The New Testament

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
Ruskin

Re: The New Testament

Post by Ruskin »

James195101 wrote: Clearly Jesus did not resurrect
You're not going to explain why this is clear then you're just going to state it?

The next one is his divinity. Clearly Jesus did not claim to be divine and clearly his teachings do not depend on such a ridiculous claim.
Well he did speak and forgive sins under the direct authority of God rather than on behalf of God which caused a stir. He didn't flat out say he was God but would tend to slip in hints like "I am" and this even provoked a stoning attack. Unless you want to say the Bible is corrupted by man but you're going to heavily support Islam particularly if you deny the resurrection as well. Unless you are a Muslim in which case I suppose you would heavily support Islam.
Darryl Thomas

Post by Darryl Thomas »

How can anyone think that the New Testament is an eye-witness account of the times of Jesus, or that it is the word of God, when it is plainly the work of thousands of scribes translating various versions in different centuries - and all voted upon by a council of rich, biased men?
Of all the points listed above, I find the only one that is not an impossibility is that the Gospel stories (legendary fiction as they exist in their present form) were based on eye - witness accounts. It is possible that some of the stories - maybe one or two scenes - where based on eyewitness accounts - obviously, any student of New Testament studies would understand that such accounts underwent years, decades and centruies of embellishments, variations, editing, excising and doctrinization.

Obviously my opinion necessitates the existence of an "historical Jesus" - which the legends of Christ were attached and projected onto. It makes more sense to me that some historical ripple took place that caused a remote, backwater anonymous cult in the Middle East to emerge into a religious empire in the span of three centuries!
Ruskin

Post by Ruskin »

Back in that time oral accounts were a standard and efficient means of recording and passing on knowledge seeing as few people could read. The oral accounts were later compiled into the gospels giving you access to the authentic historical truth, with some margin for error. What you need to ask yourself is whether Jesus rose from the dead or not because if he did.
James195101

Post by James195101 »

Ruskin wrote:
James195101 wrote: Clearly Jesus did not resurrect
You're not going to explain why this is clear then you're just going to state it?

The next one is his divinity. Clearly Jesus did not claim to be divine and clearly his teachings do not depend on such a ridiculous claim.
Well he did speak and forgive sins under the direct authority of God rather than on behalf of God which caused a stir. He didn't flat out say he was God but would tend to slip in hints like "I am" and this even provoked a stoning attack. Unless you want to say the Bible is corrupted by man but you're going to heavily support Islam particularly if you deny the resurrection as well. Unless you are a Muslim in which case I suppose you would heavily support Islam.
Life experience has taught me that truly dead life-forms are dead. Parts of the Bible are true, and parts are 'concoctions to make a point'. Using personal life experience, you can normally tell which is which, although some are guesswork. My definition of God is that He is a human concept, and so a person cannot sensibly claim to be God. I do think that Islam was created by the wise men of the East who rejected Jesus' divinity and resurrection, like the Jews and like clear thinkers.
Darryl Thomas

Post by Darryl Thomas »

Ruskin wrote:Back in that time oral accounts were a standard and efficient means of recording and passing on knowledge seeing as few people could read. The oral accounts were later compiled into the gospels giving you access to the authentic historical truth, with some margin for error. What you need to ask yourself is whether Jesus rose from the dead or not because if he did.
I suspect Jesus intended to rise from the dead - and since it's been a 2000 year running of a failed prophecy, we are forced to admit that things that die tend to stay that way.
edelker

Post by edelker »

Ruskin wrote,
“Back in that time oral accounts were a standard and efficient means of recording and passing on knowledge seeing as few people could read. The oral accounts were later compiled into the gospels giving you access to the authentic historical truth, with some margin for error. What you need to ask yourself is whether Jesus rose from the dead or not because if he did.”

We have no idea how historically accurate the oral accounts were or what they were accounts of: were they accounts of myths that grew up around a historical figure; were they accounts of specific religious themes that several authors had in mind (the gospel of Matthew, for instance, is believed by several scholars to be a set of theological treatises that were later sown together into one book by the early Church); or did they only involve some actual history in the course of making a kind of argument that is wholly lost to us now etc.? We cannot say. I doubt that you accept the oral traditions of other religions that gave rise to written theologies as also being historically true—see those religions of Ancient Rome and Greece as well as the religions of Islam and Mormonism. Moreover, we know that there were several conflations and revisions in earlier copies.

But even if we allow for the idea that what we have is a well-documented set of written works, all we have, logically speaking, is a well-documented set of copied works—meaning: that these works were copied successfully from the original sources. That’s it. It says nothing about the historical accuracy of those original sources or even if history was the goal of those original sources (since the whole concept of historical accuracy is a rather new--Modern-- phenomenon, it is doubtful that the ancient oral traditions or the original written works were interested in representing historically accurate chronology). The ancients wrote thematically and typically had little to no interest in actual chronology and historical reporting for the sake of historical reporting.

Also, Pascal's Wager applied to Christ’s resurrection is no more convincing a wager (or argument--well, its not an argument at all) just because it deals with a resurrection.

Eric D.
Ruskin

Post by Ruskin »

edelker wrote:

We have no idea how historically accurate the oral accounts were or what they were accounts of

At least we can assume there must have been an empty tomb involved as they all agree on that point. There must have also been some kind of "experience" of Jesus after his death as well much as say Saint Paul had on the road to Damascus. It should be noted that Paul was hostile to Christianity at the time. So you have both the empty tomb (note that it was women who discovered it) and the post death experiences of Jesus by hundreds of people living at the time. This was recorded a mere 20 or so years after Jesus death. So everything that's not too bad even if it's not quite a contemporary account.

We cannot say.

We can't say for certain but I'd suggest this is the best we have to go on, better than Mohammeds revelation or whatever else. It's better to concentrate on whether God or the supernatural exists and so tackle the "atheism question" head on before you can get to this stage. If you're an atheist you wouldn't really have any good reason to believe that this was anything but a mass hallucination or shared delusion so that's where I would prefer to direct your attention.

I doubt that you accept the oral traditions of other religions that gave rise to written theologies as also being historically true—see those religions of Ancient Rome and Greece as well as the religions of Islam and Mormonism.

The religions of Greece and Rome were primarily based on thousands of years of accumulated folklore and Islam and Mormonism are based purely on the saying of just one man, not even a man we can particularly trust. So we can respectfully clout all those other religions to one side and just focus on a Christianity versus atheism debate. Much of the debate will centre on whether God exists or not but there are plenty of strong arguments in Gods favour.

Moreover, we know that there were several conflations and revisions in earlier copies.
The gospels we have are more or less in the same form they were by the beginning of the 2nd century as we have remains of written texts that date back that far.

But even if we allow for the idea that what we have is a well-documented set of written works, all we have, logically speaking, is a well-documented set of copied works—meaning: that these works were copied successfully from the original sources. That’s it. It says nothing about the historical accuracy of those original sources or even if history was the goal of those original sources (since the whole concept of historical accuracy is a rather new--Modern-- phenomenon, it is doubtful that the ancient oral traditions or the original written works were interested in representing historically accurate chronology). The ancients wrote thematically and typically had little to no interest in actual chronology and historical reporting for the sake of historical reporting.

If Jesus rose from the dead this is academic and if he didn't then it's nothing to be concerned with.

Also, Pascal's Wager applied to Christ’s resurrection is no more convincing a wager (or argument--well, its not an argument at all) just because it deals with a resurrection.
If Jesus was risen then he is Lord and if he didn't he isn't we can keep this simple. Now there is a strong case that could stand up in a court of law that there was an empty tomb and there were shared post death experiences of Jesus of some nature. The only major reason to not believe in this would be a non-belief in the existence of God.
Darryl Thomas

Post by Darryl Thomas »

Ruskin wrote:
edelker wrote:

We have no idea how historically accurate the oral accounts were or what they were accounts of

At least we can assume there must have been an empty tomb involved as they all agree on that point. There must have also been some kind of "experience" of Jesus after his death as well much as say Saint Paul had on the road to Damascus.
The historocity of Paul is not beyond doubt. I've just finished Herman Detering's, "The Falsified Paul" where he mentions a curious fact:
"The letters, to which the apostle is indebted for the largest part of his fame, seem to have been forgotten for almost an entire century, until we encounter them in the middle of the second century in the hands of the heretic Marcion, who was excommunicated by the Catholic church in 144 CE."
– H. Detering (The Falsified Paul, p60)

There is no record that what emerged as the Catholic Church held any writings of Paul before Marcion's edition. It's well known that Marcion's collection of Paul's letters appeared first, along with his "Gospel." Some scholars claim, and I tend to agree, that Luke - Acts was a polemic response to the Marcionite collection - and colonized "Paul" and made him palatable to orthodxy. And really, who will say it is impossible that Marcion invented "Paul" as a mouthpiece to promote the Marcionite Gospel?
Ruskin

Post by Ruskin »

Well we seem to have St Pauls tomb and physical remains so he seems real enough.

"In June 2009, Pope Benedict XVI announced excavation results concerning the tomb of Paul at the Basilica of Saint Paul Outside the Walls. The sarcophagus was not opened but was examined by means of a probe, which revealed pieces of incense, purple and blue linen, and small bone fragments. The bone was radiocarbon dated to the 1st or 2nd century. According to the Vatican, these findings are consistent with the tradition that the tomb is Paul's.[83] The sarcophagus was inscribed in Latin saying, "Paul apostle martyr"
Darryl Thomas

Post by Darryl Thomas »

No, we have a place that is alleged to be "St. Paul's Tomb." Big difference. Only a theological commitment could lead one to believe that St. Paul's remains are currently interred in the basilica. Besides, the NT does not explicitly state that Paul was martyred, and Marcion apparently didn't relate any martyrdom stories of Paul at all. I've been investgating the possibility that all of Paul's works are polemical pseudepigraphica produced by the Marcioinite Christians that the Catholic church later appropriated and fashioned to legitimize its own historical DNA, and to me such a scenario makes sense. There was a countless number of competing Christian sects, movements and cults pre - Nicaea. Who can say which of those versions carried the most "truth?"
Ruskin

Post by Ruskin »

Darryl Thomas wrote:the NT does not explicitly state that Paul was martyred
It's unclear what exactly happened to him but if he was fictional you would think they would fill in all the missing details. Certainly he must have have died somehow and there were Christian persecutions going on at the time under Nero. Paul wouldn't be writing anything about his own death obviously.

There was a countless number of competing Christian sects, movements and cults pre - Nicaea. Who can say which of those versions carried the most "truth?"
The divisions tended to be over Christs divinity, the Jewish laws, and the apparent evilness of the Old Testament God but I don't see why St Paul would be need to be invented by anyone.
Darryl Thomas

Post by Darryl Thomas »

Curious that the earliest Christian apologists (Pliny, Tacitus, Justin and others) don't ever mention Paul. Plus the fact that the "Paul" in the Acts ( a selfless member of a group) and the one in that appears in the epistles (self-important busybody) are two very different characters. Paul's epiphany at Damascus is nowhere related within the Epistles that bear his name. Curious. Could the figure of Paul be largely a pious fiction?
Ruskin

Post by Ruskin »

You may as well say all Christian Saints were pious fictions as they generally they all had supernatural experiences, visions or capabilities related to them.
Rederic
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell

Post by Rederic »

Ruskin wrote:Back in that time oral accounts were a standard and efficient means of recording and passing on knowledge seeing as few people could read. The oral accounts were later compiled into the gospels giving you access to the authentic historical truth, with some margin for error. What you need to ask yourself is whether Jesus rose from the dead or not because if he did.

Jesus Christ wrote no account of himself, of his birth, parentage, or any thing else; not a line of what is called the New Testament is of his own writing. The history of him is altogether the work of other people; and as to the account given of his resurrection and ascension, it was the necessary counterpart to the story of his birth. His historians having brought him into the world in a supernatural manner, were obliged to take him out again in the same manner, or the first part of the story must have fallen to the ground.

The wretched contrivance with which this latter part is told exceeds every thing that went before it. The first part, that of the miraculous conception, was not a thing that admitted of publicity; and therefore the tellers of this part of the story had this advantage, that though they might not be credited, they could not be detected. They could not be expected to prove it, because it was not one of those things that admitted of proof, and it was impossible that the person of whom it was told could prove it himself.

But the resurrection of a dead person from the grave, and his ascension through the air, is a thing very different as to the evidence it admits of, to the invisible conception of a child in the womb. The resurrection and ascension, supposing them to have taken place, admitted of public and ocular demonstration, like that of the ascension of a balloon, or the sun at noon-day, to all Jerusalem at least. A thing which everybody is required to believe, requires that the proof and evidence of it should be equal to all, and universal; and as the public visibility of this last related act was the only evidence that could give sanction to the former part, the whole of it falls to the ground, because that evidence never was given. Instead of this, a small number of persons, not more than eight or nine, are introduced as proxies for the whole world, to say they saw it, and all the rest of the world are called upon to believe it. But it appears that Thomas did not believe the resurrection, and, as they say, would not believe without having ocular and manual demonstration himself. So neither will I, and the reason is equally as good for me, and for every other person, as for Thomas.

It is in vain to attempt to palliate or disguise this matter. The story, so far as relates to the supernatural part, has every mark of fraud and imposition stamped upon the face of it. Who were the authors of it is as impossible for us now to know, as it is for us to be assured that the books in which the account is related were written by the persons whose names they bear; the best surviving evidence we now have respecting that affair is the Jews. They are regularly descended from the people who lived in the times this resurrection and ascension is said to have happened, and they say, it is not true. It has long appeared to me a strange inconsistency to cite the Jews as a proof of the truth of the story. It is just the same as if a man were to say, I will prove the truth of what I have told you by producing the people who say it is false. Thomas Paine.
If Jesus rose from the dead this is academic and if he didn't then it's nothing to be concerned with.
If Jesus didn't rise from the dead, do we still have Christianity?
Religion is at its best when it makes us ask hard questions of ourselves.
It is at its worst when it deludes us into thinking we have all the answers for everybody else.
Archibald Macleish.
Jklint

Post by Jklint »

Rederic wrote:
If Jesus didn't rise from the dead, do we still have Christianity?
That is literally the whole premise of Christianity for which Paul is responsible that Christ rose from the dead. Every aspect in the life of Jesus was merely incidental and of almost of no consequence to Paul until that final consummation. Paul gave it its raison d'etre while the gospels not long after gave it it's most endearing narrative stories...and "stories" impress and touch the common folk much more than philosophy.

The history of Christianity is like a giant quilt woven by exceptionally brilliant knitters. Whether or not it's the Greatest Story ever told, it is certainly the longest. By now that quilt should be a rag if it weren't constantly treated with preservatives.

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream