Why do people murder?

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
Samhains

Re: Why do people murder?

Post by Samhains »

anarchyisbliss wrote: Sarcasm noted, nice one
Hehehe, Your kind of right though, Murder use to be the right of the individual who was wronged. People did it all the time, killed disobediant slaves, and no one thought anything of it, there was no moral or ethical problem with disposing of "property" persay..

From egyptian times to the building of the Americas.

Now if you kill too many people, they just kill you..but it's ok if you did it in the name of the Government, in war, cause now your a hero, and the christian "Thou shall not kill" goes right out the window...again in less your killing people in your own street...and thats, if thoughs people are not the enemy that is.

I think murder can be fun :) make it a sport, like in roman times.
mike

Post by mike »

There is only one true answer for this one to me; people murder because they choose to. In life we make choices. Other than that murder is unessary, there's no reason. (Self defense isn't murder)
anarchyisbliss

Post by anarchyisbliss »

mike wrote: Other than that murder is unessary, there's no reason. (Self defense isn't murder)
It may be necessary if someone crosses personal boundaries and you get territorial. Or if someone threatens you you may murder them. In fact, maybe those one out often serial killers who just do it out of compulsion are actually here for population control. After all, human beings' numbers are getting a little out of control.
"If there is hope, it lies in the proles." - George Orwell, 1984
mike

Post by mike »

You're so much as saying there is 'nessasary' murder. Heh, maybye you're going out on a limb a bit there.
Serial killers are "here" "for" "population control".(?) The concept of anyone existing for the sole purpose of the 'cosmos' insinuates that there is some larger plan or somthing. I say why does there have to be some larger "scheme of things" cause maybye there is none. Population control? Well who goes and who stays I ask you sir?
anarchyisbliss

Post by anarchyisbliss »

mike wrote:You're so much as saying there is 'nessasary' murder. Heh, maybye you're going out on a limb a bit there.
Serial killers are "here" "for" "population control".(?) The concept of anyone existing for the sole purpose of the 'cosmos' insinuates that there is some larger plan or somthing. I say why does there have to be some larger "scheme of things" cause maybye there is none. Population control? Well who goes and who stays I ask you sir?
That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that it is possible when human populations spike, nature breeds a mindless serial killer to help control the population. And who says there isn't a grand scheme, there's more to life than just humanity.
mike

Post by mike »

What in "life" sir can you yourself experience that would be "outside humanity"?
anarchyisbliss

Post by anarchyisbliss »

mike wrote:What in "life" sir can you yourself experience that would be "outside humanity"?
Are you kidding me? The entire world doesn't cling to the existence of human beings. If we were to be wiped out life would carry on. There are other living and non living organisms that carry out their lives or fulfill their purposes without putting human beings into the equation. If we all died do you think ants would stop building ant hills just because we wouldn't be studying them, do you think planets would stop rotating simply because we aren't looking at them through telescopes, do you think grass would stop being green just because we arent mowing it?
mike

Post by mike »

oh yes perhaps they would. Are you you're ant's keeper or you're brothers'
Psyco_BoB

Post by Psyco_BoB »

cynicallyinsane wrote:It seems everyone always agrees that murder is wrong.
I tend to disagree with this statement.
I am also not sure if you mean "murder" - the word (in definition)or the "murder" the actual act. If it's the word, then I'll agree, but the latter will depend on the definnition of the word based on the act in question. I'll explain...

1) Currently there are military operations going on in the Middle East. All the parties involved has experienced a number of casualties. The families of these soldiers are more likely to think of the death of their family member as "murder", where the opposing forces might think of it as retribution for the wrong that has been done against them and vice versa.
2) The word murder is also relative to a sense of morality. In psychological terms, a person classified as a psychopath is not a "maniac killer". These people are unfortunate human beings without the ability to experience emotions and therefore lacking the morality associated wit it. Thus they are more likely to have criminal tendencies than normal people. To these people life has no meaning (because the lack of emotions & morality causes detachment), thus they do not think of people as "human" but rather as "interactive objects". And to destroy an object is not murder. So ultimately this means the psychopath does not see it (what we perceive as "murder"), as murder.

So if one can't see one's deed as murder, it is not possible for it to be murder.

This to me is is murder in context of a morality point of view. In law its a whole different story.
mike

Post by mike »

If you ask people on the street, 99 per cent would say that murder is wrong. So what cylyinsane said, "People always seem to agree that murder is wrong" is actually a pretty airtight statment and you're just galivanting.
Psyco_BoB

Post by Psyco_BoB »

mike wrote:If you ask people on the street, 99 per cent would say that murder is wrong. So what cylyinsane said, "People always seem to agree that murder is wrong" is actually a pretty airtight statment and you're just galivanting.
In your ignorance you actualy proved my point. You have your own notion about what can be defined as murder. That definition and the act it describes is moraly wrong in your eyes. Now, I am merely stating that everyone doesn't have the same notion about the definition of murder. Therefore it is the word and the meaning acompanied with it that is said to be wrong. If you ask a a prisoner convicted of murder if murder is wrong, i'm sure the prisoner would agree with the statement. But ask them if they see the act they have been convicted of as murder, the responce would be quite different.

And please, try reading AND understandig posts before you try to insult someone. In philosophy an insult on someone else is actually a reflection of comprehention on oneself.
mike

Post by mike »

Touche' You're quite right but I think what you're driving at could be seen as healthy living but, be moderate with the 'good person' thing cause perfectionism is a disease.
nameless

Post by nameless »

cynicallyinsane wrote:It seems everyone always agrees that murder is wrong.

It might 'seem' like that to you, but is incorrect, in the larger sense. I, for one, do not always agree that 'murder' is 'wrong'. I would say that 'murder' (the deliberate killing of another human being) is not 'right' nor 'wrong', as I do not 'moralize/judge' that 'Is'.
So, why do people do it? Why do people commit murder?
Because it is their (our) 'nature'. It is who we are. People try to find justification, reasons, but 'cause and effect' is an obsolete notion waiting to be burried.
We all do as we must. There is no 'free-will/choice' so, hence, no 'why', just 'Is'.
nameless

Post by nameless »

mike wrote:If you ask people on the street, 99 per cent would say that murder is wrong. So what cylyinsane said, "People always seem to agree that murder is wrong" is actually a pretty airtight statment and you're just galivanting.
Even assuming that you didn't just pull your '99% assertion' out of your.. hat..;
99% =/= "always"
Lots of room for air, breathe!
mike

Post by mike »

Cyniclyinsane used the word "seems" when he\she originally said "always". If the 'seems' wasn't there, I wouldn't have agreed with the statement. The 'seems' covers the 1 percent, no?
(,, my hat)

Return to “Ethics and Morality”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream