that a person was born a certain way, whether straight or gay, brave or cowardly. What preconceived notions could an infant possible have of itself when it hasn't experienced life
We could argue that we are only conscious when we have developed a sense of past and present, that is we can contrast how we are now, with how we were. Only when we can compare now with the past can we recognise ourselves as being continuous, and distinct from the world.

That means we must have experienced change. Does an unborn baby in the womb do that? You could argue that conscious life only begins with the trauma of birth.

As I suggested before, you could speculate that perhaps the fetus had some form of consciousness, some form of self awareness, but it seems unlikely that it would be greater than that of a cow, let alone a chimpanzee. And we do not regard such animals as resembling man so much that killing them is the equivalent of murdering a human.
Precisely. That's logic speaking. But morally I still wouldn't abort a baby after like 3 months of incubation
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Renee -

You made me laugh so hard! Why are you talking about the "Bible"? What bizarre set of values have you attached to me now?

I think you are displaying some issues you have and are projecting them onto me. It is quite comical. I suggest you read back what I've written and see if you've possibly mistaken someone elses words for mine? I sincerely hope so for your sake or I'll have to remove the "I think" form the first sentence of this paragraph.

That said maybe I have been a little naughty in not clarifying what I said. You sounded so vehement I couldnt resist seeing where you'd go with your responses.

I don't consider my existence as "miserable" either. I often do and I often find my existence quite a fascinating and enticing subject too. Are you playing "poke the person I believe to be a religous zealot with a stick"?

Haha

-- Updated November 21st, 2016, 11:48 am to add the following --

Young -

Like I said, if it interests you do some research. We are incredible learners in our early years.
AKA badgerjelly
Youngeqp

Post by Youngeqp »

Burning ghost wrote:Renee -

You made me laugh so hard! Why are you talking about the "Bible"? What bizarre set of values have you attached to me now?

I think you are displaying some issues you have and are projecting them onto me. It is quite comical. I suggest you read back what I've written and see if you've possibly mistaken someone elses words for mine? I sincerely hope so for your sake or I'll have to remove the "I think" form the first sentence of this paragraph.

That said maybe I have been a little naughty in not clarifying what I said. You sounded so vehement I couldnt resist seeing where you'd go with your responses.

I don't consider my existence as "miserable" either. I often do and I often find my existence quite a fascinating and enticing subject too. Are you playing "poke the person I believe to be a religous zealot with a stick"?

Haha

-- Updated November 21st, 2016, 11:48 am to add the following --

Young -

Like I said, if it interests you do some research. We are incredible learners in our early years.
Research isn't needed. And honestly the subject of neuroscience doesn't interest me much. With that beyond said, we are at our prime in learning at our earliest years. The reason being is that we seek information, we don't believe that we know much of anything. I sincerely wish that philosophical enthusiast could see as clearly as children.

The problem here isn't neurological, even computers have neutral systems, after all they're based on the human brain now a days. The problem here is a psychological one.
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Well ... er ... Okay, I guess? Let us not let actual research hinder our opinions about how we think the world operates.

Given that is not what you meant care to back up what you're saying with some psychological research?

I read a book called "The Scientist in the Crib - What early learning tells us about the mind". It doesn't appear what you are saying has much foundation from what I've read. This book was written by professional psychologists, although it is a little dated now.
AKA badgerjelly
Youngeqp

Post by Youngeqp »

Burning ghost wrote:Well ... er ... Okay, I guess? Let us not let actual research hinder our opinions about how we think the world operates.

Given that is not what you meant care to back up what you're saying with some psychological research?

I read a book called "The Scientist in the Crib - What early learning tells us about the mind". It doesn't appear what you are saying has much foundation from what I've read. This book was written by professional psychologists, although it is a little dated now.

I'm not saying that research isn't vital. It just wasn't needed for my point. The thing about psychology, especially books is that they are all out dated. By the time you read something there are already newer ideas out there.

I will not refer you to an author because I am not into broad teachings, I am into direct, absolute truths. And the absolute truth of psychology is that in order for an individual to know something, it has to be taught; either by peers, environment, etc.

There are various methods of learning in psychology but to learn one must be taught. That's the only idea that I'm trying to convey
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Okay, be evasive. Not interested.
AKA badgerjelly

Return to “Ethics and Morality”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream