If there is a God, why is there evil?

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
The Beast

Re: If there is a God, why is there evil?

Post by The Beast »

Aion 371: “In Alchemy the snake is the symbol of Mercurius non vulgi, who was bracketed with the God of revelation”. The mechanisms of human thought are relative to a Universal thought. At the speed of thought I am faster from alpha to Omega than a single thought of Creation. I am the workings of the single thought as real as reality travelling from beginning to end. As the Universe goes from alpha to Omega, the inner works of thought are changed by the learned revealed bias. At the end, It is then that God might say: this is good.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Fooloso4 wrote:
Yes, this much I understood. What I don’t understand is why the problem of evil goes away if we acknowledge that the love we create is not all-powerful.
The problem of evil as usually understood pertains only to God as Entity.

Because the love that we create is what we do it's not what we are. If there were such as "what we are" that would constitute an eternal form of the human, i.e. an end state of humans , a closure of possibility. Creation is not an entity or even The Entity, but a process.

Pragmatically, to believe that creation is an entity, is to allow idolatry.
Socrateaze
Favorite Philosopher: George Carlin

Post by Socrateaze »

There is no God and if there were why would he/she be concerned with little specs of dust? You talk about bad things happening to good people, that is too many adjectives. Things happen to people, would be more accurate and the judgement of those things and people is most likely an illusion or wishful thinking. Just because we can judge, doesn't mean our judgement is right, yet we have made our judgment law in a universe that follows its own law. We wish we can change the universe and we convince ourselves of how it must be. Perhaps this is why we don't understand God, if there is one we have missed him/her in shaping God to our wishes.
Atreyu
Favorite Philosopher: P.D. Ouspensky

Post by Atreyu »

Perhaps a better question is: Why would not there be evil if there is a God?
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Atreyu wrote:Perhaps a better question is: Why would not there be evil if there is a God?
The OP's ridiculous question makes several silly assumptions. First, that if there is a being infinitely more intelligent and powerful than humans, it would then: A) care about beings infinitely less intelligent than itself, then B) eliminate negativity for these insignificant beings thereby C) destroying the only possible entertainment value of these creations ie their Free Will.

To quote Mr Spock, "illogical".
"As usual... it depends."
Socrateaze
Favorite Philosopher: George Carlin

Post by Socrateaze »

LuckyR wrote:
Atreyu wrote:Perhaps a better question is: Why would not there be evil if there is a God?
The OP's ridiculous question makes several silly assumptions. First, that if there is a being infinitely more intelligent and powerful than humans, it would then: A) care about beings infinitely less intelligent than itself, then B) eliminate negativity for these insignificant beings thereby C) destroying the only possible entertainment value of these creations ie their Free Will.

To quote Mr Spock, "illogical".
Indeed, Mr Spock, I think it must be quite entertaining to watch mortals with half-baked ideas on reality call out for a God dressed in their own whims. Besides, if death is just the gateway to paradise, suffering should be relished, right? I personally don't believe in evil, just smart people rising above sociology the way Kings and governments rose to their quick fortunes and empires. Or as George Carlin said, 'if there is a natural disaster, I always hope it gets worse.'
-1-

Post by -1- »

There is good, there is evil, but it is the Christian scriptures that connected the two as opposite ends of a spectrum. God is good, and the devil is evil.

It all gets done by adding one letter to the concept. Purer even than semantics.

If there is evil in this world, it has been created by god, if you believe the bible, the koran, etc. because it was God that created everything.

That brings up the question, who created god? If god created everything, it created itself as well. Is that possible? Does not a creator's existence necessarily predate the existence of its creations? I am not smart enough to figure that one out. If the answer is "No, it does not," then god created itself.

Is there any good in creating evil? God is called infinitely good, but how credible is that claim? In fact, how credible is the claim that god exists? I give credit to the op, who worded the op as "given that god exists, why is there evil?" This is a valid question.
This search engine is powered by Hunger, Thirst, and a desperate need to Mate.
Ranvier

Post by Ranvier »

God exists because I exist :)
Please forgive my god complex... but evil exists because I'm surrounded by all these fools.
Kinyonga

Post by Kinyonga »

-1 wrote:That brings up the question, who created god? If god created everything, it created itself as well. Is that possible? Does not a creator's existence necessarily predate the existence of its creations? I am not smart enough to figure that one out. If the answer is "No, it does not," then god created itself.

Is there any good in creating evil? God is called infinitely good, but how credible is that claim? In fact, how credible is the claim that god exists? I give credit to the op, who worded the op as "given that god exists, why is there evil?" This is a valid question.
I think a creator would have to predate the existence of its creations. Nothingness can't create something. God was never created; He always existed.
God didn't create evil: He gave people free will; the choice to be good or evil. What would be the point (to a fair, loving God) of creating humans if they were just to be machines, obeying automatically?
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Hi Kinyonga. Welcome :)
Ranvier

Post by Ranvier »

Time is change > Evil is the cause for change > without change there can be no life = evil is necessary for life to exist

-- Updated August 26th, 2017, 4:47 am to add the following --

There can be no Evil without Good > take the above = in order for life to exist "God" must be good

-- Updated August 26th, 2017, 4:52 am to add the following --

Wow, I think I just proved not only the existence of God but that God is good :)

-- Updated August 26th, 2017, 4:56 am to add the following --

Only if of course one can accept that "God" is time.

-- Updated August 26th, 2017, 5:25 am to add the following --

Time is infinite > God is Infinity

-- Updated August 26th, 2017, 5:31 am to add the following --

For a scientific mind

Matter is Infinity of particle-wave

Particle = m
wave = light

God = mc^2

My gratitude goes Einstein
Misty
Premium Member

Post by Misty »

God "IS" "I AM" --- "I AM" created time as humans know time, therefore, not subject to time, "I AM" is not subject to his creation. Creation is subject to "I AM"
Last edited by Misty on August 26th, 2017, 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Things are not always as they appear; it's a matter of perception.

The eyes can only see what the mind has, is, or will be prepared to comprehend.

I am Lion, hear me ROAR! Meow.
Ranvier

Post by Ranvier »

Beautiful Misty! It so easy to "get it" now.

-- Updated August 26th, 2017, 6:01 am to add the following --

I think I just fulfilled my purpose in life :)

-- Updated August 26th, 2017, 6:21 am to add the following --

We are literally... each of us "discovering" God in our own way as we are part of the infinite.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Kinyonga:
God didn't create evil: He gave people free will; the choice to be good or evil. What would be the point (to a fair, loving God) of creating humans if they were just to be machines, obeying automatically?
Having tinkered about with making simple robots myself, I would recommend it to God as quite good fun, even though they are completely deterministic. To a clueless mortal like me, a deterministic computer program can still do surprising and interesting things because the complex behaviour of even quite simple computer programs can be hard to predict in advance. But to an omniscient being? Would any computer program, no matter how complex, be boring to Him?
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

I'm thinking that if God knows everything, then It would know who was going to get their lives right and who would stuff up anyway, in which case we'd all be pointlessly playing out our roles.

Still, many humans can be extremely skilled at anticipating others' choices and determining their most likely paths in the future. Given that even very perspicacious humans are specks on an Earth that is a speck in the solar system that is a speck in a galaxy that is a speck in galactic superclusters that are a speck in the cosmic web that is a speck of God, one would expect God to be so many "moves ahead" that It would surely be able to anticipate people's choices throughout their entire lives (and much more).

That would leave God watching on as doomed people stumbled inevitably to their doom. Since that is silly, it opens up an interesting duality based on non-omnipotence and non-omniscience.

If something like God exists, it could be that, like Ra and Apep, there is a hungry, chaotic quantum void being held at bay by heroic God, who must always fight off the Void from which It (God) emerged! Like eukaryotes rising from the slimy swamp of prokaryotes, the emergent forms must forever continue fighting the sea of little beasts from which they emerged which constantly try to reclaim the upstarts. So God, having emerged from The Void, must forever keep The Void from trying to reclaim its product.

So the deity is not outside but lies within all life, planets, stars, asteroids, comets and even molecular dust clouds and radiation belts - all doing God's bidding in fighting off The Void. In the end, The Void's greedy mouths (black holes) will dominate before its next grand regurgitation (aka big bang). Then, like Sisyphus, once again poor God will be is forced to slowly emerge from the mindless forms of energy and matter until It can evolve another sentience. The only consolation is that the last universe was not completely absorbed - a few precipitously redshifted photons remained, acting the DNA for the next universe and, eventually, its deities.

Yet The Void is not evil. It just is. It doesn't care but it claims everything in the end - apart from the seeds of the next generation.

:)

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream