Immortality as a reward in religion

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
NewAsc
New Trial Member

Immortality as a reward in religion

Post by NewAsc »

Many religions promise immortality as a reward to its worshippers. This is usually part of a post-life or next-life existence, supposedly a happier one. Whether it is in a specific case reward or consolation is not what I want to discuss. Neither is the topic of immortality as punishment.

The question I would like to pose is why do you think immortality is so tantalising and in one way or another almost omnipresent aspect of religion. For me it is as fascinating concept as well as menacing one. To exist forever, seeing either people and civilisations to wither and die or to be forced to endure them indefinitely is to me quite horrifying. Being able to explore so much of the life delights at the price of either experiencing as much pain and loss, or losing the aspect of transience giving sense to so much of our existence.

Why do you think is this state of existence offered as a reward in so many instances? What features would a human mind have to possess to even withstand it and not go insane over the time?

Thank you for giving me your time reading and/or answering my question and line of thought.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Re: Immortality as a reward in religion

Post by Sy Borg »

It seems from accounts that those who have near death experiences largely disconnect from worldly concerns. To start, priorities change when death approaches. Much that concerns us is simply the process of entropic breakdown at larger scales that ultimately prevents stagnation and opens up growth possibilities. The idea always calls Rome to mind for me, a city hamstrung and gridlocked by its inability to develop much large tracts of the city that contain historically significant relics. The decaying beauty of ancient Rome can be preserved, but that brings an opportunity cost in lost growth potential.

The problem with death is loss. So many connections are broken and learning and methods developed for dealing with the world are lost. It feels like pointless waste. Then again, we don't know if information is actually lost; it may be accumulated at the Planck scale, but the important thing in context is that it feels as though information is lost.
The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated—Gandhi.
NewAsc
New Trial Member

Post by NewAsc »

How do you cope with loss? It is not death of a relative what is on my mind. I lived for more than half of my life in one small city. You see it changing in front of your eyes. The old fences replaced with new ones. Although these are so much more sterile and in the process of construction all the plants with berries near them had to be destroyed. The field in front of this cluster of big houses I lived in was dominated and new top residents housing was estabilished in its place.

The point of my nostalgic ramble is the element of change. Immortality brings stagnation in my opinion. Just like you pointed out this process in Rome. Would you preserve past even when it will hurt you in some way? Or would you rather worship everything that is new? There needs to be some degree of consistency between utter chaos and complete stagnation.

If I am after I die elevated to some sort of afterlife (not Heaven, I don´t think I´d belong there), being immortal from that point, it would be weird. I could either watch this world and weep for all that is lost and the mistakes repeated, or devoid of any information I would spent eternity doing whatever would I be doing if I had eternity to do it.

I think you nailed it perfectly. We do not want all to be lost but we cannot keep it same forever. The concept of eternal afterlife might have a lot to do with preserving our past perfectly without stopping the future. Then again, there is so much speculation and not nearly enough facts to decide it conclusively, so it will be still more of a wish than anything else.

Thank you for the answer I will no doubt go over many many times in upcoming days.
Grunth

Post by Grunth »

Belief in afterlife seems to create or empower amorality.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

NewAsc wrote:How do you cope with loss? It is not death of a relative what is on my mind. I lived for more than half of my life in one small city. You see it changing in front of your eyes. The old fences replaced with new ones. Although these are so much more sterile and in the process of construction all the plants with berries near them had to be destroyed. The field in front of this cluster of big houses I lived in was dominated and new top residents housing was established in its place.
It's interesting to see. There is a green space near my home where you can stand on a hill and see the parklands, but with the city's skyscrapers jutting out in the distance behind the treeline. The new world jutting out of the old. Over time that new world will spread.
NewAsc wrote:The point of my nostalgic ramble is the element of change. Immortality brings stagnation in my opinion. Just like you pointed out this process in Rome. Would you preserve past even when it will hurt you in some way? Or would you rather worship everything that is new? There needs to be some degree of consistency between utter chaos and complete stagnation.
Chaos and stagnation, the concerns of conservatives and progressives.

On a personal level it would be nice for growth and development to continue, to continue the journey without becoming decrepit, but we all ultimately have to "surrender to the upgrades".
NewAsc wrote:If I am after I die elevated to some sort of afterlife (not Heaven, I don´t think I´d belong there), being immortal from that point, it would be weird. I could either watch this world and weep for all that is lost and the mistakes repeated, or devoid of any information I would spent eternity doing whatever would I be doing if I had eternity to do it.

I think you nailed it perfectly. We do not want all to be lost but we cannot keep it same forever. The concept of eternal afterlife might have a lot to do with preserving our past perfectly without stopping the future. Then again, there is so much speculation and not nearly enough facts to decide it conclusively, so it will be still more of a wish than anything else.

Thank you for the answer I will no doubt go over many many times in upcoming days.
Yes, heaven as depicted by theists seems a forlorn hope. Still, wouldn't it be fascinating to watch the continued development of life on Earth and see where the story goes? We all have these ideas about what might be going on but none of us get to live to see the answer - frustrating! I would love to see our ancestors (probably mostly made from metal and silicon by then - good on 'em) successfully take to the stars with all the Earth's history they could gather before the planet becomes uninhabitable.

Will they or won't they? What plot twists are in store? Our short lifespans leave us feeling like Game of Thrones fans if RR Martin suddenly decided to quit writing. The crowd wants to know what will happen next, but in our lifespans we are left with what feels like a shaggy dog joke.

Still, if timeless states exist in an afterlife, as are sometimes purported, then maybe there is hope of watching things unfold after all? As you suggest, it's hard to know what we want from an afterlife. We're used to thinking in terms of fairly immediate Earthly concerns, with the shadow of our prospective death always looming and seemingly always thrown in the Put-Off-Until-Later box until we see the Reaper ahead and then we desperately play catch up. In a way, philosophy is a preparation for death - considering those things that the doomed cherish and the healthy ignore.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Immortality or life after death was invented at a time when the inequality of resources between royalty and the rabble was much higher than even today. Thus convincing the easily fooled into putting up with the present because your reward would be later on was a great pacification tool for the ruling class (including the clerical class).
"As usual... it depends."
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

LuckyR wrote:Immortality or life after death was invented at a time when the inequality of resources between royalty and the rabble was much higher than even today. Thus convincing the easily fooled into putting up with the present because your reward would be later on was a great pacification tool for the ruling class (including the clerical class).
Have you forgotten about the spirits of tribal ancestors? :)
The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated—Gandhi.
Felix

Post by Felix »

I'm not aware of any religion that "promises immortality as a reward" (one could say that about science though). A reward for what? Most religions posit that one is/has an immortal soul but it's stated as a fact, not a promise, for how could any earthly authority grant or deny immortality?
"We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are." - Anaïs Nin
Grunth

Post by Grunth »

Felix wrote:I'm not aware of any religion that "promises immortality as a reward" (one could say that about science though). A reward for what? Most religions posit that one is/has an immortal soul but it's stated as a fact, not a promise, for how could any earthly authority grant or deny immortality?
Not heard of 'Heaven', the reward for being 'righteous' and 'good'? Not heard of 'Paradise' for the reward of martyrdom?
Felix

Post by Felix »

Not heard of 'Heaven', the reward for being 'righteous' and 'good'? Not heard of 'Paradise' for the reward of martyrdom?

Sure grunth, but these are not a "promise of immortality" but a promise of how you'll spend your immortal existence if you're a good little boy or girl - caveat emptor.
"We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are." - Anaïs Nin
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Greta wrote:
LuckyR wrote:Immortality or life after death was invented at a time when the inequality of resources between royalty and the rabble was much higher than even today. Thus convincing the easily fooled into putting up with the present because your reward would be later on was a great pacification tool for the ruling class (including the clerical class).
Have you forgotten about the spirits of tribal ancestors? :)
Uummm... I was specifically refering to tribal elders/ancestors.
"As usual... it depends."
Grunth

Post by Grunth »

Felix wrote:Not heard of 'Heaven', the reward for being 'righteous' and 'good'? Not heard of 'Paradise' for the reward of martyrdom?

Sure grunth, but these are not a "promise of immortality" but a promise of how you'll spend your immortal existence if you're a good little boy or girl - caveat emptor.
Could you define, for me, the difference you conceive between 'immortality' and 'immortal existence'?

-- Updated August 6th, 2016, 4:07 pm to add the following --

The difference between an immortal what and an immortality of what? In other words, what is 'what' in either circumstance?
Quotidian
Favorite Philosopher: Nagel

Post by Quotidian »

I think there's a conceptual difference between 'immortality' and 'existing forever'. In other words, I don't believe that religions do actually promise that you will literally 'live forever' in your current form, which would, as the OP suggests, be a rather terrifying prospect. I think what has happened is that the original meaning of the idea has been lost in transmission, as it were - so that it is depicted in terms which we now think we understand, but we actually don't understand at all.
'For there are many here among us who think that life is but a joke' ~ Dylan
Grunth

Post by Grunth »

Quotidian wrote:I think there's a conceptual difference between 'immortality' and 'existing forever'. In other words, I don't believe that religions do actually promise that you will literally 'live forever' in your current form, which would, as the OP suggests, be a rather terrifying prospect. I think what has happened is that the original meaning of the idea has been lost in transmission, as it were - so that it is depicted in terms which we now think we understand, but we actually don't understand at all.
You merely don't believe they do actually promise such things? Only if you ignore the language. The language is what speaks. If it wasn't the language that speaks then there is no use for language. We need to look at the average, everyday religious person. Each are not some sort of sage that deconstructs some deeply coded language to reveal some secret only they can decipher . The impact of religion is it's mass adherents. Without such masses we would not even be aware of a religion's existence and would not have it's influence. It has, however, influenced because it is simple in it's promises.
Quotidian
Favorite Philosopher: Nagel

Post by Quotidian »

Got any citations?
'For there are many here among us who think that life is but a joke' ~ Dylan

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream