Does God Exist?

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.

Re: Does God Exist?

Post Number:#1156  Postby Spectrum » November 14th, 2017, 4:01 am

Dark Matter wrote:
The only reason why the idea of God emerged onto human consciousness and cognition is due to psychological impulses to deal with an inherent existential crisis.

Sounds to me you're the one with "psychological impulses to deal with an inherent existential crisis." You suffer from an underlying insecurity and/or doubt so you convince yourself you prove things you do not, claim to have rational argument when they wouldn't get you a passing grade in first year philosophy class, claim to be open to what other people say but don't want to know what they mean by "God" or "perfection," and rely on pseudo psychology to make yourself feel superior. (I could make a longer list for the occurrences in your Bizarro World, but what would be the point?)

You don't realize your philosophical knowledge is narrow and shallow.

Refer to the Link and book on Divine Perfection you provided and note;
The center of attention is the human psychological state, and here one is reminded of the writings of Kierkegaard. - page 54

Most of the Eastern Spiritualities and Philosophies focus on the psychological impulses in detail.
Not-a-theist. Religion is a critical necessity for humanity now, but not the FUTURE.
Spectrum

Favorite Philosopher: Eclectic -Various

Become a member for less ads

Already a member? Login

Post Number:#1157  Postby Dark Matter » November 14th, 2017, 2:39 pm

As usual. you take things out of context. Why do you do that? What are you afraid of?
Dark Matter

Favorite Philosopher: Paul Tillich

Post Number:#1158  Postby Atreyu » November 14th, 2017, 8:36 pm

Spectrum wrote:To claim the Whole Universe is a sentient Being is a wild stretch.
I have shown in the other thread why your 'the Universe is a sentient being, thus is God' is not tenable at all.

How so? How is it a 'wild stretch'?

I say it's a 'wild stretch' to assume it isn't. To assume that it's all just a bunch of "stuff". Because that implies abiogenesis, the wildest stretch ever. Nothing 'stretches it' like believing the laws of nature, and particularly of biology, were fundamentally different a few billion years ago.

I guess I missed your proofs. Please repeat them. The position is quite tenable to me. Perhaps for no other reason than with it, I do not have to create the idea of abiogenesis, or the idea of mindless matter becoming conscious, in order to reconcile it with the facts.
Atreyu

Favorite Philosopher: P.D. Ouspensky

Post Number:#1159  Postby Spectrum » November 14th, 2017, 9:06 pm

Atreyu wrote:
Spectrum wrote:To claim the Whole Universe is a sentient Being is a wild stretch.
I have shown in the other thread why your 'the Universe is a sentient being, thus is God' is not tenable at all.

How so? How is it a 'wild stretch'?

I say it's a 'wild stretch' to assume it isn't. To assume that it's all just a bunch of "stuff". Because that implies abiogenesis, the wildest stretch ever. Nothing 'stretches it' like believing the laws of nature, and particularly of biology, were fundamentally different a few billion years ago.

I guess I missed your proofs. Please repeat them. The position is quite tenable to me. Perhaps for no other reason than with it, I do not have to create the idea of abiogenesis, or the idea of mindless matter becoming conscious, in order to reconcile it with the facts.

Here is the proof;
viewtopic.php?p=298879#p298879
You replied to it so you must have found it subsequently.
Not-a-theist. Religion is a critical necessity for humanity now, but not the FUTURE.
Spectrum

Favorite Philosopher: Eclectic -Various

Previous

Return to Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology