Philosophical heckling

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
Burning ghost

Re: Philosophical heckling

Post by Burning ghost »

Heckling is not a good thing. If religious people want to question someone they have the right, and if non-relgious people want to question someone they have the right.

The OP is antagonistic and the responses of DM are also antagonistic in response to what is essentially an attack on religion.

If an atheist want to walk into a church and question people about their belief he can. If a religious person wishes to question someone about their lack of belief in such and such they can.

Beyond that I think we just resort to flinging **** at each other ... all fun and games and even may help vent some frustration. Not really constructive though.

I say this from my own personal pedestal of **** built over the years from listening to such rants ;) haha

Dark Matter -

I gather you believe in God? What does that mean?

Everyone else -

You don't believe in God? What does that mean?

To all -

We can agree that "heckling" is not really the best way to communicate ideas and thoughts? Some people are bloody annoying and some not so much (regardless of beliefs).

Note: I may be more annoying than any of you and you'll never hear me say I am anything but an antitheist/atheist/theist Godlike figure of boundless stupidity and intelligence.
AKA badgerjelly
Dark Matter
Favorite Philosopher: Paul Tillich

Post by Dark Matter »

When I asked "why?" I was hoping for something more than a victicratic answer. Let me give you another possibility.

It's fine to have an open mind, but not so open that your brains fall out. As Francis Schaeffer observed,: “…the Humanist has both feet firmly planted in mid-air.” Secularism's lack of a moral groundl is seen as dangerous to society and civilization.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Burning ghost wrote:We can agree that "heckling" is not really the best way to communicate ideas and thoughts?
I do not think that is the aim of heckling. It's usually intended as a low level mental and emotional assault against despised opponents, with the aim being disruption and mental disintegration rather than communication of ideas.
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Dark Matter -

Theists don't own morality. I think this would be what is protested by many. The issue, as far as I can see, is that some theists struggle with the idea of "morality" outside of theist rational thought.

Morals can be established simply through empathy. The major concern I hear voiced from thiests is in regard to free-will and determinism.

Ethically and morally we are responsible for what we do and free-will/determinism has zero impact upon this.

It porbably seems as strange to an atheist that a theist dowsn't thunk they possess moral integrity as it does to the theist that an atheist can possess moral integrity. Theist or otherwise some people are more responsible and concerned about people than other are. People.can act in extreme ways and cause great harm even with the best of intentions (both thiests and non-thiests have doen such things).

Greta -

I said "not really the best way", so I agree. The OP is suggesting, ironically, an eye for an eye argument in going to Churches and "heckling" theists.

If some fanatic wants to protest and scream about something and cannot engage in a reasonable discussion I don't think "I should do that!"
AKA badgerjelly
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Burning ghost wrote:Greta -

I said "not really the best way", so I agree. The OP is suggesting, ironically, an eye for an eye argument in going to Churches and "heckling" theists.

If some fanatic wants to protest and scream about something and cannot engage in a reasonable discussion I don't think "I should do that!"
Agreed! For me the issue is the imbalance of "sacredness" and, thus, the relative considered importance of humanist meetings and church services. Personally, I would immediately have fundamentalist hecklers removed, not because of the contrary views, but the method of delivery and the deliberate disruptiveness. I expect the same would happen to hecklers at church services, hopefully.
Dark Matter

Post by Dark Matter »

DG
Don't get me wrong. I do not condone heckling, but I understand it. I agree with Greta that they should be immediately removed, even in a public forum.

But the idea that morals can be established through empathy is ambiguous and culturally determined.
Fooloso4

Post by Fooloso4 »

DM:

But the idea that morals can be established through empathy is ambiguous and culturally determined.

Theism is every bit as ambiguous and culturally determined as empathy. There is, however, an element of empathy that is neither ambiguous nor culturally determined. From birth infants display empathy. They mimic and respond to facial expressions, they smile in response to a smile and get agitated and upset in response to a face that is angry or scared or unhappy. There is also a sense in which empathy and care cannot be taught or learned, only developed. It is quite common to see young children comforting each other. The behavior itself may to some extent be learned but what moves them to act is spontaneous. When someone else is upset they too become upset. This is not something that they have learned. It is biological.

I agree that empathy alone is insufficient, but neither is theism, and in fact, as history shows over and over again, since it relies on human authority masquerading as absolute authority it is particularly prone to the perpetuation of moral abuses.

God and empathy, however, are not the only options on which to establish morality, but a discussion of alternatives is not the subject of this thread.
Dark Matter

Post by Dark Matter »

Fooloso4 wrote:DM:

Theism is every bit as ambiguous and culturally determined as empathy. There is, however, an element of religious-based empathy that is neither ambiguous nor culturally determined.
There ya go.
Fooloso4

Post by Fooloso4 »

DM:

Perhaps you misread what I said, but if you have deliberately misquoted me it is duplicitous. If you believe that there is an element of religious-based empathy that is neither ambiguous nor culturally determined then just say so.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Dark Matter wrote:
LuckyR wrote: (Nested quote removed.)

Uummm... pointing out that historically atheists feel that Believers are missing out a superior worldview while theists look at Nonbelievers as BEING inferior.
Nooo. You're creating an "us" vs. "them" scenario.
I assume that since you have failed to point out a problem with my analysis, that you are in complete agreement. Thanks for the support. And you are correct, BTW that I have identified two groups as nonidentical, guilty as charged on that. Though I don't see where that gets you.
"As usual... it depends."
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Dark Matter wrote:DG
Don't get me wrong. I do not condone heckling, but I understand it. I agree with Greta that they should be immediately removed, even in a public forum.

I don't understand what the last sentence means. Grammatical error?

The idea that morals can be established with empathy is unclear? And/or, the idea that morals can be established is culturally determined?

It would help me a great deal if yoy rewrote this sentence.
AKA badgerjelly
Dark Matter

Post by Dark Matter »

it means that secularism has its feet planted firmly on thin air.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Dark Matter wrote:it means that secularism has its feet planted firmly on thin air.
Unlike the "groundedness" of religious mythology?
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

DM -

Mayeb you don't see the difficulty I have with the sentence? I was not referring to the meaning of it I was referring to the actual sentence structure.
AKA badgerjelly
Dark Matter

Post by Dark Matter »

Greta wrote:
Dark Matter wrote:it means that secularism has its feet planted firmly on thin air.
Unlike the "groundedness" of religious mythology?
Yes.

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream