Philosophical heckling

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
Renee
Favorite Philosopher: Frigyes Karinthy

Philosophical heckling

Post by Renee »

I had been to secular Humanist meetings which had been constantly interrupted by fundamentalist religionists heckling the speakers.

How come it does not happen in reverse? Secular thinkers going to church, and interrupting the liturgy with objections, or pointing out self-contradictions in bible quotes at fundamentalist evangelical Sunday congregations?

Fair is fair. If the seculars can't have peace from the religious right, it ought to be also the other way.
Ignorance is power.
Burning ghost

Re: Philosophical heckling

Post by Burning ghost »

Maybe they just have better things to do with their time? No point in heckling the hecklers or we become just like them.

Does it say something in the bible about turning the other cheek?
AKA badgerjelly
Dark Matter
Favorite Philosopher: Paul Tillich

Post by Dark Matter »

Cool. it's called "karma."
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Renee wrote:I had been to secular Humanist meetings which had been constantly interrupted by fundamentalist religionists heckling the speakers.

How come it does not happen in reverse? Secular thinkers going to church, and interrupting the liturgy with objections, or pointing out self-contradictions in bible quotes at fundamentalist evangelical Sunday congregations?
Because we would be ferociously abused and violently assaulted by adherents to "the religion of love".

Theists believe that they are in touch with the sacred and thus they believe their opinions are of value while those of secularists are simply nothing. Thus they feel justified in trampling over others, as they have done throughout history. Ganging up to destroy others is highly successful in terms of group selection; secularists have never been able to compete with theists and we remain under theistic control today.

We do not live in, and have never lived in, a secular society; theism faded somewhat but remains easily the dominant force in society. With about 80% of elected politicians in the US being religious, theists have continued to control world affairs for decades. Whether it's Confucianism, Buddhism, Islam, Christianity, Hinduism or Taoism, religion maintains control over public policy and socially. So theists heckling in a secular gathering would broadly be considered to simply be reasonable dissent, while atheists heckling in churches would be considered to be disgustingly disrespectful for failing to respect their worship.

This is ultimately about perceived value as a human being. Consider the reason why theists would not broadly be criticised for disrespect for their heckling and you will see how the game is played. To many theists, secularists are barely even human. To them we are nothing - dirt to be blown away at the time of judgement. I don't think secular society appreciates the extent to which they are dehumanised and objectified by theistic cabals in power.
Renee

Post by Renee »

Thank you, Greta, my thoughts exactly.
Ignorance is power.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Thing is, if secularists demand the same respect for their gatherings, then they are accused of forming their own "atheist religion".

What I find most remarkable is that few other groups are as combative and warlike as adherents of the Abrahamic "religions of love", a term sounding increasingly Orwellian in context.
Dark Matter

Post by Dark Matter »

The demonization of theists and self-pity seems to be a fad among secularists nowadays. Pathetic. Their time would be better spent looking at themselves in a mirror rather than calling anyone with a different view ignorant, hypocritical, sexist, intolerant, xenophobic, homophobic, Islamophobic, racist and bigoted.

They use media to demonize and mock the religious and use the courts to destroy their businesses. What the hell do they expect? A pat on the head?
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

There you have an excellent example from the "religion of love". Zero respect. To DM we are just dirt. This is why he cannot see how his "tribe" invaded another's space - even though atheists don't respond in kind (yet). Why the imbalance? Because to many theists, like Dark Matter, atheists are not quite human, inferior beings.

So it's no concern to such theists that a humanist group might want to share their ideas and fellowship without gratuitous interference from antagonists. Why worry about the concerns of atheist scum, right? Secularists have always been hated and controlled by forceful theists and the situation remains the same today, despite the fact that most believers are probably benign.

The situation is changing very slowly, but actual secular (as opposed to faux secular) societies would seem at least a century away. Until then, theists will continue to be able to largely control and harass secularists while strategically claiming the opposite.
Dark Matter

Post by Dark Matter »

Aw, the poor atheist. :cry:
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Dark Matter wrote:Cool. it's called "karma."
Not in Buddhism.
AKA badgerjelly
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Dark Matter wrote:Aw, the poor atheist. :cry:
More venom from the religion of love :lol:
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

There is a difference between antitheists and atheists.
AKA badgerjelly
Renee

Post by Renee »

Burning ghost wrote:There is a difference between antitheists and atheists.
This is very true. Karl Marx, Vladimir Lenin, Matyas Rakosi were anti-theists; Socrates was (or can be argued that he was) an atheist.

I wonder if there are terms for those Christians who are opposed to other Christian faiths to the same strength as (respectively) anti-theists and atheists. For instance, Baptists will never accept other Christian faiths as true or as viable even; and in the age of protestantism actual wars were fought between protestant armies and RC armies. That's serious enough to be called an anti-theist I'd say. Anti-theist of the gods of competing Christian strains of faith.

Not only were wars started, but heretics were burnt at the stake by Christians because the alleged and then convicted heretics' Christian gods were regarded as false idols. Burning heretics is a form of anti-theism, I'd say, and nobody was an atheist involved in these events (which rampantly occurred in an era of Christian and world history).

So yes, burning ghost, I agree with you, anti-theism and atheism are quite different concepts. One simply believes there is no god or gods (atheism); anti-theists actively pursue the reversal of faith in others, from one god to another god, or from one or more gods to no gods.

I also agree that it is important to recognize that this difference exists.
Ignorance is power.
Surreptitious57

Post by Surreptitious57 »

Not that I do but were I giving a speech and a fundamentalist was heckling me the right thing to do would be to give them the platform instead. I do not think that every one that disagrees with me is automatically ignorant or hypocritical or bigoted. Free
speech is for everyone not just those whose voice I like the sound of. So I listen to all opinion across the spectrum. Even if you
are ignorant or hypocritical or bigoted you still have a right to be heard the same as anyone else. No one should be denied this
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

I am a "theist" in one sense (semantically complex and possibly misleading for me to say that given the personal way I view the concept "god"). I am also an "atheist" in another sense. And I am also an "antitheist" in another sense.

No matter what you say someone will oppose you. You can refute what they say, argue and try and convert them, or you can simply try and understand and see if you can find a fresh perspective. Regardless of what you choose to do you always fall prey to each of these because you are merely human with mere human judgementality.

That is my judgement anyway! Take it as a pat on the back or a kick up the **** ... your choice not mine ;)
AKA badgerjelly

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream