The problem before the problem of evil

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
Dclements

Re: The problem before the problem of evil

Post by Dclements »

Alias wrote: In point of fact, there is. A lot. Start here or with Bullfinch or Campbell, or any of the comprehensive overviews, then read into their bibliographies for more detail on each religion's practices.
Thanks. :)
I'll try to look into that when I have a moment, but I didn't find any references to heretics in the one page you gave me. still it is useful for other info.
Alias wrote: This is your surmise. Have any reference?
I think the only thing I have to go on is that I believe it is mentioned a couple times while reading about the various tortures or ordeals people went through while being accused during Christian inquisitions is that such practices where no worse than what some societies did if they caught a witch before being converted to Christianity. And some either mention that such practices carried over even after they were converted to Christianity or even that some forms of torture were banned after Christianity was in place. At any rate either non-Christian or pre-Christian were supposed to be worse than even the methods done by the inquisitions. Of course this is just from what I can remember while reading stuff about the inquisitions; however some methods used such as being drawn and quartered are probably as anything done even by savages.

The only other things I know is the Christians , as well as many non-Christians, where sentenced to be crucified by Romans before Christianity became accepted, certain central and/or south American tribes would sacrifice enemies (and potentially other victims as well) by placing them on a alter and then ripping out their hearts, and that some tribes in Indonesia (as well as other places) would punish anyone they believe was practice witchcraft by cannibalizing them; which is sometimes even done up to this day. However this very little to go on on such a topic that I'm sure is much, much bigger than this.

Even if I had urls that I could give you, the forum bans new members from posting them.
Alias wrote: So, you're interested only in confirmation?

Confirmation and knowing more about it. I doubt that if I found something to confirm what I read that there would be nothing new learned in the process of trying to verifying some of what I read. Also I'm hoping that such information could lead me to other sources to look at.
Alias wrote: Pretty much like saying, "My dad can lick your dad."
But 'the ancient world' was nothing like a single entity. Many people, at various stages of social development, most of them unaware of the existence of most of the others, each tribe or nation with its own beliefs, attitudes, legal codes and responses.
Maybe.
Alias wrote: Frowned, possibly. Boiled in kettles, very rarely. Why do you think the Christian missionaries were able to do so much harm?
Had the natives killed missionaries on sight, as a matter of principle, the world might have spared a lot of strife.
I'm not sure if any of the Europeans themselves did as much harm as the various diseases they brought with them did. My memory may be wrong but I think I read over fifty percent of the population in North, Central, and South America was wiped out by plagues that where carried by people and animals in Europe that came over to the new world. Also since the Europeans came over in waves so if they tried to kill one or more of them, they would still have to deal with future ones who would likely be more hostile and militant than previous ones. On top of that often one tribe would ally the Europeans to fight a rival tribe only be betrayed by the Europeans after the other tribe was wiped out. So between plagues, a more populous/advanced/resourceful Europe, and existing rivalry and wars between the tribes it was unlikely that just targeting the missionaries (which may have actually happen from time to time) could have changed much.
Alias
Favorite Philosopher: Terry Pratchett

Re: The problem before the problem of evil

Post by Alias »

Dclements wrote:
I'll try to look into that when I have a moment, but I didn't find any references to heretics in the one page you gave me.
Why should you? Heresy is a Christian concept. One supposed Christian sect has wiped out other supposedly Christian sects for no better reason than they refused to subscribe to the holy ghost, or let women say no to sex, or ate meat on Friday.
I think the only thing I have to go on is that I believe it is mentioned a couple times while reading about the various tortures or ordeals people went through while being accused during Christian inquisitions is that such practices where no worse than what some societies did if they caught a witch before being converted to Christianity.
Written by Christian clerics, probably. In fact, witchcraft - of a kind: herbal medicine, divination, the making of charms and talismans - was standard practice among the pagans conquered by Rome, and converted to Christianity by force.
... that some forms of torture were banned after Christianity was in place.
I can't imagine where the Inquisition would draw a line.
At any rate either non-Christian or pre-Christian were supposed to be worse than even the methods done by the inquisitions. Of course this is just from what I can remember while reading stuff about the inquisitions; however some methods used such as being drawn and quartered are probably as anything done even by savages.
Supposed by whom? What makes someone a "savage"? Drawing and quartering was standard jurisprudence in civilized England 13th century https://www.britannica.com/topic/drawing-and-quartering and had nothing to do with religion or primitive peoples. There is no difference in cruelty between modern peoples and ancient ones. We are savage now and have never ceased to be savage - the only difference is in technology.
The only other things I know is the Christians , as well as many non-Christians, where sentenced to be crucified by Romans before Christianity became accepted,
That's nothing to do with religion, either: it was the standard punishment for rebellion against the empire. Crassus lined a quite long section of the Appian way with the crucified bodies of the slaves who followed Spartacus. The cross became a Christian symbol only because the putative Jesus was supposed to have been executed as a rebel.
certain central and/or south American tribes would sacrifice enemies (and potentially other victims as well) by placing them on a alter and then ripping out their hearts,
Not tribes; civilizations. The Aztecs, Maya and Incas were as advanced as the Romans. They practiced some religious sacrifices and also killed their enemies, just as the Romans, Hebrews and Babylonians did, yes.
and that some tribes in Indonesia (as well as other places) would punish anyone they believe was practice witchcraft by cannibalizing them;
This, I don't know about. It seems to me unlikely that anyone who believed in witchcraft would eat ingest an evil witch - sounds like asking for supernatural trouble, don't you think?
Cannibals normally eat [a select portion] of an enemy they respect, in order to internalize some of his power.... just as Catholics pretend to eat their sacrificial godling in communion.
Confirmation and knowing more about it.
It is a very large, fascinating subject, well worth reading in a systematic way.
I'm not sure if any of the Europeans themselves did as much harm as the various diseases they brought with them did.
Before any plague, there was steel and gunpowder. Mass murder, enslavement, rapine, destruction and robbery. Then came the priests. Then came the disease.
However, the diseases have stopped. The abuse and robbery have not.
Those who can induce you to believe absurdities can induce you to commit atrocities. - Voltaire

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream