Eating Animals

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder

Re: Eating Animals

Post Number:#766  Postby Unnecessary » February 17th, 2017, 6:08 pm

This is an interesting argument because we protect animals we believe to be pets and slaughter the ones we believe to be food.

I am not a vegetarian, but I believe that as a society we have become lazy about our actions. It is true that the smallest habits can make very large dent in our environment and our society. Because we don't witness the impact, we believe those who are passionate about the problems to be exaggerating. Even our methods of slaughter have become sloppy in some areas, and that is a good question too...if we are murdering animals why murder them nicely?

I suppose this is a very unorganized answer, but to me a lot goes hand in hand. I really don't know the answer to this question...because it is hard to answer. Is it right to kill 20,000 cows a day and throw out hundreds of unused meat? Is it right to cut down more forests to allow more cattle slaughter to accommodate the burst in small business restaurants? Is it right to add chemicals and toxins to our food in order to accommodate the grocery stores that are opening up? Is it right to throw out what will not bring income, is it that wrong to donate for no reason?
Unnecessary
New Trial Member

Become a member for less ads

Already a member? Login

Post Number:#767  Postby LuckyR » February 22nd, 2017, 12:27 pm

Unnecessary wrote:This is an interesting argument because we protect animals we believe to be pets and slaughter the ones we believe to be food.

I am not a vegetarian, but I believe that as a society we have become lazy about our actions. It is true that the smallest habits can make very large dent in our environment and our society. Because we don't witness the impact, we believe those who are passionate about the problems to be exaggerating. Even our methods of slaughter have become sloppy in some areas, and that is a good question too...if we are murdering animals why murder them nicely?

I suppose this is a very unorganized answer, but to me a lot goes hand in hand. I really don't know the answer to this question...because it is hard to answer. Is it right to kill 20,000 cows a day and throw out hundreds of unused meat? Is it right to cut down more forests to allow more cattle slaughter to accommodate the burst in small business restaurants? Is it right to add chemicals and toxins to our food in order to accommodate the grocery stores that are opening up? Is it right to throw out what will not bring income, is it that wrong to donate for no reason?

You are correct that your post covers many topics superficially. One place to start is to parse the difference between: "right" and "legal". There are plenty of things that are wrong but not illegal. In fact of all of the things that are wrong, most are legal (or at least not illegal).
"As usual... it depends."
LuckyR

Previous

Return to Ethics and Morality