Why did God create the world and man?

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Re: Why did God create the world and man?

Post by Eduk » December 6th, 2017, 12:14 pm

I have no doubt that you'll meet him
I like to think that one of the functions of free will is that I can change my mind (note there is a difference between my mind changing and me changing my mind). That I am an I, that I have agency and competency. But I have no proof that it is possible to change your mind. Indeed statements like the above rather refute the idea.
My suspicion is that I am not an absolute I but rather an imperfect I with limitations. I can to an extent change my mind but only within certain restrictions. I do not know what I should do with that belief though. As it rather dehumanises us all to an extent.
I should probably worry less about insanity and simply get on with my life but I don't find within myself the lack of love needed to do that easily.

Dark Matter
Favorite Philosopher: Paul Tillich

Post by Dark Matter » December 7th, 2017, 1:54 pm

Tadstormy wrote:
September 3rd, 2013, 5:07 pm
Why did God create the world and man? God, by definition, does not lack anything. If so, then why did God create the world and man? Does the world and man fill in some lack in God’s own being?

Did he feel bored? Did he feel lonely? Did he need someone to praise and glorify him? Did he have a need to dominate? Did he have a need to love and to be loved back? So, was he needy? These are all very much human traits and hardly traits we expect God to possess.

Is there any reason why God may have created the world and man other than to fill in some lack in his own being? After all, wasn’t everything already perfect before God decided to create the world and man? Then why create the world and man, especially with a tempation to spoil it and bring in imperfection?
Why must there be a why?

Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Post by Eduk » December 7th, 2017, 3:34 pm

Why must there be a why?
I agree 'why' likely is meaningless when applied to 'things' not of this universe. Also 'not of this universe' is likely meaningless in that context. And 'things' are likely meaningless in that context.

However the claim in various holy texts is rarely that they can make no claims.

Namelesss

Post by Namelesss » December 8th, 2017, 10:11 pm

Tadstormy wrote:
September 3rd, 2013, 5:07 pm
Why did God create the world and man?
Your question presupposes a given; that God DID 'create' anything!
The failure of your 'given' = failure of question!
'Creation/causality' is impossible, scientifically and philosophically!
Thus there is no 'why' for an impossibility.

Tamminen

Post by Tamminen » Yesterday, 3:55 pm

God wondered if He should create the world or not. He decided not to do it. But now Man got furious: ”What kind of a Creator are you, not doing what you are supposed to do? Create me at least.” So God had to create Man and the world for him to live in.